Parallel port printing problem

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
ulogic
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 32/64 bit,Windows XP 32 bit

Parallel port printing problem

Post by ulogic »

According to the release announcement for VirtualBox 4.2, one of the new features is support for parallel port passthrough on Windows hosts. I was excited by this announcement as I have been using Virtual PC 2007 for a printer that does not have Windows 7 drivers.

The host is running on Windows 7 64 bit with 8GB of RAM. The motherboard has an on-board parallel port at address 378. The guest machine is running Windows XP 32 bit. I could not get the printer to work in VirtualBox as it kept reporting paper empty status. I tried setting the host BIOS port settings at standard parallel port, bi-directional, and ECP+EPP modes. I also tried various on/off combinations of interrupt configurations in the host and guest but that did not change the symptoms.

The printer is a Xerox XD100 (which is essentially the same as a Sharp AL1000). The driver is very fussy and will only work with onboard parallel adapters. It will not work with USB parallel converters or PCI add-in cards because they don't provide the standard I/O addresses of 378/278/3BC, even in a non-virtualized environment. However, as I mentioned before, it does work under Virtual PC 2007 SP1.

The VirtualBox Manager does not have a section for managing parallel ports the way it does for serial ports. I manually edited the configuration file.
<LPT>
  <Port slot="0" enabled="true" IOBase="0x378" IRQ="7"/>
  <Port slot="1" enabled="false" IOBase="0x278" IRQ="4"/>
</LPT>
With the above configuration changes in version 4.2 RC2 and RC3, the virtual machine fails to start with the following error:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine XP Pro.

Parallel#0 could not open '' (VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND).

Parallel device 0 cannot attach to host driver (VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}

I had to set the port enabled value back to false to allow the VM to start succesfully.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Parallel port printing problem

Post by Perryg »

Try with IRQ5
<Port slot="0" enabled="true" IOBase="0x378" IRQ="5"/>
ulogic

Post by ulogic »

Changing to IRQ 5 did not make any difference. The VM still fails to start with the error

Parallel#0 could not open '' (VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND).
Parallel device 0 cannot attach to host driver (VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND).
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I know it works as I have it working. Although you should not actually edit the *.vbox file to get there. You need to use VBoxManage and set it up that way with several other entries. I don't see that the DEVs have actually addressed this in the manual as of yet, but hopefully they will pickup on this topic and reply. On a Linux host the following works, but I doubt it will on a Windows host since the ports are different.

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata vm_name "VBoxInternal/Devices/parallel/0/Config/IRQ" 5
VBoxManage setextradata vm_name "VBoxInternal/Devices/parallel/0/Config/IOBase" 0x378
VBoxManage setextradata vm_name "VBoxInternal/Devices/parallel/0/LUN#0/Driver" HostParallel
VBoxManage setextradata vm_name "VBoxInternal/Devices/parallel/0/LUN#0/Config/DevicePath" /dev/parport0
ulogic

Post by ulogic »

Starting the VM after running those commands gives the following error

Parallel#0 could not open '/dev/parport0' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).
Parallel device 0 cannot attach to host driver (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Under Windows it should be trying to access \\.\LPT1 to be able to use ioctl
ulogic

Post by ulogic »

I stopped all virtual machines and the VBox manager, edited the config file replacing /dev/parport0 with \\.\LPT1 and now the VM will start. However, the test page fails to print. It no longer reports an out of paper condition, just a less than helpful "Error - Printing" status.

Both the host and guest machines show they are using IRQ 7. I changed the setting in the config file from IRQ 5 to IRQ 7, but there was no change in the symptoms.
anshul makkar

Post by anshul makkar »

Please don't modify the xml file directly, but instead use the following APIs for parallel port configuration.

vboxmanage modifyvm <vmname> --lptmode[1-n] LPT[1-n]
vBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --lpt1[1-n] <Port address> <IRQ No.>

for eg.
Enabled parallel port with configuration
vboxmanage modifyvm Fedora_VM --lptmode1 LPT1
vBoxManage modifyvm Fedora_VM --lpt1 888 5 .

We will try to update the user manual soon.

