Error installing windows 7 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dan_pinheiro
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Error installing windows 7 guest

Post by dan_pinheiro »

hi all
that´s my first experience with Vbox.
I´ve just downloaded and installed the last release in Windows 7 Professional with success (HP Notebook Pavilion Intel Core i5 430M)
The problem is when I try to install a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits guest with an original media...
Setup load the initial files and display the error:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
INFO: An unexpected error has occurred

Intel VT is enabled in BIOS and the option is defined on the guest settings. With the option unchecked the error persists.
I have no Win 7 32 bits media to test.
No good information on Google.
Any Idea?
Tks a lot...

Dan Pinheiro.
Rio de Janeiro
Brasil

MOD Edit: Multi or cross posting is not allowed. Other post deleted.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Error installing windows 7 guest

Post by Sasquatch »

The problem is that you're trying to install an OS that's build for your Host hardware specifically. The OEM license does not allow you to install this on other hardware anyway. The 'recovery' disc has just the hardware drivers for your Host. VB provides different hardware and thus the boot fails.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Urp
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: other distros

Post by Urp »

Hello,
Sorry to hear this. Another reason to switch to Linux. We wished to install Windows 7 on the wifes machine with her recovery disks so she could test software out before installing on her host machine. I figured it would not work but we gave it a try any way. Windows is a lame OS.

Thanks for the info..
WojtekWojtek
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Mint Debian Edition, Windows XP

Post by WojtekWojtek »

Maybe it's not that and you haven't checked "Enable IO APIC" option in the virtual machine general settings panel?
It's always the easiest thing to criticize Windows :) ...
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Urp wrote:Hello,
Sorry to hear this. Another reason to switch to Linux. We wished to install Windows 7 on the wifes machine with her recovery disks so she could test software out before installing on her host machine. I figured it would not work but we gave it a try any way. Windows is a lame OS.

Thanks for the info..
You can't usually install an OS from the recovery disks (quite apart from the licensing requirements). The recovery disks are aimed at installing on the exact same hardware as the purchased machine. They will usually not install on different hardware, and a virtual machine certainly has different (emulated) hardware. That means the installation will not work even on a virtual machine running on the original purchased machine.
Bill
ged
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7 64-bit

Post by ged »

This error troubled me for a time until I figured out that I'd been led up the garden path by VirtualBox itself.

When I first tried to install Windows 7 as a guest OS I chose names like "Win7" and "Windows 7" for the guests.

VirtualBox obligingly chose "Windows 7" as the guest OS and that seemed right and very helpful to me.

Wrong.

The OS was actually 64-bit Windows 7 and by choosing "Windows 7" for me, VirtualBox neatly avoided my finding out that this is not the correct choice from the drop-down list of operating systems. After several abortive installations which all resulted in the same infuriating "unexpected error" I happened to choose the name "7" for my next installation. This time, VirtualBox chose "Windows XP" for me so obviously I clicked on the drop-down box to change it.

Imagine my delight when I saw that in the list, in addition to "Windows 7", there is an entry for "Windows 7 64-bit".

So I chose that and it started the installation. Which is proceeding as I write. Stay tuned.

Oh, PS: The reason I chose so many different names for the same one guest OS installation is that when you delete a machine it appears to leave a stale .xml file lying around in the configuration and it won't let you create another guest with that name as a result.
John Bower

Post by John Bower »

Hi,

I just want to say thanks to Ged. I was having this problem and switching to 'Windows 7 (64 bit)' was exactly what I needed to do.

Cheers!