Windows 7 Licensing and Immutable Disks

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
sonicfrequency

Re: Windows 7 Licensing and Immutable Disks

Post by sonicfrequency »

Lauscher wrote:Hello sonicfrequency,
VBoxManage setextradata "win7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/SLICRom" "SLIC.bin"
You only write "SLIC.bin". Try to give the full path to the file:

Code: Select all

/root/virtualbox vms/win7/SLIC.bin
Use correct typing BIG/small. My VM-folder is written "VirtualBox VMs", not "virtualbox vms". Maybe this could be a problem, too.
Is there an ExtraDataItems parameter to change the memory read location?
I don't know.
What a great community! Thank you for the speedy response!

I've input the directory location exactly, copying the output from the pwd terminal command while Im in the directory my SLIC.bin resides in. I've also copied SLIC.bin to the root directory at ~/ and attempted to reference it using the absolute path "~/SLIC.bin."

If I remove all "ExtraDataItem" parameters from the vbox file and only leave the "ExtraDataItem" that references the SLIC.bin file, I still receive the "Configuration error: Invalid config key for ACPI device." Of course things boot normally but unlicensed once I remove the SLIC.bin "ExtraDataItem" parameter too. Then were back to the win7.vbox file's default configuration.

Should the VM boot with just the SLIC.bin extradata parameter? (No other "ExtraDataItem" parameters) If so, I know there is an error with the SLIC.bin file.

EDIT: I have also tried other Dell SLIC2.1 ROMS I've found. I just update the "ExtraDataItem" parameter to reference the location I put the ROM in. Virtualbox results in the same error.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for your response!
Lauscher
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu 7.04+10.04, Xubuntu 11.10

Post by Lauscher »

Hello,

Compare your command with mine:

VBoxManage setextradata "WindowsRAW" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable" "~/VirtualBox\ VMs/WindowsRAW/WindowsRAW_SLIC.bin"

VBoxManage setextradata "win7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/SLICRom" "SLIC.bin"
I'm using CustomTable, not SLICRom! This should be the bug.
If I remove all "ExtraDataItem" parameters from the vbox file
You don't need to do this. For example, you can type ""

VBoxManage setextradata "win7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/SLICRom" ""
to delete the entry from your win7.vbox-File.
sonicfrequency

Post by sonicfrequency »

Lauscher wrote:Hello,

Compare your command with mine:

VBoxManage setextradata "WindowsRAW" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable" "~/VirtualBox\ VMs/WindowsRAW/WindowsRAW_SLIC.bin"

I'm using CustomTable, not SLICRom! This should be the bug.
If I remove all "ExtraDataItem" parameters from the vbox file
You don't need to do this. For example, you can type ""

VBoxManage setextradata "win7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/SLICRom" ""
to delete the entry from your win7.vbox-File.
Using "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable" does allow the VM to boot using the SLIC.bin! Halfway there (maybe.)

I did have a 374 Byte SLIC located in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/. I'm using this command with the SLIC.bin I generated earlier using "dd if=/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SLIC of=SLIC.bin" . I see that you didn't. I believe you did an ACPI dump which is why you used "CustomTable." Not too sure about this.

Were you able to successfully activate Windows in your VM? If so, which parameters did you use? Is there any way to specify DMI memory address?

Per the directions I've tried:
VBoxManage setextradata "win7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable" "SLIC.bin"
VBoxManage setextradata "win7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "0667CC"
VBoxManage setextradata "win7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBoardVendor" "Dell Inc."
VBoxManage setextradata "win7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "Latitude E6410"
VBoxManage setextradata "win7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "Dell Inc."

I've even taken this one step futher and tried adding these ExtraParams:
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSFirmwareMajor" value="4"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSFirmwareMinor" value="6"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSReleaseDate" value="11/30/2011"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSReleaseMajor" value="4"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSReleaseMinor" value="6"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSVendor" value="Dell Inc."/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion" value="A11"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" value="Latitude E6410"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" value="64JVSM1"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" value="Dell Inc."/>
Lauscher

Post by Lauscher »

Using "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable" does allow the VM to boot using the SLIC.bin!
Good!
I did have a 374 Byte SLIC located in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/. I'm using this command with the SLIC.bin I generated earlier using "dd if=/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SLIC of=SLIC.bin" . I see that you didn't. I believe you did an ACPI dump which is why you used "CustomTable." Not too sure about this.
I did the same as you (using "dd if=/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SLIC of=WindowsRAW_SLIC.bin"). I use "CustomTable" because it is the syntax the zigg-Patch is using. I don't know why you were using "SLICRom", maybe it's a syntax from another patch.
Were you able to successfully activate Windows in your VM? If so, which parameters did you use?
Yes. I don't need to activate Windows again. You found everything I used in this guidance I wrote. It's written in german, I hope you understand enough of it. I set the BIOS-Parameters as you (and some more), also I set parameters for harddisk, CD/DVD und the MAC-adresses of network adapters.

Edit:
Is there any way to specify DMI memory address?
I don't know. Why do you think you need that?
Edit2: You don't need to run VirtualBox as root. It's no good idea to give Windows root rights on your linux system.
Edit3: To discuss problems with Windows activation, better use this thread. I can give you answers there, too.
sonicfrequency

Post by sonicfrequency »

I've looked at your site with English Google translate. Awesome job but I think I've done all these steps already. I could've used it a few days ago! :cry:

I booted Windows both natively and virtually and ran dmidecode -t0, -t1 and -t2. You can see the DOS prompt results in and to compare the difference between the DMI data Windows reads.

