Win2000 tcp/ip (internet play) for Warlords III: DLR

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
spatulon

Win2000 tcp/ip (internet play) for Warlords III: DLR

Post by spatulon »

Hi, I have a windows 2000 guest which has Warlords III: DLR and the guest additions installed, but it can't connect to (or even see) anyone through tcp/ip multiplayer.

I've tried changing NAT to bridged and forwarded the ports for the guest and host's ips in my router.

Is it a known issue that you can't play via tcp/ip with virtual box and are there any settings I can try modifying to allow the game to communicate correctly over the internet?

Web browsing works just fine with both NAT and bridged.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win2000 tcp/ip (internet play) for Warlords III: DLR

Post by mpack »

To all intents and purposes, TCP/IP == The Internet. And no, people do not generally have trouble getting it to work.

An interactive game might require bridged networking, so I would stick with that. If the browser is working in bridged mode then your issue is probably one of proper configuration of the game. I'm assume this game doesn't rely on servers which are now dead?
spatulon

Post by spatulon »

it doesn't rely on servers

i just tested it on a winXP guest and it is able to find and join games hosted by friends over tcp/ip but cannot host as noone can see my game

on my win7 host i am able to join AND host

both guests/host have 0 firewalls but the game does require port forwarding which i have done for the bridged guests but that still didn't allow hosting for xp

at this point if i can get hosting working for winXP i'll be happy
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

spatulon wrote:it is able to find and join games hosted by friends over tcp/ip but cannot host as noone can see my game
Your VM acting as a server (host for the game) will definitely require that you use bridged networking.
spatulon

Post by spatulon »

I have been using bridged network.

Bridged network is the only way I can see/join games on the XP guest, but that doesn't allow it to host

I have windows firewall off on the XP guest + have forwarded the required ports for the ip of the XP guest for the bridged network

There isn't anything else I can think of that would be preventing it from hosting within my knowledge, since I'm treating it the same as my host system that can host