Linux Mint Debian no USB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
RKarge
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows

Linux Mint Debian no USB

Post by RKarge »

I recently converted to LMDE from Linux Mint Ubuntu. I have been watching it and down loading new releases for about 6 months. It finally reached a point that seems quite stable.

I loaded VBox 4.1.8 and all necessary other required apps. It ran beautifully. That was 3 days ago, today I needed USB and discovered that there is none available. I have LMDE on 3 systems and they all produce the same result USB functions are all grayed out.

LMDE was using v3.0... kernel so I reverted to 2.6..39 with the same results.

I have been using the original Linux Mint Ubuntu for 2 years and VB as my virtual machine on all 3 systems with no problems at all.

Any thing I can do about this?

Thanks for the help.
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Linux Mint Debian no USB

Post by Perryg »

Normal issues are:
1) you need to install the Extension Pack How to install Extension Pack
2) you need your user name in the vboxusers group (minimum of log off and back in for permissions to take effect)
RKarge

Post by RKarge »

I'm afraid I have to revisit this post. I am very familiar with the generalities of getting VB to install and working.
That is not the problem. The problem is, like going way back, even after testing VB and found it working perfectly still no USB.

The Welcome menu for LMDE shows Linux version as Linux Mint Debian 1.
I have been running Linux Mint (Ubuntu) long enough to remember when no USB was common and all fixes suggested didn't work.
I also have recently upgraded from Linux Mint 11 to LMDE. USB has been working without problems there for at least 3 years.

Again thanks for the help. I hope this will help get us closer to the answer.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You stand a better chance of getting close to an answer if you post a log file (as zipped attachment please).
RKarge

Post by RKarge »

In the interest of getting a clean log I went to the Logs directory.
There I found 4 log files and deleted them all. Then started VirtualBox and voila USB active and
included all USB devices (5).

To say that I was shocked would be and under-statement. I hope this helps in locating this weird problem.

Again thanks for the help.
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

This usually happens when your add your user name to the vboxusers group on the host and do not log out. Sometimes it ever requires a reboot. If however this was not the case we are no closer to finding out what your issue was sadly. Good news is you now have it working.