Ubuntu 8.04 host interface broke after 1.6 upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
cornbread

Ubuntu 8.04 host interface broke after 1.6 upgrade

Post by cornbread »

Was working fine with 1.5.6 i upgraded to 1.6 and now windows can't pull an ip address. I tried to set it back up with sudo VBoxAddIF vbox0 cornbread br0. It said it set it up and it still doesn't work.

TIA for the help.
hege

Post by hege »

My networking broke after I upgraded to 1.6 also. It seems PCnet adapter is b0rked in this version. After changing to Intel 1000/MT virtual adapter, my XP and Linux guests started working again..
eculpepper

Post by eculpepper »

i'm having a similar problem with the pcnet nic not working after 'upgrading' from 1.5.6 to 1.6 with the commercial binary. i've tried to configure the intel pro nic but it doesn't want to connect to the dhcp server through the bridge anymore. this is on sles 10 host and windows xp sp3 guest.
eculpepper

Post by eculpepper »

as a reply to myself i can get the intel pro/1000 driver to work if i set the network to NAT, however if i set it back to host interface and vbox0 as the device, then nothing works.

i guess i'll be re-installing 1.5.6 and waiting for an update to the 1.6 versions. :?
cornbread

Nice

Post by cornbread »

sounds like we've found a common theme. I wonder if what the devs have to say.
DeanoUk

Post by DeanoUk »

After realising host interface networking is b0rked in 1.6, I've tried using NAT - on both the AMD and Intel nics, but still I can't get net access. Quite frustrating.

Wouldn't mind trying a 1.5x version but there's nothing on the downloads page.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

See http://www.virtualbox.org/download for older versions. It's strange that you don't have anything working with NAT, as I have no problems with it. Host interface same story, working just fine on Linux (Xubuntu 8.04). With Windows I do have some problems, but that could be my firewall too.
Do you use the Intel/Pro1000 NIC emulation?
Last edited by Sasquatch on 5. May 2008, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
hege

Post by hege »

Peri_quete

Post by Peri_quete »

same problem.

change to intel pro/1000 and works

Host: ubuntu 8.04,
Guest: Windows XP SP3
cornbread

link to drivers

Post by cornbread »

can someone link me or post the drivers? my xp sp2 install can't find them... TIA
hege

Post by hege »

objectref

Post by objectref »

Hi,

i am new to Virtual Box and i have succesfully added a VM with Windows XP inside my Ubuntu 8.04.

I have the 1.5 version (OSE) and i want to ask what i should do to upgrade to 1.6 ? Do i have to dowload the binary file from here http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads ("Binaries (all platforms")

run it and it will upgrade my 1.5 installation, or i must do something else ?

Thanks in advance,

anthony
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Why do people first ask before they try? Sun made sure that every step that is needed for the upgrade is taken care of in the installer. For Linux, just run the package as root and it's good to install. I upgraded mine just fine. Opened the package, hit Install, and voilá, done.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
objectref

Post by objectref »

Sasquatch wrote:Why do people first ask before they try?
Because i tried to install it and returned an error message at 03:30 am last night and i haven't had the eyes to track it down...So i believed that i made something wrong.
Sun made sure that every step that is needed for the upgrade is taken care of in the installer. For Linux, just run the package as root and it's good to install. I upgraded mine just fine. Opened the package, hit Install, and voilá, done.
Maybe the error was that i didn't run under root priviledges, i will try that first thing i got home tonight.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

All these problems with host networking interfaces are quite strange. I just installed a fresh Hardy / i386 here and VirtualBox 1.6.0 on top of it. Set up host networking as described in the manual (same as with 1.5.6) and it works fine. Please could someone of you attach a VBox.log file to http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1471 ? Please use a log file from a session when hostif doesn't work.