Guru Meditation after installing 4.1.10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Benabik

Guru Meditation after installing 4.1.10

Post by Benabik »

After I installed 4.1.10, I've been unable to run any of my virtual machines. Downgrading to 4.1.8 does not appear to have helped. The guest is Debian, the host OS X 10.7.3. Attached is the VBox.log and VBox.png from one of the crashes.

After starting the VM, I see the GRUB boot screen and am able to select a boot option. It seems to crash while trying to load initrd.

Edit: Removed blank screenshot.
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
(36.78 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Last edited by Benabik on 22. Mar 2012, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Guru Meditation after installing 4.1.10

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

00:00:01.028 HWACCM: VMX setup failed with rc=VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE!
Is another Virtualizer running?
Also make sure the permissions are correct. Run the Repair Disk Permissions using Disk Utility on your MAC host.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

MAC = Media Access Control; Mac = Macintosh... right?

Trying to repair disk permissions will do nothing for this problem. Something else has taken over virtualization. The other application has to be stopped, and if that doesn't help and something else went wrong, the system may need to be rebooted.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Semantics, maybe I should just say your apple product.
The also was to offset the next rash of issues since it has become a major problem.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Semantics are important :)

Unrelated, but just in case I missed something: Is the screenshot of a blank screen meant to convey some meaningful information or was it attached just to waste a bit of bandwidth?

At any rate, it's very unusual for VT-x to be unavailable on Apple hardware. So the fact that it's unavailable does likely signify a problem. Maybe as simple as another virtualizer running, maybe something deeper.
Benabik

Post by Benabik »

Disk Utility reported some ruby programs having incorrect permissions. Fixing them did not fix VirtualBox.

The blank screen was attached because the error message suggested sending the log and the screenshot. I had expected it to display the "Loading initrd..." message, actually, but didn't check it before uploading.

I did install something to aid the new Android emulator, but am not currently running the emulator. I even tried unloading that kext, and VirtualBox still fails.

I also have Parallels Desktop 6 installed to run my Boot Camp partition. I've had this installed for some time. Unloading its hypervisor kext doesn't allow Virtualbox to run. Parallels can start a Linux VM fine.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Also, thanks for the assistance.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

I guess we'll need to update our instructions to say to upload a screenshot only if it contains any actual information :)

My suggestion, try rebooting the host (possibly powering off and on to be really sure). See if that will allow VirtualBox to allow hardware virtualization. Your CPU can do it, and it should be available.

As a side note, if downgrading to the previously working version didn't help, there must be something else causing trouble. Maybe upgrading VirtualBox had nothing to do with it.
Benabik

Post by Benabik »

I'm guessing the upgrade didn't have much to do with it now. Rebooting has not fixed the problem. :-(
Benabik

Post by Benabik »

Ah! Uninstalling the Intel HAXM extension and rebooting fixed the issue.

Thank you all for your help.

Edit: I started a thread on Intel's forums about this issue: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/ ... p?t=103907 If anyone else encounters this, please chime in there.

Edit 2: Now I've been registered long enough to make that a real link.
Last edited by Benabik on 25. Mar 2012, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Aha. Thanks for tracking that down.

This is definitely Intel's bug, they need to get the CPU out of VMX root mode when they're done. That's exactly what VirtualBox does. VMware etc. should be similarly affected.
Benabik

Post by Benabik »

I found it odd that Parallels would run without it, but I guess v6 either doesn't use VT-X or automatically avoids it if it's not enabled.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Oh, VirtualBox runs without VT-x too. But not everything works, and apparently your guest is one of those that don't. 32-bit Windows guests usually aren't a problem, Linux is a toss-up because the configuration can be just about anything.