(Solved)can't build guest additions 3.8.0-1.generic kernel

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

(Solved)can't build guest additions 3.8.0-1.generic kernel

Post by loukingjr »

I have Lubuntu 13.04 installed as a guest. It's been running fine until the current kernel update. Now I am getting a "can't find the headers for the currently running kernel" message although the headers seem to be there.
in /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/make.log I see this...

Code: Select all

DKMS make.log for vboxguest-4.2.6 for kernel 3.8.0-1-generic (x86_64)
Sat Jan 19 17:26:04 EST 2013
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-1-generic'
  LD      /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/built-in.o
  LD      /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/vboxguest/built-in.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/vboxguest/VBoxGuest-linux.o
/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/vboxguest/VBoxGuest-linux.c:199:49: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘g_VBoxGuestPciId’
/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/vboxguest/VBoxGuest-linux.c:328:21: error: ‘g_VBoxGuestPciId’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/vboxguest/VBoxGuest-linux.c:209:1: error: ‘__mod_pci_device_table’ aliased to undefined symbol ‘g_VBoxGuestPciId’
make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/vboxguest/VBoxGuest-linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/vboxguest] Error 2
make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-1-generic'
and in the vboxadd-install.log I see this...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=3.8.0-1-generic -C /lib/modules/3.8.0-1-generic/build M=/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build....(bad exit status: 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/apport/package-hooks/dkms_packages.py", line 22, in <module>
    import apport
ImportError: No module named apport
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.8.0-1-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.2.6/build/make.log for more information.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
grep: /lib/modules/3.8.0-1-generic/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.8.0-1-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
	echo >&2;							\
	echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
	echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
	echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
	echo >&2 ;							\
	/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.VBoxGuest-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.7/include  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-1-generic/arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-1-generic/arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-1-generic/include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-1-generic/include/linux/kconfig.h -Iubuntu/include  -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mno-sse -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fstack-protector -DCONFIG_X86_X32_ABI -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -pg -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/VBoxGuestMangling.h -I/lib/modules/3.8.0-1-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxguest/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxguest/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxguest/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DVBOX -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_GUEST -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DIN_MODULE -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBGL_VBOXGUEST -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(VBoxGuest_linux)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxguest)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_VBoxGuest-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/VBoxGuest-linux.c
/tmp/vbox.0/VBoxGuest-linux.c:199:49: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘g_VBoxGuestPciId’
/tmp/vbox.0/VBoxGuest-linux.c:328:21: error: ‘g_VBoxGuestPciId’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/tmp/vbox.0/VBoxGuest-linux.c:209:1: error: ‘__mod_pci_device_table’ aliased to undefined symbol ‘g_VBoxGuestPciId’
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/VBoxGuest-linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [vboxguest] Error 2
Creating user for the Guest Additions.
Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.
I have no idea what any of it means. any thoughts?
Last edited by loukingjr on 28. Feb 2013, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: can't build guest additions 3.8.0-1.generic kernel

Post by Perryg »

Looks like they broke it again, it happens when they get close to release. I would wait a day or so and see if an update makes its way. Either that or report this to launchpad.
I had a tussle with 3.8.0 and the headers being messed up, but they fixed it fairly quick.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Perryg wrote:Looks like they broke it again, it happens when they get close to release. I would wait a day or so and see if an update makes its way. Either that or report this to launchpad.
I had a tussle with 3.8.0 and the headers being messed up, but they fixed it fairly quick.
okay thanks Perry
robatino

Post by robatino »

I reported essentially the same issue here, with Fedora Rawhide: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11036#comment:17
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

well here's something new. now I can't even mount the guest additions .iso to try and install them.

Error mounting /dev/sr0 at /media/louis/VBOXADDITIONS_4.2.6_82870: Command-line `mount -t "iso9660" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500" "/dev/sr0" "/media/louis/VBOXADDITIONS_4.2.6_82870"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: unknown filesystem type 'iso9660'
gotta love alphas :roll:
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The only way to fix this without waiting for the next maintenance release is to expand the guest additions and fix it yourself then run the setup from your repaired GAs.

Here is the link to the fix. https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/44317/vbox

Also keep in mind that if you are using the Ubuntu daily testing ISO the Unity DT does not work. I installed cinnamon and it works though.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Perryg wrote:The only way to fix this without waiting for the next maintenance release is to expand the guest additions and fix it yourself then run the setup from your repaired GAs.

Here is the link to the fix. https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/44317/vbox

Also keep in mind that if you are using the Ubuntu daily testing ISO the Unity DT does not work. I installed cinnamon and it works though.
Thanks Perry. I actually have no idea how to do that but I can wait for the maintenance release. I actually was playing with Lubuntu and Xubuntu. I don't care for Unity anyway.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

fixed with VB 4.2.8