Solaris 10 Scroll Wheel

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
Geekasaurus
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: XP, solaris 10

Solaris 10 Scroll Wheel

Post by Geekasaurus »

I have a Solaris 10 guest on Ubuntu 10.0.4 LTS. Virtualbox version is 4.1.12 r77245. The scroll wheel on the mouse does not work. There is also a XP guest on the same host, and the scroll wheel works just fine there.

I'm an experienced *nix Admin, but am new to virtualbox. Can anyone offer clues as to where to start?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Solaris 10 Scroll Wheel

Post by michaln »

Well... first of all, how do you know that the scroll wheel is even supposed to do anything?
Geekasaurus

Post by Geekasaurus »

I have a Sunblade 100 running Solaris 10 also. It is side-by-side with my Ubuntu/VB/Solaris box. The scroll wheel on that system works as expected. I can swap mouses with no change without observed differences.

The scroll wheel works fine on my XP virtual guest. The problem is in VB and/or Solaris (I doubt that this is a solaris issue, but anything is possible). In the VB GUI, I see nothing about mouses of any kind. So I suspect that there is a configuration file somewhere that I can hand-edit.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Geekasaurus wrote:I have a Sunblade 100 running Solaris 10 also.
The same Solaris 10 version as in your VM? And which one is that, anyway? As you probably know, Solaris 10 has been out for 7 years now and there are significant differences between the various update releases.
Geekasaurus

Post by Geekasaurus »

The SunBlade 100 is an old SPARC-based system I bought on Ebay for $25. My Ubuntu/VB system is running on AMD. Yes, I know that they are different versions and releases--they are different hardware. I am hoping that someone can point me to a configuration file on VB so I can fix this.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

All I'm saying is that there isn't necessarily anything to fix if your Solaris 10 release doesn't support the scroll wheel. But you didn't say which Solaris 10 release you're running, so it's really hard to make any definitive statements.

I can tell you that the initial Solaris 10 release did not support the scroll wheel. Solaris 10 10/09 (S10U8) did. If you're running something in between, I don't know if the scroll wheel is supported or not.

In addition, if you're using the absolute pointer device (USB tablet) with VirtualBox, Solaris won't understand the scroll wheels either. It just doesn't, even though other operating systems do.