How to Enable Wifi in VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Principal

How to Enable Wifi in VirtualBox

Post by Principal »

Hello !
Can anybody explain me how to Enable Wifi in VirtualBox. I'm on a Windows host and I Run Linux Mint & Baktrack in VirtualBox.
I'm using a Belkin Wifi Dongle. But I still don't have Wifi in VirtualBox. :(
Tnx.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: How to Enable Wifi in VirtualBox

Post by Perryg »

If you mean you want to have wifi in the guest then you must have a USB wifi adapter.
Principal

Post by Principal »

I'm using Windows Seven on my new laptop which is conneted to internet with his integrated wifi card. I'm running Linux on my Virtualbox. I Need to connect this linux to another wirless network. I've read that for having wifi in virtualbox you must buy a wifi dongle. So I bought a Belkin usb dongle yesterday. But when i connect it on my virtualbox i still don't have wifi. Why ???
:(
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You must have the Extension Pack installed How to install Extension Pack
Then you must make sure that the device is picked up by the guest. Using the USB device you will not be using the VirtualBox network adapter at all so disable it in the guest settings.

Post the guests log file (as an attachment)
As well as from the hosts terminal/command window type VBoxManage showvminfo <VM Name> --details and post here. Replace <VM Name> with the actual name of the VM. Use " " if the name has a space in it.

Note if the host is Windows you need to be in the directory that has VBoxManage.exe for the command to work.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Before we go wandering down the yellow brick road, why exactly do you want WiFi in the guest? If it's just to access the internet then it's your host which needs WiFi, not your guest. Your guest then just talks through the host - select NAT networking in the guest network settings.
chronosXIII

Post by chronosXIII »

Hello,
Sorry for reviving this thread but I have a very similar problem:

I have both Wi-Fi and LAN adapters on my laptop, except that the LAN connects to a secure connection and the WI-FI connects to an public hotspot.
Is it possible to force the guest on the Wi-Fi and use therefore my credentials on the public hotspot to browse the web so that I don't have to use my 'secure' Lan connection for say browse YouTube etc.
I have tried to select the Wi-Fi as a network adapter under 'Bridged Adapters' but I think that's wrong because that's not working. Or is it?
Any help greatly appreciated
Regards
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

With NAT and the WiFi adapter selected in settings, internet surfing should work.
Of course the WiFi adapter at the host must have internet access enabled.
chronosXIII

Post by chronosXIII »

jorgensen wrote:With NAT and the WiFi adapter selected in settings, internet surfing should work.
Of course the WiFi adapter at the host must have internet access enabled.
When I select NAT the below box is greyed OUT. :roll:
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If the "below box" refers to host network adapter for bridged mode - then that dialog field is only needed if you enable bridged mode.

In no case will a hosts built in network adapter appear as wireless inside the VM. VMs run on simulated hardware: the actual hardware of your host is not relevant.
chronosXIII

Post by chronosXIII »

Yes sir,
I understand that, so what would the answer be? how do I get to use WiFi instead of LAN? (both connected to internet)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Selecting NAT probably will not work for what you want since you have eth and wlan on the host. NAT will select eth by default and there is no easy way to change it. Use Bridged and make sure that the adapter is set to use wlan.
JasonMelbourne

Post by JasonMelbourne »

my apologies for resurrecting!

If you are using a laptop that has both EthLan and WLan and are using wifi connection or Lan connection, I would advise you to configure your vm with 2 Adapters in the Network section.
1. check from your device manager which one is your wlan and which one is your eth lan device name.
2. configuring adapter 1 with the wlan device setting, select attached to Bridged Adapter, name: select your wlan adapter name (that you found from your device manager)
3. advanced settings under it... leave adapter type as the default one shown, promiscuous deny, and more importantly, make sure the checkbox is checked for Cable connected (yes even if you selected the wlan)
4. configure your eth lan in the adapter 2 if you want.

Eureka!
sidungu-at-w4t3rw4lls

Post by sidungu-at-w4t3rw4lls »

JasonMelbourne wrote:my apologies for resurrecting!

If you are using a laptop that has both EthLan and WLan and are using wifi connection or Lan connection, I would advise you to configure your vm with 2 Adapters in the Network section.
1. check from your device manager which one is your wlan and which one is your eth lan device name.
2. configuring adapter 1 with the wlan device setting, select attached to Bridged Adapter, name: select your wlan adapter name (that you found from your device manager)
3. advanced settings under it... leave adapter type as the default one shown, promiscuous deny, and more importantly, make sure the checkbox is checked for Cable connected (yes even if you selected the wlan)
4. configure your eth lan in the adapter 2 if you want.

Eureka!
Hi JasonMelbourne,
In my laptop I use Win 7 as the host for virtualbox, and my vm is Kali 3.1.4, I want to enable wifi in vm Kali linux, I did the 4 steps above, but when I check ifconfig on the vm Kali the result shows :
eth0 ......
eth1 ......
lo .....
There was no wlan0.
What should I do then to make my laptop wifi adapter works on the vm Kali? Thanks.
heriipurnama
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: debian

Post by heriipurnama »

My wifi driver 's computer hosts can not appear in virtualbox
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Read the thread from the beginning. All the answers are already here.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.