Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
misha

Re: Windows 8?

Post by misha »

For those having trouble with Windows 8 Release Preview guests:
You might want to try a test build containing lots of fixes, which should make Win8 guest work much better under VirtualBox.

!!!NOTE that this is a trunk build, which may not be stable since trunk is under a heavy development now, so use it for testing purposes only!!!

To test you will need to update both host installation and guest additions.
Here is the link: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... 68-Win.exe
Let me know if you need test build for hosts other that Windows.
RBL3

Post by RBL3 »

misha,

Thanks for posting this test build. I have it installed and have everything working except if you run the Simulator inside Visual Studio to debug a Metro app the screen goes blank and there is no way to go back to Windows 8. The Simulator works without guest additions installed but I have other issues where I need to have them installed. The Marketplace test kit does not work with guest additions installed either. Are there any settings I could try to adjust to get these to work? I really need the Simulator to properly debug my apps.

Thanks!
misha

Post by misha »

RBL3 wrote:.. if you run the Simulator inside Visual Studio to debug a Metro app the screen goes blank and there is no way to go back to Windows 8.
.. The Marketplace test kit does not work with guest additions installed either.
Thanks a lot for testing and reporting these issues! Let me try to reproduce it locally and see if I can fix it easily..
packzap
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 8, Kubuntu, DOS 2.0

Post by packzap »

Blue screen of death about irq mismatch after installing test build, VirtualBox-4.1.51-78668-Win.exe and then starting up any of my vb's. This is with Windows XP SP3 as host.
misha

Post by misha »

packzap wrote:Blue screen of death about irq mismatch after installing test build, VirtualBox-4.1.51-78668-Win.exe and then starting up any of my vb's. This is with Windows XP SP3 as host.
Please attach a minidump for the crash here.
packzap
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 8, Kubuntu, DOS 2.0

Post by packzap »

I tried to reinstall 4.1.51 but it freezes during install just after copying files while disabling my wireless nic. Unfortunately, I don't have more time to troubleshoot. version 4.1.16 installs and works fine.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

misha,

If you post a GA build for Linux since I can't build Windows GAs in Linux, I will test it against my build from SVN.
misha

Post by misha »

Perryg wrote:If you post a GA build for Linux since I can't build Windows GAs in Linux, I will test it against my build from SVN.
Sure, here it is: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... -78687.iso

Note that trunk additions REQUIRE trunk host VBox installation to work properly.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Running on 4.1.51_OSEr41816 from public trunk. Should work?
boydd_uk

Post by boydd_uk »

Tried to install 4.1.51 - when I start my machine I get:

The device instance structure version has changed.

If you have upgraded virtualbox recently, please make sure you have terminated all vms and upgrade any extension packs. blah blah blah.

Have I missed something - how do I upgrade the extension pack???

That wasn't very much fun?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yup works but video is flakey. Blacks out for a bit and comes back at short entervals (1 to 3 minutes). Corresponds to OpenGL errors in log file.

Log attached.
Win-8-rel-2012-06-20-15-43-23.log
(127.17 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Flakey video stops if I set the processor count to 1. Reminds me of Win7 for a while where with wddm I could not use 2 processors reliably, but at least this does not hang the guest.

Written from IE on the win8 guest.
Tigerman82

Post by Tigerman82 »

I installed the new 4.1.18 VirtualBox and Extension Pack. I had set 1 processor, 2 Gb of memory and 128 Mb of memory with 3D acceleration enabled, as previously. Once again without the Guest Additions installed, Windows 8 RP works perfectly but as soon as I installed GA, I had trouble accessing the right side menu (it does not appear). However, as soon as I set processor count to 2, the menu worked again. So it seems you really need to use 2 processors if you are going to install GA. Of course you can use Win8 without GA as well (specially if you don't do anything heavy) and use only 1 processor.

My iMac has Dual Core i5 with Turbo Boost. In Win8 I opened Youtube (Chrome) and started playing Batman: Arkham Asylum trailer. According to OS X Lion's iSTAT processes, the processor usage was 55%.
21.5" iMac (Mid 2010) - OS X Lion - 3.6 GHz Dual Core i5 w/ Turbo Boost - 8 Gb - Ati Radeon 5670 512 Mb
boydd_uk

Post by boydd_uk »

Misha, how about the link to 4.1.51 extension pack?
misha

Post by misha »

boydd_uk wrote:Misha, how about the link to 4.1.51 extension pack?
Sorry, here it is: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... ox-extpack