VB 4.1.6 on Solaris 11 11/11 - USB Devices

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: VB 4.1.6 on Solaris 11 11/11 - USB Devices

Post by Ramshankar »

justus wrote:Topic: vboxuser numeric group ID changed, VirtualBox does not want to forget the old one.

I am running two boot environments (Solaris 11 and openindiana) as server, Linux NFS clients and VirtualBox with 3 different guests in both server BEs. Over all this, I maintain identical user IDs and identical numeric IDs for e.g. the group "users", to avoid complications.

In this spirit, I also changed the numeric value for vboxuser in one of the BEs from 100 to 1001, to have the same numeric ID in both BEs. As expected, thereafter USB was not available from any guest of that BE.
I then uninstalled VirtualBox, uninstalled the extension pack, reinstalled both in that BE, and reinstalled the guest additions in the test guest. But USB stayed unavailable in the guests until setting back vboxuser to 100 in that BE.
What should I remove/modify, that VirtualBox will forget about the numeric vboxuser ID?
Check what ownership permissions of /dev/vboxusbmon (ls -ln /dev/vboxusbmon). Also if you fiddle around with groups you might need to re-login for some changes to take effect.
Oracle Corp.
Guyver
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Guyver »

Any word on the debug driver/code to try and get usb devices working inside the guest OS??
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Upgrading to VB 4.2.0 with the Solaris 11 September patches (pkg update just found them today, they weren't there yesterday) did not appear to help.

Still same issue with USB devices.
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

I've since replaced my Windows XP VM with a Windows 7 VM - same issue with usb devices.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

I'm afraid I have had zero time to look into this more, and I probably won't have any time in the next few weeks either. I could at best give you another custom compiled vboxusb drivers for 4.2 latest with instructions on how to load them and see if it works any better. Any deeper investigation will have to wait as I'm focussing on more core and higher priority things.
Oracle Corp.