Known incompatibilities with 3rd party drivers on Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Technologov
Volunteer

Known incompatibilities with 3rd party drivers on Host

Post by Technologov »

Hi,

VirtualBox has known compatibility issues with certain 3rd party Windows drivers.

List:
  • Microsoft VirtualPC (workaround: run both VPC and VBox in software-virt mode, disable VT-x)
  • Microsoft Hyperv-V
  • DNS protocol problem with Vista hosts => check Shrew Soft Lightweight filter rules
  • vboxnetflt: fatal BSOD installation on Marvell Server NIC
  • VBoxNetFlt: Conflict with the Trend Micro Anti-Virus driver
  • Host crash: vboxdrv crashes, when run together with coLinux (workaround: upg coLinux to 0.7.5+)
  • decndis.sys caused the crash on one user. decndis is part of the DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) LAT protocol that we use to access the VAX (reported by Huihong Luo of VMlite)
  • COMODO internet security
  • "Atheros WiFi" as a problem, that makes host BSOD.
  • NVIDIA nForce Network Driver
  • Checkpoint VPN
  • softPerfect Firewall
  • Prio
  • Windows Phone 7 emulator
  • Shrewsoft VPN client
  • Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.
  • Online Armor firewall
  • Real Media Catcher
  • some versions of Stonesoft Ipsec VPN (link)
  • SoftPerfect Networks
Conflicts usually occur either at the hypervisor driver layer (vboxdrv) or in the network layer (VBoxNetFlt).
Workaround for all VBoxNetFlt problems: re-install vbox without network bridge, use NAT instead. VirtualBox NAT networking mode is compatible with all software.

WARNING: Installing or running VirtualBox together with 3rd party listed products above may result in instant Blue-Screen Of Death (BSOD) and host OS reboot.

Source:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6057

-Technologov
DNS
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: xp win7

Re: Known incompatibilities with 3rd party drivers

Post by DNS »

Hi, are the driver conflicts still prevalent even if I keep the security software on demand?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

I don't know. You try and give some community feedback.
scp
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 2003, 7, 8.1

Post by scp »

We have different Windows Server 2003 running, most with Broadcom Gigabit 57xx on board and SysKonnect SK-9521 V2.0 10/100/1000 Addon Card (with Marvell chip) and never got BSODs, even with VirtualBox 3.1.x, 3.2.x or 4.1.x installed.
Running VirtualBox (without VT-x) inside a Windows Server 2003 inside a Citrix XenServer 5.6 (and higher) HVM (with VT-x) also works (but makes not much sense).
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

scp: you use adv. Marvell NIC features, such as bonding, teams, VLANs, ... ?
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

In another thread that's probably too old to bump, a user said this about Hyper-V:
Just set the start-up mode of hvmount.sys to ondemand (value 3 in the registry). Please do a web search for the details.
viewtopic.php?f=6&p=178797

A Web search hasn't helped. First, I don't think hvmount.sys is even the right name, but even with the right name, does anyone have more details on this? On-demand in what sense?
scp
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 2003, 7, 8.1

Post by scp »

No I don't use any advanced features of Marvell NICs.
uraniumtiger

Post by uraniumtiger »

Hi,

I have a new used laptop with Windows Vista. I want to install AutoCAD R14 but that needs Windows XP. I downloaded Virtual Box and installed it and then tried to install Windows XP on the Virtual Box but I got an error, something about not being able to find the disk. (Also, I tried to install Windows XP directly on my computer in place of Windows Vista but I was getting blue screens and I was told by a Dell tech guy that the problem involved driver incompatibility and that it might not be so easy to fix.) So then I read this thread and it says there is a known compatibility issue with "NVIDIA nForce Network Driver" and Virtual Box. I looked in my programs directory and it says I have "NVIDIA Drivers", "NVIDIA Performance Drivers" and "NVIDIA nView desktop manager". So this sounds like it is getting complicated. Another option is for me to go out and buy a copy of Windows 7 Pro, which includes a Windows XP artificial environment option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Uraniumtiger
jayh121

Post by jayh121 »

Sorry to bump guys, but I'd like this resolved too please.

Last edited by jayh121 on 14. Sep 2012, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You would like what resolved? The OP posted a list of issues. If your issue is that you can't install drivers for hardware that isn't part of the simulation, then that will never be "resolved".
jayh121

Post by jayh121 »

Sorry mpack, I wasn't very clear about what I meant lol, but if it can't be resolved then that has answered my query.

Post by diNovoM »

Just to clarify that - do i need to deselect "VirtualBox Bridged Networking" only or all Networking Parts? EDIT: Tested it (didn't want to do x restarts/installs/uninstalls if first attempt fails, but it), was working with Bridged Networking (and Host-only is don't use it) deselected.
DougInToronto

Post by DougInToronto »

This is a reply to UraniumTiger. I'm sorry that it's 5 months after you asked your question. I've only recently discovered VirtualBox and am learning.

However, maybe this helps someone else searching for Autocad14 (Autocad 14) by Autodesk and wants to run it on Vista/Win7 as you do.

There are a few ways to manage this. The following link is the easiest explanation, although it requires downloading a few files from the link. You can avoid this if you have an existing Autocad installation on W2K or XP and can copy your own .dll files.

I've done this and had success on Win7. So perhaps this means you can return to Vista or Win7 under VirtualBox.

I have no affiliation with the guy that made the instructions at this link, I just used them (after a lot of preceding nights of fruitless efforts to make it work). Here's the link:
http://boringtrousers.com/2011/08/01/ho ... ws-7vista/
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ahem... moderator here: the last post and the link it refers to have nothing to do with VirtualBox, and this is not an Autocad support forum. I've leave that last message in place, but no more please. Use PMs for off topic chat.
Jaromir

Post by Jaromir »

Hi,

Were there any changes according to this topic ?

I have Win8 x64 and i would want to run Hyper-V AND Virtual Box.
Unfortunately i noticed that when i install Hyper-V first, VirtualBox do not recognize AMD-V virtualization features.

After i removed Hyper-V everything is working on VirtualBox.

Is there any resolution to run both hypervisors in parallel ?