Discuss the 4.2.2 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Discuss the 4.2.2 release

Post by frank »

This is for discussing the first maintenance release of VirtualBox 4.2.
Zium
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win98, WinXP, Win2003

Re: Discuss the 4.2.2 release

Post by Zium »

First feedbacks :

1) On Virtualbox download page : the link to extpack is broken

2) Upgraded from 4.2.0 on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bits host

I got this error :
File > Preferences
Invalid settings detected : the value of the Host field on the Proxy page is not complete.

Workaround : on the proxy page, tick "Enable Proxy", put anything in host and port and untick "Enable proxy"
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

Zium wrote: I got this error :
File > Preferences
Invalid settings detected : the value of the Host field on the Proxy page is not complete.

Workaround : on the proxy page, tick "Enable Proxy", put anything in host and port and untick "Enable proxy"
same problem and workaround on debian wheezy amd64. bit annoying as you can't click the ok button on preferences.
AntiMatter
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
Guest OSses: All Windows (x32 & x64), Linux

Post by AntiMatter »

Just file a new bug: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11080

The Copy/Paste still not working when Guest OS is Windows Server 2012 (Host is LinuxMint 11 or Windows 7 , both 64 bits). No issue with older Windows guest.
blueytoo

Post by blueytoo »

Thanks for the fix for the "Invalid setting detected" bug. On MacOS 10.6.8 host, there is *no* clue as to which setting is wrong.

Bug tracker start page appears to be here as found by google, couldn't find a link from ticket page or home page or anywhere sensible...

(I wish I could post a link but "You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.")

www<dot>virtualbox<dot>org/wiki/Bugtracker
----
MBP 17" early 2011 2.3GHz; MacOS 10.6.8 Server (64bit); Windows7 (64bit); VB 4.2.18; BootCamp 3.3
Leak
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Debian Testing, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003/2008 R2

Post by Leak »

http://www.virtualbox.org > Community > Public bugtracker

Three bullets below the link to this very forum...
dj_palindrome
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Knoppix, Debian, Windows XP

Post by dj_palindrome »

There appears to be a flaw in the Windows installer script, probably custom actions.

Upgrading from 4.2.0 to 4.2.2 on a Windows 7 x64 host produces the following:

"--Error Renaming Connection-- Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists. Specify a different name."

The msi logs indicate the installation was 'sucessful'. However in addition to the 'Proxy' issue already reported, the Host-only Networks section of VirtualBox Settings is completely blank.
elduderin0

Post by elduderin0 »

Zium wrote:First feedbacks :

1) On Virtualbox download page : the link to extpack is broken

2) Upgraded from 4.2.0 on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bits host

I got this error :
File > Preferences

Ah! Sweet, thanks. Fixed for me now via workaround.
Kom-Si

Post by Kom-Si »

Zium wrote: Invalid settings detected : the value of the Host field on the Proxy page is not complete.
thanks for the workaround - wouldn't have guessed it myself. )
Etepetete
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Slackware 14.2

Post by Etepetete »

I also recived the notification "Invalid settings detected : the value of the Host field on the Proxy page is not complete." I thought there must be an invalid entry in the VirtualBox.xml file. I opened it in Notepad++ and to my surprise, there wasn't any entry at all. I implemented the fix as described above and then VirtualBox placed the following entry in the VirtualBox.xml file

Code: Select all

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/ProxySettings" value="proxyDisabled,mmm,1111,authDisabled,,"/>
So, then I thought, now that the entry is there I can remove the random values I entered so that the value then looked like this

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/ProxySettings" value="proxyDisabled,,,authDisabled,,"/>
After I closed VBox I saved my changes to the VirtualBox.xml file and after restarting VBox I recieved the notification again "Invalid settings detected : the value of the Host field on the Proxy page is not complete."
I looked at the Network settings in the Global Settings page and noticed that the Host-Only Ethernet Adapter was listed as being manually configured. (I didn't configure manually, I only installed it while updating VBox.) I clicked on the screw driver to change the Host-Only Network. Without changing anything, I clicked okay and the notification "Invalid settings detected : the value of the Host field on the Proxy page is not complete." went away. I quit VBox and the Entry for the Proxy was also removed from the VirtualBox.xml file. :?: So, I decided to start VBox again and remove the Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, after quitting and restarting again, install the Host-Only Ethernet Adapter anew. After uninstalling the Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, the notification "Invalid settings detected : the value of the Host field on the Proxy page is not complete." re-appered again. The new Host-Only Ethernet Adapter was installed but with different IP-Address. The DHCP-Server didn't get set up. I changed the IP-Address back to the standard and re-entered the values for the DHCP-Server. All of that didn't bring any improvement.

I then compared the present VirtualBox.xml file to the backup I had of the VBox version 4.2.0 and found 2 new entries in the version 4.2.2:

<ExtraDataItem name="HostOnly/VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter/IPAddress" value="192.168.56.1"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="HostOnly/VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter/IPNetMask" value="255.255.255.0"/>
After Making a backup of the present VirtualBox.xml I decided to test what happens, when I delete those entries.
Nothing happens.

After all of that I conclude that the Host-Only Ethernet Adapter some how clashes with the Proxy setting. (see above, making changes to the adapter deletes proxy entry in VirtualBox.xml)
hootjr

Post by hootjr »

There are issues with 3d support (both in OL6 and in Windows7) on 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 r81494.

4.2.1:
=====
- Linux Guest - If you enable "Desktop Effects" from Gnome in OL6, it will work just fine (wobbly windows and all), but the frame buffer is pushing the image up maybe 20-40 pixels.
- Windows Guest - The same is true in Windows 7 with the WDDM driver-- enable Aero seems to work just fine with effects. But the image is pushed up 20-40 pixels.
- NOTE: if you go to "Full Screen" mode with either Gnome or Windows 7, everything seems to work just fine. So this only has to do with "windowed" mode.

4.2.2:
=====
- Linux Guest - "Desktop Effects" don't seem to even allow you to enable them from Gnome anymore with the new guest additions installed.
- Windows Guest - still the pixel issue.
- NOTE: "Full Screen" mode still works with Windows7, but does NOT work with Gnome.

I am running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Virtualbox 4.2.2 r81494.
hootjr

Post by hootjr »

bug #11124 posted regarding this.