Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Windows 8?

Post by Perryg »

Joey177 & primus.
Read up a few posts and see that misha has asked it anyone needs a different test build. Currently only the test builds will work. If you would like to test Windows 8 you need to ask for a Mac build.
primus
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 8 x64

Post by primus »

Hey,

I'm actually using trunk build I got earlier, but if misha drops new build for OSX sure I'll try it.

--p
--p
misha

Post by misha »

primus wrote:I'm actually using trunk build I got earlier, but if misha drops new build for OSX sure I'll try it.
Here is a test build for OSX host. Make sure you update both host installation and additions.

!!!NOTE that this is a trunk build, which may not be stable since trunk is under a heavy development now, so use it for testing purposes only!!!

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... 65-OSX.dmg
primus
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 8 x64

Post by primus »

Hi,

Looks like I'm still able to crash VBox with opening programs in W8 metro ui. Just need to browse with IE, open Store and browse there and boom.

Log file attached.

--p
Attachments
VBox_4.1.51.r78865.log.zip
(15.04 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
--p
misha

Post by misha »

primus wrote:Looks like I'm still able to crash VBox with opening programs in W8 metro ui. Just need to browse with IE, open Store and browse there and boom.
I bet this is Intel GPU - specific stuff..
Assuming you encounter VBox host process crash, could you create a core dump for your crash, and attach it here?
Also you've mentioned earlier you were getting guest BSOD when running with 3D disabled. Could you also try whether this issue is still valid for the latest test build you're using?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

OK trunk build repaired today and I compiled it this am.

Started the guest and saw a minor glitch of the entry screen not drawing properly which I figure was due to the previous test GAs. Logged in and all seemed to be working properly so I selected to install the new GAs. This was proceeding along and Windows got ticket off and decided that I had a major problem and rebooted into repair mode. Still waiting to see if it will proceed but it has been over 30 minutes now and doubt it will succeed.

I did not uninstall the previous GAs before I selected to install the new ones which I wonder if this would have created the issue. I also left the guest in SMP mode with two processors. Any ideas?

Host = Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64
guest memory = 1.9GB
Guest vRAM = 128MB
misha

Post by misha »

Perryg wrote:..This was proceeding along and Windows got ticket off and decided that I had a major problem and rebooted into repair mode. Still waiting to see if it will proceed but it has been over 30 minutes now and doubt it will succeed.
Did you try to boot in a "normal" mode?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Its still trying to restore using system restore. Normal mode? Just started the guest and selected the iso and clicked install. Nothing fancy. It is logged into Win-Live (or was)
It just came back with a could not complete. I'll see if there is any way to fix this first so I can find the reason.
misha

Post by misha »

Ok, meanwhile I'll try to reproduce the GA update problem here..
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I managed to save the install by manually running system restore with (1) processor. uninstalled the guest additions and then install the new additions. System failed as before.
I am trying to find the fail info from win now..
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

OK I finally got the guest to take the new GAs and found 3 mini-dump files I can send you if you like. It seems that the install over the previous GAs is what started this but no proof AFAIK. Also I notice that the auto-resize is greyed out which I have never seen before (resize does work). Is this normal now for Win-8?
misha

Post by misha »

Perryg wrote:OK I finally got the guest to take the new GAs..
What did you do to achieve that?
Perryg wrote:..and found 3 mini-dump files I can send you if you like.
Yes, minidumps would be very useful! Please archive attach them and VM log files here.
Perryg wrote:..Also I notice that the auto-resize is greyed out which I have never seen before (resize does work). Is this normal now for Win-8?
Do you have 3D disabled in VM settings? Most likely VBox WDDM driver is not loaded, which is causing this. Could you open device manager and check whether the graphics device's driver is functioning properly and is using VBox WDDM driver?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I had to install the previous test GAs to get it to work at all. Trying to upgrade to the new ones show the errors. Tried simple upgrade, then remove and reboot and try to install the new ones.

Yes the wddm drivers work properly on the previuos test build. and yes 3D is/always has been enabled.

mini-dump.zip
(73.02 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
install_ui.log
(4 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Win-8-rel-2012-07-03-09-43-10.log
(80.36 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
misha

Post by misha »

Hmm, interesting.. all of your dumps contain exactly the same issue, while two of them are against VBox GA drivers from the earlier trunk test build, and the last one is against the recent build.
Will investigate that, thanks for the report!
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I have been able to restore from backup. I tried and tried to figure it out but it is just not happy with my build. I see there were a few more changesets later this day and am compiling against them now. but the whole driver error and something about the file being changed that is making Windows mad is beyond reprehensible and has almost always results in a re-install for me to make it happy. As scotty says the more MS tries to improve the darned thing the easier it is to muckup the plumbing. (well slight change in wording) ;-)