Virtualbox Manager has stopped working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mikeybikey

Virtualbox Manager has stopped working

Post by mikeybikey »

Hi

I've installed a guest Fedora 16 64 bit on my Windows 7 64 bit machine with hardware virtualisation support. F16 installs fine. At the end of the install it asks you to reboot and when you click the reboot button it crashes. However, when I restart it I get put into the F16 first boot sequence just like I should. The problem is that when I get to the end of the first boot and am presented with the send profile screen when I press Finish I get a Windows error "Virtualbox Manager has stopped working". I can repeat that behaviour ad nauseum.

I have scrapped all my VMs and created a new one. I've re-installed Virtualbox twice and used the repair app as well but nothing changes.

This is all very strange because the first time I installed it everything worked perfectly without a hitch. Besides that I really bashed it to make sure it was stable. I only uninstalled it in the first place because I wanted to help step a friend through the install process. This leads me to suspect that there are old files around that are somehow messing up my new install(s).

And yes I know there are 90 threads on the same topic. But when I try to read them I just get lost in the process.

I have attached the most recent log and Windows crash dump.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
Mike
Attachments
VirtualBox.exe.6684.zip
(239.17 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
F16-2012-12-10-17-21-19.log
(51.62 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
mikeybikey

Re: Virtualbox Manager has stopped working

Post by mikeybikey »

Hi

I just noticed the following line in the log I posted:
00:00:20.398361 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 4.2.4 r81684; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP unusable because of 'Failed to locate the main module ('VBoxPuelMain')')
I checked in the relevant Windows folder and VBoxPuelMain is there.
mikeybikey

Post by mikeybikey »

If I go to Preferences > Extension and mouse over the extension pack name I get this:
Failed to locate the main module ('VBoxPuelMain')
If I then try to remove the extension pack so that I can reinstall it I get this:
Failed to uninstall the Extension Pack Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack

The installer failed with exit code 1:
VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe: error: Failed to rename the extension pack directory: VERR_ALREADY_EXISTS

rcExit = 1
Under details I get this:
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManager
Interface: IExtPackManager {3295e6ce-b051-47b2-9514-2c588bfe7554}
I'm running VirtualBox 4.2.4 and Extensionn Pack 4.2.4 as well.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
mikeybikey

Post by mikeybikey »

Problem solved. When I moused over the extension pack and got the message about the module not being located I tried to delete it and then reinstall it. No go. So I went to the Extensions folder and deleted the extensions there. Then I reinstalled from the extension pack download and suddenly everthing started working. Whoopee!

Case closed (I hope)