Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

[FIXED] Bridged adapters missing

Post by mpack »

I see the previous thread about "Host Only" networking, so note that this is about Bridged networking. XP Pro 32bit host.

None of my VMs which use bridged networking will start any more, they all claim that the selected host NIC doesn't exist, though in fact it does: the VM was working fine until I installed v4.2.0b1 (I was previously running v4.1.18).

A couple of pics to illustrate. The first pic shows that my "XP Trac Host" VM had a host NIC selected prior to opening the settings dialog.
Image1.png
Image1.png (98.88 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
If I open the settings dialog I get a red warning message saying that no bridged adapter is selected. If I go to the network section then I get what appears in the second picture.
Image2.png
Image2.png (34.34 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
I tried uninstalling completely and then reinstalling, with a reboot after the reinstall. No dice.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Bridged adapters missing

Post by mpack »

VM groups works great btw, though the method of creating groups could be more obvious - e.g. I expected to see "create group" if I right clicked various widgets in that area, and/or in the "File" menu - and of course the user manual is AFAIK silent on the subject.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot... did not fix the problem.
misha

Post by misha »

We've reproduced and are aware of this problem. Both host-only and bridged networking drivers do not get installed properly as well as a host reboot is requested due to VBox installer issues.
See also viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50775 .
This issue should be fixed soon hopefully (all our developers are currently busy with some other urgent stuff), and we'll let you know as soon as it is fixed.
The issue araises only when installing on top of some previous VBox version, so, like you say, a workaround is to uninstall VBox and then install it again.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

misha wrote:The issue araises only when installing on top of some previous VBox version, so, like you say, a workaround is to uninstall VBox and then install it again.
Actually, as mentioned above, I tried that and it did not fix the problem with bridged networking.

However, I'll wait for the fix and see what happens.
FredM

Post by FredM »

+1 waiting for fix

Same issue, same condition, I did the method : uninstall ... without success,

Thanks,
FredM

Post by FredM »

resolved with the installer 4.2 RC1

desinstall 4.2 beta
reboot
install 4.2 rc1
it works !
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Same here - works just fine now.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Thanks for the confirmation. This is expected, as we fixed a bug in the package installation.