Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RomikB

Re: Windows 8?

Post by RomikB »

rseiler wrote:To save me from scrutinizing the log, did you change any of the defaults? You shouldn't need to change a single one of them if you chose Windows 8 when setting up. If you didn't, I don't see how your results could be different than mine.
I change nothing, all by default for windows 8 (32 bit).
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

It must be something the pickier RP doesn't like about your host then, such as what many people have been seeing unrelated to virtualization:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 2d237b0edb

Maybe your NX/PAE is disabled on the host, though if that's the case I doubt that Vbox would allow you to enable it in its settings.

More detail here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 805a2d95ef

A key part in a post there: setup.exe found in the \sources directory of the Windows DVD does not perform the NX/SSE2 checks...
RomikB

Post by RomikB »

To resolve this error, follow manufacturer guidelines to enable NX (“No eXecute bit”), or the equivalent XD (“eXecute Disabled”) feature, within the BIOS security settings.
After enabling this feature, windows 8 start booting in virtualbox.
On clean install on physical PC windows 8 can install when this feature disabled.
Andre.Ziegler
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Vista Sp2, Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin)

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

ok, after you have Windows 8 installed, can you please check if you also have crashes of Application (Explorer.exe, IE, WiNSAT) inside the Win8 VM?
Legolas

Post by Legolas »

I had perfect results in all the Windows 8 versions and now in the Release I had bad results. I re-installed and didn't use VBox Additions and all is well. Yeah!
RomikB

Post by RomikB »

Same results, without additions all good, but not optimal graphics.
Vjetar
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Debian, MacOS X, Windows server 2008 R2, SuSe, Fedora, Windows 8

Post by Vjetar »

Everything was working fine here with Windows 8 x64 both DP and CP and GA until VirtualBox 4.1.16.
After upgrade from previous version of VirtualBox (4.1.14 AFAIR) I didn't succeed to get login screen.
I made instalation W/O guest additions and all was fine. If I install GA, there is no login screen, just green background.

Host is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I just installed W8 PR with the guest additions and except for an occasional blanking of the screen it seems to be working.

IE10 does occasionally say it's crashed but if I dismiss the crash dialog window it continues to work.
Last edited by loukingjr on 5. Jun 2012, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

You must have done one of the tricks mentioned earlier in the thread to get additions working. Which one did you try? I don't really want to spend a couple hours figuring it out again.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

rseiler wrote:You must have done one of the tricks mentioned earlier in the thread to get additions working. Which one did you try? I don't really want to spend a couple hours figuring it out again.
I didn't use any tricks. I downloaded the .iso. Installed it as a guest. I'm on a Mac if that changes anything.
stevemaser
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by stevemaser »

I am running 4.1.16 on a Mac Host. I am able to install both the 32 and 64-bit Windows 8 Preview releases without issue (using the default "Windows 8" settings -- at least I believe they are the defaults).

Both 32 and 64-bit preview releases seem fine -- until I install the Guest Additions.

On both systems, after the Guest Additions are installed and I finish to "Reboot now" -- if I immediately hit "Finish" to reboot -- I get an Explorer error. If I reinstall Windows 8 into a clean VM and *wait* when the reboot screen is up for a while before clicking "Finish", then there is no Explorer error when I reboot.

However, the Windows 8 OS -- performs very sluggishly with the guest additions installed. I'm not getting any errors, but everything seems to be hesitating when comparing to running things *without* the Guest Additions installed.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

stevemaser wrote:I am running 4.1.16 on a Mac Host. I am able to install both the 32 and 64-bit Windows 8 Preview releases without issue (using the default "Windows 8" settings -- at least I believe they are the defaults).

Both 32 and 64-bit preview releases seem fine -- until I install the Guest Additions.

On both systems, after the Guest Additions are installed and I finish to "Reboot now" -- if I immediately hit "Finish" to reboot -- I get an Explorer error. If I reinstall Windows 8 into a clean VM and *wait* when the reboot screen is up for a while before clicking "Finish", then there is no Explorer error when I reboot.

However, the Windows 8 OS -- performs very sluggishly with the guest additions installed. I'm not getting any errors, but everything seems to be hesitating when comparing to running things *without* the Guest Additions installed.
well, it doesn't seem sluggish to me but, any guest would be faster without emulating 3D graphics etc. no GA's, no Aero.
stevemaser
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by stevemaser »

The point I wanted to make is that things are different with the Win8 *Preview Release* than they were with the two previous public seed releases.

For me, just clicking any Metro icon (after installing the Guest additions) takes a noticeable amount of time longer than it did before installing the guest additions.

Or moving the cursor down to the bottom of the metro screen takes extra time before the scroll bar appears.

Stuff like that. Very noticeable on my machine after installing the guest additions.
misha

Post by misha »

For those seeing slowdowns with Metro interface with Windows 8 Release Preview: VBox 4.1.16 was not tested against Win8 Release Preview for obvious reasons, and we indeed reproduced the slowdown issue and are now working on solving it.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Thanks, though I don't think most of us (i.e. non-Mac users) have actually seen that phenomenon, since if the previous post is representative, it relates to having extensions installed, and that was (in the Consumer Preview) and is (in the Release preview) close to impossible to do.