vboxguest error Installing Module - non X11 box [SOLVED]

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
CoreyW
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: CentOS 6.2

vboxguest error Installing Module - non X11 box [SOLVED]

Post by CoreyW »

Hi All,

I've got the latest Windows VB with a CentOS 6.2 guest. I installed GA and everything looked okay until I rebooted. The startup hangs for an unusually long amount of time on:

vboxguest (4.1.8): Installing module.
Bad exit status: 10

I'm not running a GUI Desktop on this box, so no X11 devel, etc. I manually ran /etc/init.d/vboxadd setup and not surprisingly it failed on the building OpenGL module step.

All I really need is Shared Folders and that module seems to work and I'm happy with that. But the long delay on boot is really distracting.

Is there any way I disable this module so it is bypassed, just leaving whatever module is needed for Shared folders?

Thanks for any help and kudos for VB!
Corey.
Last edited by CoreyW on 21. Mar 2012, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: vboxguest error Installing Module - non X11 box

Post by Perryg »

Installing the guest additions on a system without X should not actually create the X11 module, thus it fails.
Usually you install the guest additions with the --nox11 tag at the end but even so it should do little more than give an error.
Purge the additions and install again with the tag and see if it helps.
Then post the /var/log/vboxadd-install.log (as an attachment)
CoreyW

Post by CoreyW »

Wasn't sure how to 'purge' the addins, but I re-mounted the Additions iso and ran the VBoxLinux run file with the --nox11 param. The build progressed, but it still failed on the OpenGL build as well as the step following.

When I rebooted - no difference. Hangs for a long time on the initialization of the vboxguest module.

I've attached the log file.

Thanks for your help.
Corey.
Attachments
vboxadd-install.zip
vboxadd-install.zip
(5.91 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You don't have dkms installed do you?

Also it will report that the openGL failed. That is normal as you don't have X.
When you say a long time, how long is it really?
You really need to purge the first install as the modules are already installed.
As su/sudo it would be yum remove <package> or yum erase <package> followed by a reboot.

You should also read this TICKET about a kernel change in Cent that triggered an issue for the guest additions. Something about needing perl installed.
CoreyW

Post by CoreyW »

Yep, dkms-2.0.17.5-1.el5.kb.noarch installed, per the docs.

The system is hung for just over 2 minutes while it's figuring this out - not insignificant. Rather a pain if you are recycling the guest a lot times for testing and development. The host machine is very beefy on processing and memory, so that shouldn't be afactor.

Which package were you referring to purge the system fresh? dkms?

I had a look at the Ticket you referred to - I had Perl and Make already.

Thanks!
Corey.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Remove the guest additions. Something must be a residual of running without the --nox11 tag. (be sure to reboot after and before you try installing again) I have 5 different text only VMs and none of them hesitates. I guess I could install CentOS in text mode too but you try this first as I am really busy at the moment.
CoreyW

Post by CoreyW »

If GA didn't come in as a yum install/rpm package (it was installed from script) how do you remove it?

Again, thanks for the responsive help!
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Put the guest additions install CD back in the virtual CD (mount it if you need to). Then open a terminal windows and access the file that ends in .run
Put uninstall at the end of that file see below:

Undocumented command:
as su/sudo
[centos@localhost VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.51_40321]$sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run uninstall

This will show the rest of the commands for future reference
[centos@localhost VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.51_40321]$ ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run --help

Note: pay no attention to my version as I work in the future.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

OK I found some time tonight to install 6.2 in text mode and install the guest additions. Below are my results.

It takes approx 1 second to get past the Guest additions in the boot sequence, with the network being the longest which is normal. Press the Esc key to be able to see what is really going on and you can also edit the boot parm to remove quiet.

As you see everything is fine with the exception of the window service which I don't have so that is expected.
CentOS-text-GA-install.png
CentOS-text-GA-install.png (14.29 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
I created a share and mounted it and here is that SS.
Cent-text-share.png
Cent-text-share.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
Note: I normally do not run anything as root but you must su to root to install kernel modules and mount drives. I will install sudo shortly but in any case you should create a normal account.
CoreyW

Post by CoreyW »

Hi Perry,

You're probably on a more recent version of GA than myself, I'm guessing?

Yeah, my delay is just before the network interfaces are started in the boot sequence. I see that your OpenGL module didn't fail like it does for me. Could that be significant? I might just install a new CentOS - maybe something got permanently scarred on the first build of GA when I didn't put in --nox11 and that couldn't be backed out...

I'll let you know what I find.

Corey.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

OpenGL only affects the X system so it shouldn't matter whether it is built or not. I went ahead and removed my GAs and installed the ones from VBox ( 4.1.8 ) and the OpenGL failed as well. Rebooted and the boot speed was the same. No lag at any one location.

When installing CentOS I selected to install the basic graphics so maybe that might be an issue although here again it shouldn't.
CoreyW

Post by CoreyW »

I rebuilt a new CentOS box from scratch and vboxguest hangs for about 3 minutes before continuing the boot - without the progress dots this time.

I obviously am missing something fundamental here since you are able to install this with no difficulty. What I changed this time was I added rpmforge as a yum repo (since dkms doesn't appear to be a part of the standard repos). Previously, I downloaded the dkms rpm manually.

# rpm -Uhv http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/rpm ... f.i386.rpm
# yum install dkms binutils gcc make patch libgomp glibc-headers glibc-devel kernel-headers kernel-devel

And then ran the build.

# cd /media/VirtualBoxGA
# ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run --nox11
# reboot

Screenshot attached of the boot.

Shared folders appear to still work as I can see the host folder I shared. dkms looks like it has an effect here. What did you run to prep the box for the GA build? Maybe that's what is screwing up for me - I'm using repos I shouldn't be...

Corey.
Attachments
centosCapture1.PNG
centosCapture1.PNG (72.98 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The loopback interface is interesting.
From the hosts terminal type VBoxManage showvminfo <VM Name> --details and post here. Replace <VM Name> with the actual name of the VM. Use " " if the name has a space in it.

I use the fedora list from Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
CoreyW

Post by CoreyW »

The boot sequence was in progress as I took that screenshot, fyi.

I had used the doc you referenced from the start to install GA's under linux. Similarly, I used the Fedora options as well, as I posted above.

How do you find 'dkms' when it isn't part of the standard CentOS repos? Did you have to add a supplimentary repo in order for yum to find it? I'm still thinking there's something amiss with the repos I'm using...

vm info attached.

Corey.
Attachments
CentOS6.2-32bit.txt
(3.11 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I didn't install dkms on this build yet. I have my own dkms package that I build in when I want/need it.

I figured that you SSed while it was taking its time, and from the looks of it trying to enable a loopback interface. That's why I wanted to see if you had installed one, but it clearly shows that you use bridged.

Code: Select all

NIC 1:           MAC: 080027208FBF, Attachment: Bridged Interface 'Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller', Cable connected: on, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0, Promisc Policy: deny
But this tells me where the problem really is. The guests network is not configured properly and it is trying to resolve the network. This is of course outside the scope of this forum, but I would look at the name of the guest and make sure that you have the domain set properly (example: localmachine.localhost). Explain how you set up your network and I will see if I can help before you go to centos for assistance.

As for the guest additions causing the issue I simply don't know how it could. at least at this point.