If you compare them side by side, you'll notice a few differences:
-Dmidecode in the VM reports "Invalid entry length <0>. DMI table is broken! Stop."
-None of the extradataitem values are carried into the Virtual machine dmi -t0.
-The native boot -t0 address is 0xF0000, the virual boot -t0 address is 0xE0000.

Did we find the problem?
Last edited by sonicfrequency on 11. Jun 2012, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
sonicfrequency

Post by sonicfrequency »

Ok, finally got it!

Thank you good sir!

My problems in a nutshell:

I followed the instructions on the first page of this thread:
• I used "SLICRom" when specifying the location of my SLIC.bin. That had to be changed to "CustomTable"
• I had to include DMIBIOSVersion, DMIBIOSVendor, DmiBIOSReleaseDate, DMISystemSerial. Following the first page, I was only using the recommended ExtraDataItems (DMIBoardProduct,DMIBoardVendor,DMISystemProduct,DMISystemVendor). This makes 8 total ExtraDataItem's.

Now my -t0 dmi shows the correct data (still different memory location though.)

I hope this thread helps someone!
Lauscher

Post by Lauscher »

Ok, finally got it!
fine :)
Thank you good sir!
Your're welcome! (First time someone called me "sir" :D )
Now my -t0 dmi shows the correct data
How did you get the DOS-Shell in Windows to compare dmidecode? Is dmidecode a program included in Windows, too, or did you installed it? I would like to compare my own system dmidecode.

If you get problems with product activation, it should be discussed in this thread, otherwise it would be too much offtopic in this thread.

Greetings, Lauscher

P.S.: Maybe you like to post and set a link to my guidance in the mydigitallife-Forum, maybe it will be useful for someone.
sonicfrequency

Post by sonicfrequency »

I can't post a link yet. I found the dmidecode.exe for Windows at gnuwin32 . sourceforge . net. It's been quite useful.

If I ever have issues, I will post in the other thread.

Thank you scp / Matt Behrens for developing this patch!
lxxl

Post by lxxl »

what about windows patch f? i have windows host so there is no way to use this patch if i need to use extra ACPI tables ...
VecH

Post by VecH »

I have a Windows host + VirtualBox 4.1.18 r78361
trying to add the virtual machine configuration strings:

VBoxManage setextradata "WinXP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/SLICRom" "%USERPROFILE%\VirtualBox VMs\WinXP\WinXP_SLIC.bin"
or

VBoxManage setextradata "WinXP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable" "%USERPROFILE%\VirtualBox VMs\WinXP\WinXP_SLIC.bin"
and

VBoxManage setextradata "WinXP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct"  "P8H77-M"
VBoxManage setextradata "WinXP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBoardVendor"   "ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC."
VBoxManage setextradata "WinXP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "System Product Name"
VBoxManage setextradata "WinXP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor"  "System manufacturer"
I get the error:

Configuration error: Invalid config key for ACPI device (VERR_PDM_DEVINS_UNKNOWN_CFG_VALUES)
What do I do?
Lauscher

Post by Lauscher »

You get error VERR_PDM_DEVINS_UNKNOWN_CFG_VALUES when the patch is not installed or something goes wrong with your installation from the ppa. Try to make the installation again.
VecH

Post by VecH »

host Windows 7
not linux !
Lauscher

Post by Lauscher »

Maybe you are able to put the patch into the source of VirtualBox and compile it yourself. But I can't say how to do it in Windows.
VecH

Post by VecH »

I found a utility that adds the SLIC table in a file vboxdd.dll
robwiss

Post by robwiss »

I've created a script to configure VirtualBox with the SLIC.bin file and extradata needed to get recovery media to believe VirtualBox is the host PC. It works for me on virtualbox version 4.2.6. It is based on the script from the thread on this forum titled "HOWTO: Windows 7: In both VM and native -- VBox3.x". I would post a link but the forum insists I be a member for one day first.

Here it is:

#! /bin/bash
VM_NAME="Windows" # Name of your Virtual Machine
SLIC_PATH="~/VirtualBox VMs/Windows/SLIC.bin" # Path where you want to store the SLIC.bin file
VSETED="VBoxManage setextradata $VM_NAME"
CFG_PATH="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBIOSVendor       "Hewlett-Packard"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBIOSVersion      "F.11"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBIOSReleaseDate  "06/04/2008"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBIOSReleaseMajor  4
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBIOSReleaseMinor  5
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBIOSFirmwareMajor 1
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBIOSFirmwareMinor 2
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiSystemVendor     "Hewlett-Packard"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiSystemProduct    "HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook PC"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiSystemVersion    "0000000000000"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiSystemSerial     "ABC1234"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiSystemUuid       "99999999-9999-9999-9999-9999999999999"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiSystemFamily     "000B_12315V"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBoardProduct     "string:7132"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBoardSerial      "R M784 42 7H ND 76X"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBoardVendor      "Hewlett-Packard"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBoardVersion     "91.4B"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBoardAssetTag    "Base Board Asset Tag"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBoardBoardType   "3"
$VSETED $CFG_PATH/DmiBoardLocInChass  "string:0x0003"

SYS_SLIC="/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SLIC"
if [ -e "$SYS_SLIC" ]; then
    sudo dd if="$SYS_SLIC" of="$SLIC_PATH"
    $VSETED VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable "$SLIC_PATH"
fi
A key thing to note is that if you put in an integer value VirtualBox will attempt to process it as an integer. If a string is expected for that value you'll get an error like:
Configuration Error: Querying "DmiBIOSVersion" as a string failed (VERR_CFGM_NOT_STRING).

To fix it preface the value with "string:". See DmiBoardProduct in my script for an example.