Allowing broadcasts to the guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jimoe
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: os/2, win-xp, win-10

Allowing broadcasts to the guest

Post by jimoe »

opensuse v12.1
linux 3.1.10-1.9-desktop x86_64
guest os/2 v4.5x
VM network: Bridged adapter.

I have a database manager (Sybase SQLAnywhere) running in an OS/2 guest VM. I have not succeeded in making it visible to the outside world. The dbm is also running on a native OS/2 installation without any problem so I an guessing that the linux host is somehow preventing the expected operation.

I have opened port 1498 (sybase-sqlany) in the linux firewall. I have also allowed UDP/TCP broadcasts on port 1498. When a SQL client (in a VM!) is searching for a connection, it broadcasts on port 1498 IP 255.255.255.255, then 192.255.255.255 which elicits a response from the native OS/2 system. The dbm in the VM never responds. (I do not run both servers at the same time.)

What settings are required to allow a broadcast through to the VM?
naemrr
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: ubuntu natty, windows 2k3, windows xp pro, windows vista x86 & x64, debian squeeze

Re: Allowing broadcasts to the guest

Post by naemrr »

your networking setup for the VM would have been handy but i will run under the ill informed assumption that you left NAT as the network interface.

if you need the whole network to be able to talk to the guest, choose bridged networking and select the adapter connected to your lan (often times eth0, but please double check this)

if you need it only to talk to the host, set to host only, keep in mind however that unless you are prepared to play with iptables host only means just that, only the host can talk to the guest, and only the guest can talk to the host.

if none of this works for you please give us more information about the host and guest network arrangement so the community can give better guidance.
jimoe

Post by jimoe »

naemrr wrote:your networking setup for the VM would have been handy...
Already provided:
> "VM network: Bridged adapter"
if you need the whole network to talk to the guest, choose bridged networking and select the adapter connected to your lan (often times eth0, but please double check this).
It is "bridged adapter" connected to eth0.
if none of this works for you please give us more information about the host and guest network arrangement so the community can give better guidance.
I did forget the VBox version: v4.1.14.
What more, specifically, do you need regarding the network setup?
naemrr
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: ubuntu natty, windows 2k3, windows xp pro, windows vista x86 & x64, debian squeeze

Post by naemrr »

things such as, how do the software components communicate with each other? does the sql database need to be exposed to the outside world or just the user interface? are you trying to access all of this from outside the local network, how are you testing the setup? if your testing from another machine on the network by trying to connect to your wan ip, does your routing/gateway device/solution support loop-back? have you forwarded the correct ports on the correct protocols? (ie, if something in the setup needs udp but you only forwarded tcp, or vise versa it would fail to operate as intended)
if ports do need to be open to the database running in the guest VM did you forward them to the guest VM's ip address, or the host? (should be forwarded to guest)

other things to look at include

if this setup is supposed to be accessible from the outside network, does your code point the application to the wan, or lan ip for the database, if database access is handled client side rather than server side, your application would need to attempt to access the WAN ip rather than the LAN ip.
jimoe

Post by jimoe »

> how do the software components communicate with each other?
The db clients broadcast a location request on port 1498 (sybase-sqlany) on IP address 255.255.255.255, then 192.255.255.255. The db server responds to the 192.255.255.255. broadcast. Once the server has responded, the client then communicates using the server's IP address.

> does the sql database need to be exposed to the outside world or just the user interface?
Only on the local network.

> are you trying to access all of this from outside the local network
No, only the local network.

> how are you testing the setup?
The db server is started in a guest VM. The client software attempts to find it.

> if your testing from another machine on the network by trying to connect to your wan ip, does your routing/gateway device/solution support loop-back?
Not relevant.

> have you forwarded the correct ports on the correct protocols? (ie, if something in the setup needs udp but you only forwarded tcp, or vise versa it would fail to operate as intended)
Ah, port forwarding. How do I do that with SuseFirewall?

> if ports do need to be open to the database running in the guest VM did you forward them to the guest VM's ip address, or the host? (should be forwarded to guest)
I have opened the ports (UDP and TCP) in SuseFirewall (the guest is not running a firewall), and allow broadcasts on those ports. I do not recall any option in the setup panels to forward ports to other networks or IPs.