Let us know if still facing issues.
ulogic

Post by ulogic »

I ran the following commands:
vboxmanage modifyvm "XP Pro" --lptmode1 LPT1
vBoxManage modifyvm "XP Pro" --lpt1 0x378 7

The net effect of that was it changed the configuration from
<Port slot="0" enabled="false" IOBase="0x378" IRQ="4"/>
to
<Port slot="0" enabled="true" IOBase="0x378" IRQ="7" path="LPT1"/>

I still can't print from the VM. After the print job times out, it shows a status of "Error - Printing". I initially had put in the I/O address at 378 decimal which is 0x17A. In that case the print job status showed a status of paper empty.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Have you tried detecting new hardware inside the guest since making these changes? Does the guest device manager show the LPT1 port as present, and using the base address and IRQ you assigned to the simulation?
ulogic

Post by ulogic »

I have found Windows XP to be pretty much plug and play when it comes to onboard LPT devices. However, I did uninstall the printer port in the device manager and rebooted the guest OS. When it came back up, the default is to not use any interrupts. I reconfigured it to use any interrupt assigned to the port.

The resources assigned to the port in the virtual machine are as follows:
I/O Range 0378-037F
I/O Range 0778-077F (this address range should not appear)
IRQ 7

I have another machine running Windows XP on a 9 year old motherboard. I only see the additional addresses when the port is configured in the BIOS to either ECP or ECP+EPP modes. On this motherboard, there are only 4 addresses in the range 0778-077B, but it also shows DMA 3 as another resource.

On my Windows 7 machine, the second address range has 8 addresses from 0778-077F when ECP mode is enabled, and it also shows DMA channel 3 is assigned.

Furthermore, the device manager on both the native machines list the device as an "ECP Printer Port" when ECP mode is enabled, whereas it it shows up as simply a "Printer Port" when it is configured in the BIOS as a standard, bidirectional, or enhanced printer port.

On my host machine where I am running VirtualBox, I tried every BIOS mode (SPP/bidirectional/EPP/ECP/ECP+EPP) but could not get the guest machine to print anything.

On my old native XP machine, the printer works in every BIOS configurable mode, with or without the interrupt enabled. In VirtualPC 2007, the guest machine can only print successfully when ECP mode is not enabled in the host BIOS.

I could not find any VBoxManage commands to configure the operating mode for the printer port. It seems to me that the second address range should only be present if a DMA channel is also assigned, and that the guest operating system should detect it as an ECP port.

VBoxManage probably support another command to set the operating mode for the parallel port and present it correctly to the guest machine.
anshul makkar

Post by anshul makkar »

Please can you share the the resource sheet for your parallel port (i.e IO Range, Memory Range and IRQ) and also VBox XML file.
ulogic

Post by ulogic »

It is curious that even in versions, even going back as far as 3.1, of VirtualBox that don't support parallel ports, the Windows guest still show resources assigned to LPT1. Also in 4.2 beta3, disabling the printer port does not make it disappear from the device manager.

I tried it in a second virtual machine (after disabling it in the first virtual machine) with the same settings. In the first machine, the document fails to print and the printer status shows "Error - printing". In the second machine, the document disappears from queue but nothing ever prints.
Attachments
VictimXP.xml
In this machine, printing fails with "Error-printing".
(12.6 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
lpt1_resources.png
lpt1_resources.png (27.81 KiB) Viewed 26401 times
anshul makkar

Post by anshul makkar »

Please use the binaries uploaded at "http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... l_port.zip" and share the log file.
anshul makkar

Post by anshul makkar »

Also try with Interrupt disabled i.e LPT port settings, select option "Never use an interrupt" .
ulogic

Post by ulogic »

With the new device driver DLLs, the virtual machine fails to start with

Cannot load R0 module C:\Apps\VirtualBox/VBoxDDR0.r0: supLoadModule returned VERR_LDR_IMAGE_HASH (VERR_LDR_IMAGE_HASH).

Failed to register ourselves as a PCI Bus (VERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}

I thought I had uploaded the log before, but I must have left out a step, but it is here now.
Attachments
VictimXP-2012-09-06-10-36-06.log
(99.03 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Last edited by ulogic on 7. Sep 2012, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.