Vista Business + Kubuntu 8.04 = Blue screen of death

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ElGrunon

Vista Business + Kubuntu 8.04 = Blue screen of death

Post by ElGrunon »

Trying to install new kubuntu (8.04, i386) on Windows Vista Business (32b) host results in Blue screen of death. It appears that something is wrong with display driver which reports a crash and successful recovery from it. After that system slows down and few seconds after BSOD appears. Configuration I'm working on is:

HP Compaq 6715s
AMD Turion 64 X2 T-58
ATI Radeon X1250 (Catalyst v8.476)
2 GB RAM
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Do you use AMD-v? If so, disable that. There are some stability issues with that. It will be fixed in the next release, hopefully.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
ElGrunon

Post by ElGrunon »

Sasquatch wrote:Do you use AMD-v? If so, disable that. There are some stability issues with that. It will be fixed in the next release, hopefully.
Nope, it's been disabled from the start... I gave VM 512 MB of RAM, 64 MB video memory, dynamically expanding VDI, and disbabled followig: IO APIC, AMD-V and PAE

Also, tried to install Kubuntu 7.10, same thing happened. I really believe it has something to do with my graphic card/driver because every time VM starts to boot, screen goes blank, then restores itslf, I get windows yellow popup about ATI driver that successfully recovered from crash. After that screen goes blank again, system becomes unresponsive and after a minute or two BSOD apears and computer reboots...
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

Try turning off AMD-V support in the BIOS if there's such an option there.
ElGrunon

Post by ElGrunon »

sandervl wrote:Try turning off AMD-V support in the BIOS if there's such an option there.
I'm out of luck here... There is no such option in BIOS...
sandervl
Volunteer

Post by sandervl »

That's unfortunate. Is 1.6.0 the first version of VirtualBox you've tried or did you have no issues with 1.5.6?
ElGrunon

Post by ElGrunon »

Same happened with 1.5.6 on this computer... On other computer (WinXP) Kubuntu 7.10 + VB 1.5.6 worked fine...
sandervl
Volunteer

Post by sandervl »

I'll have to investigate then. Could you create a defect in the mean time (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker) and include the information there? Thanks.
Joerg78

Post by Joerg78 »

The same problem is mentioned here: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=21106

Must have to do something with the ATI card (maybe with the x1250?).
ElGrunon

Post by ElGrunon »

Yeah, this is exactly the same thing I'm talking about... I searched before starting a new topic, but I guess I have not searched enough, because I wouldn't start new one... Sorry... Anyway, no solution exists yet... I also created new bug ticket and added logs to it... HTH...
Joerg78

Post by Joerg78 »

ElGrunon wrote: I also created new bug ticket and added logs to it... HTH...
Thanks! :D
AdrianV

Post by AdrianV »

Sasquatch wrote:Do you use AMD-v? If so, disable that. There are some stability issues with that. It will be fixed in the next release, hopefully.
I disagree - I have/had the same problem. I solved it with VBox 1.5.6 and earlier by enabling the AMD-V mode. With VBox 1.6.0 I can't enable AMD-V mode, because the VM will not even start to boot (but this seems another bug). With AMD-V mode disabled the VM crashes the whole system -- BSOD.

It is an issue with the ATI and memory allocation in the page fault handler - colinux had the same problem and they solved it by:
message from Henry Nestler of the colinux newsgroup for the same problem in colinux:
Last changes on memory page fault handler fixed many of boot problems. Typically
with very fast cpu's, or dual core. Shared graphic card and more as 1GB host
memory forced the bug. (SVN r1017, r1018)
cheers, Adrian.
superdave205

Post by superdave205 »

In your Bios do you have an option for Windows Vista Direct App Launch? If so, make sure it is disabled.

I had to enable virtualization in the Bios and enable it in Virtualbox or my sessions would crash a LOT.

Vista 64 bit Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 host
Windows XP SP3 768MB with VT-x enabled
Nhu

Post by Nhu »

To add another example: I am trying to install Kubunto 7.10 on VBox 1.6.0 running on Windows Vista Business, on a HP 2400 series notebook.

I get the blue screen as well.

Before that, however, VBox gives me this message:

"The virtual machine window is optimized to work in 32 bit color mode but the color quality of the virtual display is currently set to 16 bit. Please open the display properties dialog of the guest OS and select a 32 bit color mode, if it is available..."

Maybe there is an issue in this?

I guess I'm supposed to change the color mode on the Kubunto 7.10 (the message refers to the guest), but the thing is, i'm trying to INSTALL Kubunto 7.10 (have mounted an iso image).

Any comments on this. Am I just doning things wrong, or has this to do with the same issue (some graphics problem)?

I'm NOT an expert and have just started trying out various OS's on VBox - simply out of curiosity.
ElGrunon

Post by ElGrunon »

That happened to me also, but just once... After that I upgraded display driver to newest version and then this message didn't show again. Only message I got before BSOD was about ATI display driver being successfully recovered from crash...