Standby problems host-os while using VBox.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sputnik

Standby problems host-os while using VBox.

Post by Sputnik »

First of all, thanks to Sun (and the former InnoTek fellows) for this wonderful program! Since I tried VirtualBox for the first time, all the bugs or glitches I encountered are squashed, however one problem remained. I'll try to explain it as clear as possible (excuse me for my English).

Situation:
VirtualBox installed on a Windows XP SP3 computer, witch the very same OS as a guest (with guest additions installed). When I put my computer in standby, and I move my mouse or tap the keyboard to wake up it, the screen remains black or the computer reboots, this depends.

Things I've tried in VBox:
I've made an installation using the IO-ACPI option, and also tried it with a guest without the quest additions installed. Also the usage of IDE or SATA virtual hard disks made no difference. Also enabling or disabling VT-x didn't change the situation. (The first version of VirtualBox I've ever tried was 1.5.2 and was causing the same problem back then.)

Other things I've tried:
My former visualization program "VirtualPC" caused no standby problems. Also a trial version of "VMware" caused no problems.

I have a Intel DP965LT motherboard with the latest bios, and a Intel Core2Duo E6300 CPU, this might help.

Hope somebody can help me since I would really like to dump VirtualPC for VirtualBox :D
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

VT-x enabled or not? I think there's already a defect for this in our bugtracker. You can add your comments there or create a new defect if there's none. Thanks.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Dear Sander,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I think you mean the following ticket?
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1878

I'll test once again with the VT-x disabled and report back. Is there any status on fixing this ticket?
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

That's the right ticket. There's no ETA for a fix yet. Just don't suspend the machine when a VM is running for now.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Thanks again (dank u wel, presumed you speak Dutch, I do... a little :mrgreen: )
arnold.anderio

Re: Standby problems host-os while using VBox.

Post by arnold.anderio »

I have an HP DV6000 laptop. I'm running Crunchbang Linux with Debian Squeeze - kernel 2.6.32-5-686. I have this same effect. Whether a VM is running or not, 4.1 fouls suspend or hibernate. With suspend, I can go into suspend. But when I try to resume, I just have a black unresponsive screen. I just went back to 3.18 and now have a functioning suspend/hibernate. So for this lappie, the same problem is reproducible every time with 4.1.

On a separate note, I went back to 3.18 because it USED to allow me to actually suspend or hibernate my Linux host, and my Windows XP guest would not be harmed when I resumed. I didn't even have to pause the VM, it just worked. But now, after re-installing 3.18, that capability is no longer functioning. The VM is just gone after resuming. Oh well, at least 3.18 doesn't hose suspend and resume in general.
Post by | Arnold