Can not Mount guest additions in guest linux

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
steve723

Can not Mount guest additions in guest linux

Post by steve723 »

I downloaded Virtualbox today because I have been trying to get wine 64bit to run my games and it appears a lot of people are having trouble getting 64 bit wine to run 32 bit games and other Windows programs. I thought i would get 64 bit Virtual box and install kubuntu 12.04.1 32 bit then install wine 32 bit and see if i have better luck. I can not get the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso to mount in the guest:
Unable to mount the cd/dvd image
/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso on the
machine Perciseforwine. Would you like to force mounting
of this medium?
Details

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}
Callee:
IMachine {22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858}
Force umount also failed.
Please help. :?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can not Mount guest additions in guest linux

Post by mpack »

Where did you get this ISO? For that matter, where did you get the VirtualBox software you are using?

It might help if you posted a log file from the VM you are trying to mount the ISO into (post as a zipped attachment please). The VM log file is called "VBox.log", and can be found in the "Logs" subfolder of your VM folder.

Personally I would not expect heavily graphics oriented games to run in Wine, whether 32bit or 64bit. Wine's forte is support for the Win32/Win64 GUI API, whereas games will make heavy use of DirectX.
steve723

Post by steve723 »

I got from virtualbox.com.
Attachments
VBox.log
Here is the file you requested. I hope it's in the format you requested as I do not know how to post anything else.
(99.58 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Y E T I
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: ?

Post by Y E T I »

Unmount the install ISO while the guest is shut down. Then boot the guest and click the device tab and install guest additions.
Make sure that you have installed dkms build-essential and linux-headers-generic before.

Although you picked the very worst DT manager for graphics in a virtual machine. KDE does not play well with 3D acceleration.
steve723

Post by steve723 »

Y E T I wrote:Unmount the install ISO while the guest is shut down. Then boot the guest and click the device tab and install guest additions.
Make sure that you have installed dkms build-essential and linux-headers-generic before.

Although you picked the very worst DT manager for graphics in a virtual machine. KDE does not play well with 3D acceleration.
What do you mean unmount the install iso? I dont see any way to unmount something from a VM.

I finally thought that maybe you meant I had to install the stuff in the guest and I installed to the host. I installed dkms but the linux headers failed:

Code: Select all

Sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
reading package lists... Done
Building dependancy tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-geniric
Moderator paraphrase: first attempt had a spelling error, Guest Additions successfully installed when I fixed that.
Last edited by steve723 on 9. Oct 2012, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Shut down the guest, and open the settings for the guest. Look in the storage and to the right where you see the CD/DVD. Click on the drop down arrow to the right of that and select to remove disk...
steve723

Post by steve723 »

Perryg wrote:Shut down the guest, and open the settings for the guest. Look in the storage and to the right where you see the CD/DVD. Click on the drop down arrow to the right of that and select to remove disk...
Do you mean the IDE controller becuse there is no CD/DVD listing. Under that it says VBoxGuestAdditions.iso but there is no drop down arrow.

I am using VB version 4.2.0 r80737, maybe you use a different version?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

See screen shot. But if it says the guest additions are there already then you simply need to start the install manually in a terminal.
Attachments
CD-Attach.png
CD-Attach.png (38.93 KiB) Viewed 55907 times
steve723

Post by steve723 »

I think I installed guest additions finally. Sheesh. I think the Vbox help file needs to be more clear. Thanks for your help guys. Now onto wine.

My mouse wheel dosn't work. How can i get it working?
steve723

Post by steve723 »

It appears that the guest additions only looked like they installed as shared folders do not work or do I need to reboot the host?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Post the /var/log/vboxadd-install.log for the guest. (as an attachment)
steve723

Post by steve723 »

Perryg wrote:Post the /var/log/vboxadd-install.log for the guest. (as an attachment)
Attachments
vbox-install.log
This was the only VBox log file in there.
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Enough with the spelling subtopic please. Keep to the point. In fact I think I'm just going to delete that stuff.
steve723

Post by steve723 »

I finally figured out how to get the Guest Additions installed. After mounting them i had to open dolphin, select the Guest additions DVD, right click on the file and type in sudo and then click ok. A konsole opened up and asked for the password. Then i waited a while for the install to complete. Now I need to download and install the extension pack so, i can use my usb2 ports to get better thruput from my usb devices which includes the external hard drive that my host and guest are on. The built in drive has Windows vista home. I also have to reinstall win and Star Trek Online as the guest addition install deleted them!
mbonaci

Post by mbonaci »

Running VirtualBox v4.2.18 on Windows7 x64, to install Guest Additions on 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04.3, after Force Unmount message Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005) Component: Console, don't click on Force Unmount, exit dialog with cancel.
Then, in guest OS, simply open mounted GuestAdditions drive/dvd in Nautilus (file manager/explorer) and click on "Open Autorun Prompt" (enter your root password).

Ubuntu will uninstall previous version of Guest Additions and install the fresh one. Hello full screen!
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (121.74 KiB) Viewed 49552 times