3.2.6 hangs OS-X 10.6.2 w/FreeBSD guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
sporker
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: FreeBSD

3.2.6 hangs OS-X 10.6.2 w/FreeBSD guest

Post by sporker »

Don't have much info, and I'm new to VB (have been running vmware, moved to VB so it's easier to share images with other users) and so far it's pretty nifty, but it's pretty reliably locking up my machine.

The guest hosts are all FreeBSD 8.1, and I'm using both "host only" and "bridged" networking. Bridged on the second adapter so I can reach the host from the local network, and the host-only interface for netbooting a few vms. Host OS is 10.6.4.

The guests that seem to trigger this the worst are running ZFS with multiple virtual drives. I doubt ZFS is the trigger, I more suspect the multiple drives are. Nothing of note in the mac's logs other than this a few hours before the last lockup:

Aug 9 18:33:39 freemac kernel[0]: aio_queue_async_request(): too many in flight for proc: 16.
Aug 9 18:48:46: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Aug 9 18:48:46 freemac kernel[0]: aio_queue_async_request(): too many in flight for proc: 16.
Aug 9 18:59:47 freemac kernel[0]: aio_queue_async_request(): too many in flight for proc: 16.

The host's performance seems to get very degraded during even some low-impact disk activity in the VM with ZFS - cpu will peg at 100% for nearly 5 minutes (not the vm process itself but "kernel_task"). The host's drive is usually not thrashing when this happens. The UI gets very sluggish and sometimes completely freezes except for the mouse.

Sorry, not much to go on there...

I should also add that I do still have VMWare installed, but I saw no warning in the install directions about removing other VM software.

Thanks!
backvan
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

Re: 3.2.6 hangs OS-X 10.6.2 w/FreeBSD guest

Post by backvan »

I have a iMac running OSX 10.6.4 with VirtualBox 3.2.6 I installed FreeBSD 8.0 and it worked right out of the box. I then poked around for the weekend getting GNOME, KDE and XFCE installed. The only issue I have with FreeBSD is there are NO Guest Additions available. I'm on a quad core i7 iMac. How are you set up? Maybe we can figure this out.
dsclatif
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by dsclatif »

I don't think this is limited to a FreeBSD guest. I have the same issue with a Windows 7 guest.
Setup:
Mac mini w/4GB ram, 10.6.5,2.26 Ghz core 2 duo
VB 3.2.10
OS Type:Windows 7
System Base Memory:2048 MB Processor(s):1
Boot Order:Floppy, CD/DVD-ROM, Hard Disk
VT-x/AMD-V:Disabled Nested Paging:Disabled
Display
Video Memory:32 MB 3D Acceleration:Disabled 2D Video Acceleration:Enabled Remote Display Server:Disabled
Storage
IDE Secondary Master (CD/DVD):Empty
Floppy Device 0:Empty
SATA Port 0:HD60.vdi (Normal, 60.69 GB)
Audio Host Driver:CoreAudio Controller:ICH AC97
Network Adapter 1:PCnet-FAST III (Bridged adapter, en0: Ethernet)
Serial Ports Disabled
USB Device Filters:0 (0 active)
Shared Folders:1

Random unresponsiveness except for mouse tracking, both host and guest, console messages:
[timestamp] kernel aio_queue_async_request(): too many in flight for proc: 16.

responsiveness returns and messages stop.
Any ideas what should be changed?
Philip
gmhax
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian 6, Windows XP

Post by gmhax »

This happened to me once on an OS X 10.6.6 host, but it crashed the guest, not the host.

In kernel.log on the OS X host:

Mar 19 19:21:45 ophelia kernel[0]: aio_queue_async_request(): too many in flight for proc: 16.
Mar 19 19:21:45 ophelia kernel[0]: aio_queue_async_request(): too many in flight for proc: 16.

Details: VirtualBox 4.0.4, guest is Debian 6.0 with one virtual disk and three raw disks connected as SATA devices in the guest and configured in a RAID 5. (Had to set up a VirtualBox guest to replace an old Linux file server.) The guest serves files from the RAID via AFP to various hosts. When I started doing some significant disk reads on the RAID via AFP, the guest crashed (partly) with a number of similar errors to what have been posted in other threads, somewhat similar to here: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 4&p=138002

I'm going to try connecting the raw disks as IDE devices and see if it happens again.

I think a whole lot of concurrent I/O may trigger it. I'd just told an MP3 autotagger to use 8 CPUs to fingerprint MP3s simultaneously, and it was reading from RAID, so... guess we'll see what happens when I try the raw disks as IDE devices.
lucasnap

Post by lucasnap »

Hi,

Did anyone solve this problem?

I have an Mac OS X Server 10.7.2 with VirtualBox 4.1.8.
The virtual machine is a Windows Server 2008.

After working for half an hour or so the bridged network just stops working. When I reset my network adapter in Windows the network connection works again.
When it stops working I see this message in the kernel.log on the Mac:

Code: Select all

kernel[0]: aio_queue_async_request(): too many in flight for proc: 16
I couldn't find anything about this in the Windows logs.
hank
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, XP

Post by hank »

funny coincidence, just had something with this message that happened with VBox 4.1.8 and OSX 10.7.3 with a Windows VM guest.
"too many in flight for proc" is the last thing showing -- middle of the night, user asleep.
When I woke up and checked, the keyboard, mouse, and screen had quit responding to input.
Had to power cycle the Mini.