Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: GURU_MEDITATION when trying to start a Windows 7 Sp1 VM

Post by michaln »

Andre.Ziegler wrote:can this cause such issues?
It sounds quite likely. We'll have to look into it.

Now I wonder if that's also what those Google apps are doing...
Andre.Ziegler
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

They are user mode apps and you allocate kernel memory and lock it. They should not have any impact.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Andre.Ziegler wrote:They are user mode apps and you allocate kernel memory and lock it. They should not have any impact.
If that were true, they really wouldn't have any impact. That's known not to be the case :)

Note that as far as we know, it's not Google Chrome etc. that's causes trouble, but Google's crash reporter. Somehow I have the feeling that they may have considered it important to get kernel stack traces and enabled that registry setting... just a wild guess at this point.
Andre.Ziegler
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

ok, it seems to work now and in my case the cause was a tool called Prio (http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html). This is a tool which saves the priorities and CPU affinities for selected programs. This is done by injecting a DLL into each program. And this injecting seems to cause the memory allocations failures.

And mybe the Google crash reporter also injects a DLL to maybe create custom dumps and so also causes this. I'll watch this the next days and hope that this was the fix.

wacher
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Insider

Post by wacher »

The error log said:
Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM

But the VM is not paused, just crashed. I don't have special processes neither any google stuff. I started too much VM and other application, I see. I ran out of memory actually, okay, but please, stay in paused mode (as the message promise it), I don't like this guru :(

See the ticket 1021, https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10121
Andre.Ziegler

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

For it works now fine. Prio was really the cause