Ubuntu 8 Server

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ckasprzak

Ubuntu 8 Server

Post by ckasprzak »

I've had no issues with installing Ubuntu desktop and getting that guest running perfect.

But for the server the install works just fine, but when I try booting into the OS after install I get this error message from the kernel.
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
0:6
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ckasprzak

Post by ckasprzak »

NM, found the answer on Ubuntu forums here.
CyrusTR

Post by CyrusTR »

and instead of clicking the link .. here is a quote from the ubuntuforums:
HOWTO: Run Ubuntu Server under VirtualBox (without changing the kernel)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As many people know, the standard Ubuntu Server install will not boot in a VirtualBox VM. This is/was because VirtualBox lacked PAE support. I have just tried out the new (as of this post at least) version of VirtualBox and it now has PAE support available. The version is 1.6.0 and can be found here (no repo for it yet):
https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-F@CDS-CDS_SMI

The only thing you need to know (aside from how to use VirtualBox in the normal way) is that when making the virtual machine you should look for PAE support. You can find it in settings, in the "General" section and then in the "Advanced" tab. Click the checkbox for "Enable PAE/NX" and you're good to go. Booting without that option will give crazy errors in previous VirtualBox versions and in 1.6.0 it will at least give a friendly message explaining that the feature is not there.

So the point here is to make sure that box is checked before expecting your Ubuntu Server VM to boot.

Hope this helps someone.