Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ChurdCFG

Re: Windows 8?

Post by ChurdCFG »

misha wrote: As for your 3D-on issue - please try the latest VBox 4.2 RC3, which contains a number of 3D-related fixes. If the problem still persists with it, please attach a VM log here so that we could figure out what the problem is.
Thanks for the info on the driver - unfortunately, the error I'm talking about after installing the Additions happens in the direct bootcamp instance, not in Virtualbox (it completely freezes on direct boot). Not really Virtualbox's problem, so I'll most likely just suffer without the Additions when I use VB.
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

Maybe everyone knows about this, but you can get a free evaluation download of Windows 8 RTM here.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-ne ... nyone.html

The evaluation is good for 90 days, and can't be upgraded.

Good luck, Jim
tpskinner

Post by tpskinner »

Urs wrote:Last year I have successfully installed and tried the Developer Preview in Virtualbox.

This week I wanted to install the RTM but all I’ve got is this message just after launching the machine for installation:
Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code: 0x0000005D
Parameters:
0x03060F0B
0x756E6547
0x49656E69
0x6C65746E

Cheers, Urs
I get this error as well. Using win 7/32 host. I also tried running setup from a win 7 guest OS. Installs fine until the reboot when the same error pops up. Just out of curiosity I downloaded and tried to boot the Release Preview bits and the same error appeared with this version as well.

I hope someone can figure what the problem is. VB is so awesome as a tool for developers who need to test with clean OS's periodically.

Thanks in advance to the team.

Tom
rkb

Post by rkb »

I had Windows 8 installed and running just fine then I installed the "Guest additions" now it locks up just after the spinning circle of dots indicating the start of boot. Any ideas on how I can either remove the guest additions or go back to the "last known good state" (checkpoint)?

Thank you.
misha

Post by misha »

rkb wrote:I had Windows 8 installed and running just fine then I installed the "Guest additions" now it locks up just after the spinning circle of dots indicating the start of boot. Any ideas on how I can either remove the guest additions or go back to the "last known good state" (checkpoint)?
Try disabling the 3D acceleration in VM settings (on a "Display" page of VM settings GUI) - this should allow you to boot & login successfully.
What version of VBox + Guest Additions are you running? Win 8 support was significantly improved with VBox 4.2, try using the latest VBox 4.2 Release Candidate 4 with additions shipped with it, see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51405 .
rkb

Post by rkb »

misha wrote:
rkb wrote:I had Windows 8 installed and running just fine then I installed the "Guest additions" now it locks up just after the spinning circle of dots indicating the start of boot. Any ideas on how I can either remove the guest additions or go back to the "last known good state" (checkpoint)?
Try disabling the 3D acceleration in VM settings (on a "Display" page of VM settings GUI) - this should allow you to boot & login successfully.
What version of VBox + Guest Additions are you running? Win 8 support was significantly improved with VBox 4.2, try using the latest VBox 4.2 Release Candidate 4 with additions shipped with it, see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51405 .
Thank you I did this. I am running 4.1.22 r80657 I am asumming that the guest additions are the same version since I clicked the menu option in the VM Manager. I am not aware of how to get 4.2,
misha

Post by misha »

rkb wrote:..I am running 4.1.22 r80657 I am asumming that the guest additions are the same version since I clicked the menu option in the VM Manager.
Like I said 4.2 should be much more stable wrt Win8 support, so you'd better use Win8 with the current VBox 4.2 RC4.
rkb wrote:..I am not aware of how to get 4.2,
The binaries are available here http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.0_RC4/
hawkeye62

Post by hawkeye62 »

A success story to share. I haven't had significant issues since build 4.1.51. I am now running VirtualBox and Guest Additions RC4. One issue is that Guest Addition installation is touchy. I can't get it to install from the menu. But everything goes well from the virtual CD.

My host is: Windows 7 pro 64-bit, i7 930 CPU 2.80 GHz, 6 GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1 GB, 500 GB HD, Samsung SyncMaster 226 GW.

Guest is Windows 8 64-bit RTM, 2048 MB ram, PIIX3 chipset, 3 processors, 25 GB HD, 256 MB video memory, 3D and 2D acceleration enabled, network adapter Bridged.

As far as I can tell everything works as it should, including resolution adjustment and playing .swf games. No crashes, no boot issues, no freeze ups, etc. I am getting to like Windows 8 more and more. In fact, it works so well in VirtualBox, I may not install Windows 8 on my PC and just continue to use it as a virtual PC.

Thanks to misha and the developers of VirtualBox.

Good luck, Jim
rkb

Post by rkb »

When I enable 3D acceleration it still hangs for me.
misha

Post by misha »

rkb wrote:When I enable 3D acceleration it still hangs for me.
Please attach a VM log for you VM session with 3D enabled.
rkb

Post by rkb »

I have attached the log (I had to power off the machine to get control back).
Attachments
VM.zip
(26.88 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
misha

Post by misha »

rkb wrote:I have attached the log (I had to power off the machine to get control back).
According to the log:

Code: Select all

00:00:00.615894 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   Microsoft Corporation
00:00:00.615920 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: GDI Generic
00:00:00.615928 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION:  1.1.0
00:00:00.615935 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
you either don't have proper opengl drivers installed on your host, or you're connected to your host over RDP (i.e. NOT directly to your physical console), which prevents HW-based opengl from being used.
rkb

Post by rkb »

So now what? I don't recall installing OpenGL drivers and I didn't set up an special connection mechanism. Just the defaults.
misha

Post by misha »

rkb wrote:So now what? I don't recall installing OpenGL drivers and I didn't set up an special connection mechanism. Just the defaults.
Try installing/updating driver software for you video card, opengl drivers should be part of a driver package.
JoeB77

Post by JoeB77 »

Has anyone tried installing guest additions with the new 4.2 release? I had the same black screen issue discussed earlier in this thread when I tried to install guest additions in 4.1.22 (or 4.1.21, I forget). I'm somewhat new to virtualbox and I'm very afraid to try installing guest additions again because it made me have to totally wipe out and reinstall windows last time I tried.

Host: Mac OSX Snow Leopard
Guest: Windows 8 MSDN release from last week

Thank you experts,
Joe