Discuss the 4.2.4 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 4.2.4 release

Post by frank »

Discuss the 4.2.4 release here.
You can download it from here.

Please note that we still didn't fix the 3D issues with Ubuntu 12.10 guests. The vboxvideo module is not auto-loaded. While this can easily be fixed, enabling 3D passthrough for Ubuntu guests will often crash the VM. We think we found a fix for this problem but it needs more testing. We decided to do the 4.2.4 release today anyway to fix a few nasty bugs.
smithlar
Primary OS: openSUSE
Guest OSses: WinXP32 WinXP64 Win7-32 Win7-64 openSUSE64 OS2 Win10

Re: Discuss the 4.2.4 release

Post by smithlar »

The sha256sums and md5sums are not yet downloadable.
Leak
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Debian Testing, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003/2008 R2

Post by Leak »

I'm pretty sure the changelog is incorrect as far as the bug number here is concerned:

"Parallel: fixed parallel port printing failure/ paper queue empty error (Windows hosts only; bug #2226)"

Bug 2226 was about the floppy drive and was closed as fixed 3 years ago... :)
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Right. Actually there was not public bug related to the problem, the fix is related to this report. Thanks for the report!
N8DNX

Post by N8DNX »

When updating to the current release, I once again find I have to go back to Preferences, Network to set my static IP addresses so as to be compatible with all of my virtual machine settings.

Is there a way to stop VirtualBox from doing this on subsequent updates? Shouldn't it just leave those settings along when doing an update?
John Woods

Post by John Woods »

I have two linux guests, an XP and a Win7. The first three survived an upgrade to Vbox 4.2.4. The Win7 cannot be booted under 4.2.4 - the display shows "Full Disk" then the dialog box for critical error pops up. The message confused me for a while but now it looks like it is nothing to do with disk usage, but the first two words of the "Full Disk Encryption" message which displays momentarily before the PointSec FDE boot loader appears. Only regressing back to virtualbox 4.1.22 allows me to boot the machine. (None of the other machines have FDE).
verdy_p

Post by verdy_p »

While upgrading Virtual Box with this version, I get a message about missing language files in nls/ directory.
It instructs me to go to my preferences and select my language, which is correct.
In fact, the previous French locale has been deleted by the (Windows) installer, and not replaced...
So you forgot to include the French locale in this release (and this removal is not indicated in the changelog)
curts

Post by curts »

Upgrade of host v4.1.22 to 4.2.4 failed (hung during install) on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Had to recover by first rolling back to the System Restore checkpoint created by the v4.2.4 installer and then repaired the existing host installation in Programs and Features Control Panel after attempting to launch an existing VM failed post-restore.
str

Post by str »

my host is rebooting :S
bulletmark
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.12
Guest OSses: linux,mac

Post by bulletmark »

Frank Mehnert wrote: Please note that we still didn't fix the 3D issues with Ubuntu 12.10 guests. The vboxvideo module is not auto-loaded. While this can easily be fixed, enabling 3D passthrough for Ubuntu guests will often crash the VM. We think we found a fix for this problem but it needs more testing.
Jeepers this fix seems a long time coming? Ubuntu 12.10 is essentially unusable in current Virtualbox. I'm surprised this issue is not a priority?
mannerheim

Post by mannerheim »

I have Windows 7 x64 as Host, trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 on VirtualBox. The problem is that after it finishes the install process and asks for reboot, the Ubuntu 12.10 vbox window crashes with the following message:
Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
I guess the problem is with this latest release, as I have another Ubuntu 12.10 installation on the laptop but within a older VirtualBox version.
desertrat

Post by desertrat »

Running on OS X. Cannot install the Extensions Pack, there is none for 4.2, just 4.0 and 4.1, they will not install. So this upgrade made VB unusable. I hope someone knows how to fix this, any helped would be highly appreciated :)
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

desertrat wrote:Running on OS X. Cannot install the Extensions Pack, there is none for 4.2, just 4.0 and 4.1, they will not install.
The VirtualBox 4.2.4 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack is available at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
johnlee

Post by johnlee »

Not just 4.2.4, but isn't it time that the really really old vboxes eg v1.x,v2.x,v3.x are put into another folder within download eg archive or old_versions? Standard practice, avoid clutter, ensures that people focus on last versions. J
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

johnlee wrote:Not just 4.2.4, but isn't it time that the really really old vboxes eg v1.x,v2.x,v3.x are put into another folder within download eg archive or old_versions? Standard practice, avoid clutter, ensures that people focus on last versions. J
The extension packs listed on the Download page are the 3 currently supported versions of VirtualBox. From stable to devel Not v1, v2, Etc. Those are located at http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/