Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.

Re: Windows 8?

Postby hawkeye62 » 23. Jul 2012, 21:32

The new build allows me to drag the window size to what ever I want. Thanks for the effort.

BUT, I no longer have the ability to use a bridged network adapter. When I select bridged, an error message says the adapter can't be found. If I select NAT, I can connect to the internet, but not to my local network. Prior to this latest build, I could select bridged and my actual hardware adapter would show up in the window. I could browse my local network, write and read to shared folders, etc.

Thanks for any help, Jim
hawkeye62
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 4. Mar 2012, 00:07

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 23. Jul 2012, 22:11

hawkeye62 wrote:I no longer have the ability to use a bridged network adapter...

What's your host OS?
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 23. Jul 2012, 22:41

mercedh2k wrote:I would like to test the new build on a mac, could you please post the OSX build too?

Sure, here is a trunk test build for OSX host:

!!!NOTE that this is a trunk build, which may not be stable since trunk is under a heavy development now, so use it for testing purposes only!!!

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... 09-OSX.dmg
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby hawkeye62 » 23. Jul 2012, 23:00

misha wrote:
hawkeye62 wrote:I no longer have the ability to use a bridged network adapter...

What's your host OS?


Thanks for your reply. Here are my specs.

I have VirtualBox installed on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS. PC is Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz, 6 GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 with 1 GB memory, Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Thanks, Jim
hawkeye62
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 4. Mar 2012, 00:07

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Joey177 » 24. Jul 2012, 01:41

misha wrote:Sure, here is a trunk test build for OSX host:

!!!NOTE that this is a trunk build, which may not be stable since trunk is under a heavy development now, so use it for testing purposes only!!!

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... 09-OSX.dmg


Thanks misha. I got it up and running on my rMBP, uninstalled then installed Guest Additions, and it appears to be working okay. Except I did get a kernel panic again using Internet Explorer. I attempted to view a YouTube video and that caused the panic.

Kernel_2012-07-23-173102_Jordans-MacBook-Pro.txt
(6.82 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Joey177
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 3. Jul 2012, 00:39

Re: Windows 8?

Postby dennisk » 24. Jul 2012, 13:47

Using 4.1.51-79383-Linux_amd64 the window previews which show up if you hover on the task list entry of an application are black for Internet Explorer. Is that already known?

My system:
Debian Sid 64-bit
Intel HD3000 graphics (driver 2.19)
XServer 1.12.3
VBox with 2d- and 3d-accelaration

Do you need further information?

 Edit: now it works, seems to be sporadic... 
dennisk
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 23. Jul 2012, 15:50

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Daniel.Pardo » 25. Jul 2012, 23:08

Y install the Guest additions in this new build, but i git the black flashing screen, there is a fix for this?
Daniel.Pardo
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 20. Jul 2012, 05:08

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 26. Jul 2012, 07:44

Daniel.Pardo wrote:Y install the Guest additions in this new build, but i git the black flashing screen, there is a fix for this?

Please attach a VM log file here.
Also try disabling 3D acceleration in VM settings (on "Display" page of VM settings GUI) and see if it solves your problem.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 26. Jul 2012, 07:53

Daniel.Pardo wrote:Y install the Guest additions in this new build, but i git the black flashing screen, there is a fix for this?

BTW, did you see the black screen issue with older Additions/Host installation?
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 26. Jul 2012, 10:32

hawkeye62 wrote:
misha wrote:
hawkeye62 wrote:I no longer have the ability to use a bridged network adapter...

What's your host OS?


Thanks for your reply. Here are my specs.

I have VirtualBox installed on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS. PC is Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz, 6 GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 with 1 GB memory, Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Thanks, Jim

Could you uninstall VBox and re-run VBox installation with MSI and setupapi logging enabled as specified here, and then archive and attach the logs here?
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby misha » 26. Jul 2012, 10:36

Joey177 wrote:
misha wrote:Sure, here is a trunk test build for OSX host:

!!!NOTE that this is a trunk build, which may not be stable since trunk is under a heavy development now, so use it for testing purposes only!!!

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... 09-OSX.dmg


Thanks misha. I got it up and running on my rMBP, uninstalled then installed Guest Additions, and it appears to be working okay. Except I did get a kernel panic again using Internet Explorer. I attempted to view a YouTube video and that caused the panic.

Kernel_2012-07-23-173102_Jordans-MacBook-Pro.txt

Please provide additional info as requested in https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... 80#p230072 .
Without it we won't be able to help.
misha
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 19. Dec 2008, 11:10

Re: Windows 8?

Postby hawkeye62 » 26. Jul 2012, 17:55

[/quote]Could you uninstall VBox and re-run VBox installation with MSI and setupapi logging enabled as specified here, and then archive and attach the logs here?[/quote]

A few questions. Automatic Activation of Installer Log shows parameter "-l",ell, in one place and "-1",one, in another. Which is correct?

There is no "Installer" section in regedit HKEY_ etc. etc.

Driver Installation Log in C:\Windows\inf has files: setupapi .app.log, .dev.log, ,ev1, .ev2, .ev3, .offline.log BUT no .log

Please clarify the procedure.

Last, if I uninstall VirtualBox will my VMs have to be recreated?

Thanbks, Jim
hawkeye62
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 4. Mar 2012, 00:07

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Andre.Ziegler » 27. Jul 2012, 09:07

I have an issue which is not Win8 related. I've installed a Win7 VM in the latest trunk build and when I get an UAC prompt the Win 7 bootlogo is shown for a short time in the secure desktop. Aero Glass is enabled in the VM settings (256MB RAM).
Andre.Ziegler
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 17. Jul 2007, 13:45
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Joey177 » 29. Jul 2012, 22:45

Sorry, I have installed Mountain Lion and no longer have the log files for the previous kernel panic. I will try to find any more problems and report them here.
Last edited by Joey177 on 29. Jul 2012, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Joey177
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 3. Jul 2012, 00:39

Re: Windows 8?

Postby Andre.Ziegler » 29. Jul 2012, 22:48

I have an issue with the trunk build and Windows 8 . Copy/paste text between host (Win7) and guest (Win8) doesn't work. Copy/paste works for Ubuntu 12.04 (guest).
Andre.Ziegler
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 17. Jul 2007, 13:45
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Guests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests