Failed to access USB System

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Simon Said

Failed to access USB System

Post by Simon Said »

After upgrading to v4.1.12 I am getting a "Failed to access USB System" error message each time I try to modify one of the virtual machine settings (see attachment). However, the device manager applet on the guest shows the normal USB entries under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers” node, that is the “Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller” and “USB Root Hub”.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Host is Win7 SP 1 x64
E.g. Guest Win7 SP1 x86.
Attachments
Error Message
Error Message
FailedToAccessErrorMsg.jpg (10.07 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Failed to access USB System

Post by mpack »

When reporting problems, please provided a VM log file as a zipped attachment. The log file can be found by default in the <userdata>\VirtualBox VMs\<VM name>\Logs subfolder.

With the information provided, the most likely cause is that you have not installed the extension pack. Here is how.
Simon Said

Post by Simon Said »

Requested log file attached.

Regarding "you have not installed the extension pack". Why by merely upgrading from 4.1.10 to 4.1.12 I would suddenly need to install the extension pack when I made absolutely no change to the VM settings?

Thanks,
Attachments
VBox.zip
VBox.log
(13.96 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not sure why you think the VM settings are relevant, unless of course you mean you have no need for USB2 and therefore have it disabled in the VM settings. The VirtualBox software and the extension packs come in matched pairs. You should always download and install both at the same time, assuming you need USB or VRDP.

In fact your log shows that no extension packs are installed, which explains why you have problems using USB.

Please read section 1.5 of the user manual, which explains what the extension pack is for.
Simon Said

Post by Simon Said »

> I'm not sure why you think the VM settings are relevant

It is when bringing up the Settings dialog box that the message box appear. There will be no messages displayed if Enable USB Controler option is unchecked though.

> In fact your log shows that no extension packs are installed, which explains why you have problems using USB.

The error still occurs even after installing the extension pack. New log attached.
Attachments
VBox.zip
VBox.log (Ver 2)
(13.75 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Did you try rebooting the Windows host?
Question: was the guest in saved state when you updated and not shut down?
Simon Said

Post by Simon Said »

Yes the Win7 x64 host has been rebooted (several times actually) and the error still occurs.

All the guests were shutdown at the time of the the host upgrade to 4.1.12

I have another Win7 x64 host, which was updated from 4.1.8 to 4.1.12 and this one does not have any problem.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Your updated log says "USB operational", so it's a puzzle that the error message still says USB not available?
RobBrownNZ
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
Guest OSses: WinXP, Gentoo64, Gentoo32

Post by RobBrownNZ »

I got exactly the same symptoms. I've had conflicts before between VirtualBox and HHD Software USB Monitor, so I uninstalled USB Monitor, and the problem went away. Simon Said, do you have any unusual USB-related software on your machine?

I'm sorry but I didn't grab a log before I uninstalled USB Monitor, and if I reinstall it I'll need to reboot, so it'll be a while before I can provide the log.

The previous problem is #9298 on the VirtualBox bug tracker, I notice that someone else has encountered this new problem as well.
Simon Said

Post by Simon Said »

> Simon Said, do you have any unusual USB-related software on your machine?

Nothing special. I have software for my webcam that I disabled but it did not make any difference.
Attachments
USB Controllers.png
USB Controllers.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 9923 times
B_Leibbrand

Post by B_Leibbrand »

I have te same problem.

I used the guest for my 32 bits office 2010 to synchronize with my HTC HD2 telephone, using USB.
(The host has 64 bits, and this version does no longer support the synchronisation between outlook and my windows 6.5 phone :( )

So no special USB software, unless Windows Mobile Applications Center causes the trouble.
Simon Said

Post by Simon Said »

It appears this problem was fix in v4.1.14 even if it isn't mentioned in the change log.