VM doesn't start on Mountain Lion

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
snowyau

Re: VM doesn't start on Mountain Lion

Post by snowyau »

michaln wrote:... couldn't afford the $50 for a VirtualBox license (or didn't think it was worth as much). Which naturally doesn't stop them from wanting this fixed yesterday. That is obviously not a very encouraging attitude from our perspective.
Champs! actually I wasn't aware I could buy a licence for VB... I'm off to get one now...
d2kagw

Post by d2kagw »

Same, I wasn't aware there was a paid version.
Totally buying a license right away.
mag

Post by mag »

Tested the 4.2.1 test build and it's working now again.
Quick question - did you manage to get it to work just without VT-x or is it still really VT-x enabled now (e.g. did Apple just change the way the VT-x is accessed or did they disable it in 10.8.2 @ Ivy Bridge)?
As for support ticket, we're actually Oracle partners but it's for the Database products and I didn't check whether I can create a support request for another products as it wasn't that critical for me and I'll be also away next week.
But if you wish I can try to open a support request.
Last edited by mag on 21. Sep 2012, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
snowyau

Post by snowyau »

I just tested 4.1.23 with EFI update + 10.8.2 on a mid 2012-MBA 11" and can confirm it's working. thanks!
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

mag wrote:Tested the 4.2.1 test build and it's working now again.
Good to hear, thanks!
Quick question - did you manage to get it to work just without VT-x or is it still really VT-x enabled now (e.g. did Apple just change the way the VT-x is accessed or did they disable it in 10.8.2 @ Ivy Bridge)?
VT-x is still working. The error message about VT-x being disabled was a bit misleading; enabling VT-x indeed failed, but not because it had been previously enabled by someone else.
But if you wish I can try to open a support request.
Not necessary now - wait until something breaks again :)
Shigeo

Post by Shigeo »

I just tested 4.1.23 with my fully updated MacBook Air and the problem seems to be resolved. Thanks for the quick turn-around!! :)
Andrew Brehm

Post by Andrew Brehm »

d2kagw wrote:Same, I wasn't aware there was a paid version.
Totally buying a license right away.
How does one buy a VirtualBox licence? I cannot find a link on the Web site.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I am somewhat confused. I had no problem with VB 4.2.0 and OSX 10.8.2 and now there is a 4.2.1. is there an extension pack change?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

michaln wrote:Were so cash-strapped that they couldn't afford the $50 for a VirtualBox license (or didn't think it was worth as much).
$50. Sign me up. Seriously, can you provide a link to where I would do this. The FAQ generally tries to dissuade you from this:
"If you are an individual end user, there is generally no need to purchase a commercial license, provided that you respect, in the case of VirtualBox OSE, the terms and conditions of the GPL, or, in the case of the full VirtualBox package, those of the Personal Use and Evaluation License."
But I'm willing to chip in. VirtualBox is worth it to me.
agnoeo

Post by agnoeo »

That was a quick fix. Thanks!
mag

Post by mag »

loukingjr wrote:I am somewhat confused. I had no problem with VB 4.2.0 and OSX 10.8.2 and now there is a 4.2.1. is there an extension pack change?
If it works for you don't mess up with this fix, it's just for Ivy Bridge powered machines where the VIrtualBox didn't work at OS X 10.8.2.
rpmurray wrote:
michaln wrote:Were so cash-strapped that they couldn't afford the $50 for a VirtualBox license (or didn't think it was worth as much).
$50. Sign me up. Seriously, can you provide a link to where I would do this. The FAQ generally tries to dissuade you from this:
"If you are an individual end user, there is generally no need to purchase a commercial license, provided that you respect, in the case of VirtualBox OSE, the terms and conditions of the GPL, or, in the case of the full VirtualBox package, those of the Personal Use and Evaluation License."
But I'm willing to chip in. VirtualBox is worth it to me.
Yes, though those who use it commercially should purchase a license: http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/v ... index.html
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

mag wrote:
loukingjr wrote:I am somewhat confused. I had no problem with VB 4.2.0 and OSX 10.8.2 and now there is a 4.2.1. is there an extension pack change?
If it works for you don't mess up with this fix, it's just for Ivy Bridge powered machines where the VIrtualBox didn't work at OS X 10.8.2.
oh great. now you tell me lol. I had already downloaded and installed 4.2.1 and as it turns out it won't work now and there doesn't seem to be a 4.2.0 anywhere to download. now what?

edit: nevermind. I restored 4.2.0 from my backup.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

loukingjr wrote:I had already downloaded and installed 4.2.1 and as it turns out it won't work now
Any specifics?
mag

Post by mag »

loukingjr: aah I see, they've replaced the "official" download link at their website.. anyway 4.2.0 is still available at:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 37-OSX.dmg
By the way - you say that 4.2.1 build doesn't work at your non-Ivy Bridge machine at all?
That's perhaps something the VB devs should look at...
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

mag wrote:loukingjr: aah I see, they've replaced the "official" download link at their website.. anyway 4.2.0 is still available at:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 37-OSX.dmg
By the way - you say that 4.2.1 build doesn't work at your non-Ivy Bridge machine at all?
That's perhaps something the VB devs should look at...
I see. might be nice if they had it posted somewhere on the main downloads page. anyway, no, VM's won't launch on my machine using 4.2.1 which has the sandy bridge processor.