Windows 8?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Cougarroo

Re: Windows 8?

Post by Cougarroo »

I didn't see any previous questions about my problem, but I can't get Windows 8 to work in my VM VirtualBox. I keep getting a: "VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature and will fail to boot without it" message. What can I do to fix or troubleshoot this problem? I running VM VirtualBox 4.1.10 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
sbk-a

Post by sbk-a »

Cougarroo wrote:I didn't see any previous questions about my problem, but I can't get Windows 8 to work in my VM VirtualBox. I keep getting a: "VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature and will fail to boot without it" message. What can I do to fix or troubleshoot this problem? I running VM VirtualBox 4.1.10 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
What CPU is in your system? You need to look that up on the Intel or AMD web site to see, and check your BIOS.
I have HP laptops with Intel Core i5, and you need to go the BIOS and enable VT-x. Other systems may also turn it off in the BIOS by default.
TomL12953
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Commodore OS, Win 8

Post by TomL12953 »

selden wrote:This is, of course, slightly premature, but...
What problems is one likely to encounter when trying to boot Windows 8 in VirtualBox?
One problem I have is that when I install Guest Additions, I can't run Solitaire or Pinball. Without Guest Additions, I can't run in full screen mode.

Tom L
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

TomL12953 wrote:
selden wrote:This is, of course, slightly premature, but...
What problems is one likely to encounter when trying to boot Windows 8 in VirtualBox?
One problem I have is that when I install Guest Additions, I can't run Solitaire or Pinball. Without Guest Additions, I can't run in full screen mode.

Tom L
There are no guest additions yet for Windows 8 and there will not be any written until after the OS is released. Guest additions are specific to a particular OS version (to allow it to work better as a vm).
Bill
selden
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Arch linux

Post by selden »

BillG,

Apparently you have not been following this thread very closely. The VB developers are trying to make the GA work with Win8 now. Just a few posts above this, they asked for log files and other evidence in order to fix the v4.1.10 GA bugs seen with Win8 Customer Preview. That's what beta testing is all about: report the bugs now so they can be fixed so everything works by the time the final release becomes available.
Selden
sbk-a

Re: Windows 8? - Microsoft updates cause new problems

Post by sbk-a »

My Windows 8 guest system just installed several Microsoft updates from this week.
Note it had been using Guest Additions 4.1.8 just fine with Virtualbox 4.1.10, until now.
Metro-style apps no longer run.
I tried the 4.1.10 Guest additions, and Metro-style apps don't work, either (a known problem).
So I now will wait for the new guest additions.
One additional problem - Virtualbox now takes 50% of the CPU, so I'll be leaving the VM paused if I am not actively using it.
Would logs help>
dpeteual

Post by dpeteual »

I am seeing all the posts about the GA etc. It appears that this issue has captured all help. If anyone could give some help about my USB problem I would appreciate it.

Host Win7 64, Guest Win8 CP 32. Works fine. As stated earlier no guest additions.

Problem: Can't access a USB flash drive. I use VB with other OS and I know how to set a filter etc. Works fine in other OS. When I set the filter in the Win8 VM and open the Win8 VM, Win8 captures the USB drive. It shows up in Devices in VB and not in the Host. The problem is that I can't see it in Explorer. Also the USB eject icon in the task bar on the Win8 desktop shows the VDI Hard drive but not he USB drive.
sbk-a

Re: Windows 8? - Clock watchdog timeout

Post by sbk-a »

And my other system the Win8 crashing with a CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT.
Might be that it has less memory, or something else. I''m going to play with the settings to see.
sbk-a

Re: Windows 8? - Clock watchdog timeout

Post by sbk-a »

sbk-a wrote:And my other system the Win8 crashing with a CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT.
Might be that it has less memory, or something else. I''m going to play with the settings to see.
Fix for this was to go to 1 CPU, and Win8 actually runs better. I don't know why, but this fixes it and makes everything usable.
dpeteual

Re: Windows 8 and USB

Post by dpeteual »

I installed the VB 4.1.10 with the 4.1.8 GA. Now the USB flash drives functions. However, just like everyone else, if I install the 4.1.10 GA, Win 8 won't start. Just a black screen.
freezesicle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS 6.22

Post by freezesicle »

dpeteual wrote:I installed the VB 4.1.10 with the 4.1.8 GA. Now the USB flash drives functions. However, just like everyone else, if I install the 4.1.10 GA, Win 8 won't start. Just a black screen.
I know some people are getting this black screen, but not everyone it seems.

I have VB 4.1.10 w/extensions and 4.1.10 GA with wddm driver installed. No black screen. Everything runs ok, just the problems with metro apps not working.

It is weird how this is affecting some users and not others.
torsten

Post by torsten »

More findings about the screen flickering:

The problem seems to be related to windows hosts only. I have a Win8 CP guest running in virtualbox that exhibits the flickering behavior after installing GA - but under a Win7 32bit Home Premium host only. Accessing the same guest on the same hardware through Ubuntu 11.10 64bit does not flicker.

The flicker itself seems to be a buffer problem - random parts of the screen seem to show content from previous clicks. I've even had the clock seemingly jump back and forth between 1:22 pm and 1:23 pm depending on which frame was shown. It's mostly lines across the entire screen, but when dragging a window on the deskop, it can be rectangular areas as well.

When not doing anything, the flicker is about two flickers per second, when moving the mouse or entering text, it seems more like 10 times per second or more.

Hope that helps, in case I can provide you with any additional information or logs, I'd be glad to do so.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

freezesicle wrote:I know some people are getting this black screen, but not everyone it seems.

I have VB 4.1.10 w/extensions and 4.1.10 GA with wddm driver installed. No black screen. Everything runs ok, just the problems with metro apps not working.

It is weird how this is affecting some users and not others.
Perhaps you didn't get the black screen because of something in settings that the rest of us don't have, particularly, though not exclusively, in the Display section?

I'd like to try 4.1.8 GA again to see if they still work (they did when I was using VB 4.1.8), but the ISO doesn't seem to be available for direct download. I'll have to install Vbox elsewhere to get it....

Also, does anyone know of an effective way to get into safe mode under Vbox with W8 to recover from the black screen? For some reason, F8 and Sh-F8 do not work, so I have to go into VM settings, temporarily uncheck networking, and then upon the next boot W8 will offer repair options, one of which is safe mode. It's quite a roundabout method.
Ric157

Windows 8 crashes

Post by Ric157 »

I've installed Win 8 64bit on vbox 4.1.10 many times (my OS is win7x64), but every time crashes. My pc is Intel core 2 quad q6700 and I've assigned the vm 2 processors, 171 mb of video memory (1 gb available, nvidia video card), 30 gb free hd space, 2d acceleration booster, tried both dynamic and fixed disc size, and 2 gb of ram (4 available). Can someone help me please?
evana

Re: Windows 8 crashes

Post by evana »

Ric157 wrote:I've installed Win 8 64bit on vbox 4.1.10 many times (my OS is win7x64), but every time crashes. My pc is Intel core 2 quad q6700 and I've assigned the vm 2 processors, 171 mb of video memory (1 gb available, nvidia video card), 30 gb free hd space, 2d acceleration booster, tried both dynamic and fixed disc size, and 2 gb of ram (4 available). Can someone help me please?
If you're getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error then make sure the cd drive is on an IDE controller. Also try using only one processor for the VM.