Ubuntu boot loader a problem?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Jakob

Ubuntu boot loader a problem?

Post by Jakob »

Hello
Just a newbie question -
I'm trying VirtualBox on Windows XP and I want to install Ubuntu within it. However Ubuntu wants to install a boot loader on HD0. Will that present a problem with my normal boot of my XP machine? Will the Ubuntu boot loader affect anything outside the realm of VirtualBox?
firecat53

Post by firecat53 »

As long as the installation is actually running within VirtualBox on a virtual hard drive, you're fine. Everything that happens will only affect the virtual disk, which in reality is just a big file on your real hard drive. And you can just erase the file if you don't like it or anything goes wrong :)

Good luck!
Scott
Jakob

very strange

Post by Jakob »

Thank you for your answer. However, something is wrong. After the installation I reboot the virtual Ubuntu but it doesn't boot into anything. There is just a blank screen with a static cursor in the left corner. I have stated the virtual machine several times, but it didn't help
What can be wrong? I've tried with a different Linux distribution, but with the same outcome :?: I've installed from sound ISOs, but I must have missed something.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Did you actually get to the bootloader stage in the setup? Perhaps you skipped it, or the installer stopped before it had the change to install it properly. Run the installer again, then go to the point where it want's to install and install only the bootloader. Either Grub or Lilo will do.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
firecat53

Post by firecat53 »

What version of Ubuntu have you installed? The amd64 versions will not work, and the server version requires you to check the 'PAE support' box in the general settings for the VM. Also perhaps check your boot order in the settings and make sure the hard drive is selected as an option!

Scott