Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
backarc:wa

USB not properly working

Post by backarc:wa »

Running Windows 8 (Prof., final) as guest on OS X 10.8.
Using VirtualBox 4.2.1
Extension pack installed.
Guest Additions on Win 8 also installed.

When I set a general filter for USB devices, I cannot get my Wacom Intuos5 working.
Windows doesn't recognize the device as HID device or as any useable USB at all.
frosh

Re: Windows 8?

Post by frosh »

saberman wrote:I can install Windows 8 on my hardware. If I can't install it in VirtualBox there is a bug in VirtualBox which Oracle is not only unwilling to fix but is unwilling to admit. They won't even acknowledge that the problem exists.
Leave it off. I mean it. It's hopeless. I've encountered a installation W8 problem kind of yours two months ago. I've got only a indistinct mumbling about piracy, official releases and so on in response. Experts have no even slightest idea to all appearance or maybe pride doesn't allow to give a clear reply.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

VirtualBox 4.2.1 + Guest Additions + OSX 10.8.2

doesn't seem that hopeless
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
polomint

Post by polomint »

I find that Windows 8 works fine in the latest release of VBox... well, except for IE throwing a fit (crashing) everytime I ask it to load a website... Chrome works fine though..

I do have a problem with a game that I am trying to play. It constantly refuses to create a D3D9 window (or even fullscreen), and yes I have installed DX9, it just keeps saying that there is not enough memory (I've set it to 256MB) to run on the desktop :(
Banjo233

Post by Banjo233 »

does anyone have problems with CDDVD rom drivers? Windows 8 says I don't have the compatible driver to install from a DVD but there aren't any updates currently. any solutions?
silvanet
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 2000

Post by silvanet »

I have the latest version of VirtualBox. I am trying to install a totally legal Windows 8 into a virtual machine to test drive it. My hardware meets all the requirements. I begin with a resolution setting on my host required to support the installation and full 32 bit highest color quality. However, when I do the installation, VirtualBox reports that the host has 24 bit and too low a resolution. The final result of the installation is that I get Windows 8 in a screen that requires scrolling to view entirely. It doesn't matter what changes I make to the resolution settings either in the guest box or in the host hardware. The screen size can change, but I still have the scroll bars and can't view the entire Windows 8 screen. I've tried changing various settings but nothing works. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?
silvanet
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 2000

Post by silvanet »

By the way, there can be no issues of piracy; or, at least, that cannot be an excuse. Microsoft is offering ninety day free trials of the full Windows 8 installation - totally legal.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

silvanet wrote:I have the latest version of VirtualBox. I am trying to install a totally legal Windows 8 into a virtual machine to test drive it. My hardware meets all the requirements. I begin with a resolution setting on my host required to support the installation and full 32 bit highest color quality. However, when I do the installation, VirtualBox reports that the host has 24 bit and too low a resolution. The final result of the installation is that I get Windows 8 in a screen that requires scrolling to view entirely. It doesn't matter what changes I make to the resolution settings either in the guest box or in the host hardware. The screen size can change, but I still have the scroll bars and can't view the entire Windows 8 screen. I've tried changing various settings but nothing works. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?
I just installed Win 8 RP 64 bit on my wife's VirtualBox 4.2.2 running on a Win 7 Home 64 bit host. It gave me the same message about 24 bit. I ignored the message. I also installed 4.2.2 Guest Additions and 4.2.2 Extension Pack. There are no scroll bars, I can change the size of the Win 8 window with no problems.

Good luck, Jim
spoffley
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP Solaris10 Mandriva

Post by spoffley »

I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 professional 64 Bit to Windows 8 PRO 64 Bit, it goes through the install and reboots at which point it hangs with a black screen and blue windows Logo. I am running VirtualBox 4.2.0 r80737 on an Ubuntu Host 12.04.1 LTS. I have tried the upgrade and keep everything path and the upgrade and wipe everything path but they consistently stop.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Any fix for this problem yet? I'm running Windows 8 release version on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit using VirtualBox version 4.2.4r81684. I've also tried it with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Both do the same thing: the Windows 8 store WILL NOT WORK. (Says pending, then downloading, then either an error or just forever downloading). Also, the Guest Additions cause the display to go black at random times. I have to kill the process and re-start and then (with much consternation as the screen keeps going black) uninstall the guest additions...

Anyone?
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

Well, it is obvious that the VirtualBox Windows 8 machines are not ready for prime time. Some people have installation issues and some people have Guest Additions issues. In my case, everything works OK except Angry Birds fails with a message about no support for OpenGL. I just finished installing Windows 8 RTM 32 bit on a VMWare Player installation on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Everything went smoothly AND Angry Birds works just fine. So, I am going to let VirtualBox get this thing fixed with some future release and quit beating my head against the wall. I like VirtualBox features better than VMWare Player, so I am going to continue to monitor the situation.

Maybe this thread is ready to be closed and other threads can continue with Window 8 issues.

Good luck, Jim
jjgalvez

Post by jjgalvez »

can wclose this thread and start a new one considering that windows8 just came out, many of the issues her may no longer be relivant, or at h veryleast its difficult to put all of win8 issus inasinge tread
Owen

Post by Owen »

I'm still having this issue. Installed RELEASE version of Windows 8 on Windows 7 Ultimate (both 32 and 64 bit versions) and the store just doesn't work.
p

Post by p »

I installed my university edition Win8 enterprise on Mac host (MBP-retina). Works beautifully with guest addition 4.2. Problem is running cisco polycom software. Error is update openGL from 1.x to 2.x or higher. How can I update openGL? Or, should I just install Win7. I only need to run the polycom program. University does not purchase the mac version.
Steve1010

Post by Steve1010 »

This error pops up when the vm is started. Anyone know how to fix?

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine AX 2012.

VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR. (VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}