Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
augustinejames
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE)

Post by augustinejames »

Hi Techies,

Recently I have installed Virtual Box on my Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8 and with Virtual Box Version 4.1.8 r75467, and i have configured Guest OS of Windows XP Professional later few days i have received a error on Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE). I read many post and I can't make success on this. Thus am expecting your kind assistance to make this success.

Please review logs too..
VirtualBox 4.1.8 r75467 darwin.x86 (Dec 19 2011 13:50:43) release log
00:00:01.981 Log opened 2012-02-01T11:41:05.666562000Z
00:00:01.981 OS Product: Darwin
00:00:01.981 OS Release: 9.8.0
00:00:01.981 OS Version: Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386
00:00:01.983 DMI Product Name: MacBookPro5,1
00:00:01.984 DMI Product Version: 1.0
00:00:01.985 Host RAM: 4096MB RAM, available: 1749MB
00:00:01.985 Executable: /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBoxVM
00:00:01.985 Process ID: 5400
00:00:01.985 Package type: DARWIN_32BITS_GENERIC
00:00:01.985 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:01.985 None installed!
00:00:01.988 pdmR3LoadR0U: pszName="VMMR0.r0" rc=VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE szErr="World writable: '/Applications'"
00:00:01.988 VMSetError: /Users/vbox/tinderbox/4.1-mac-rel/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/VM.cpp(591) int vmR3CreateU(UVM*, uint32_t, int (*)(VM*, void*), void*); rc=VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE
00:00:01.988 VMSetError: Failed to load VMMR0.r0
00:00:01.989 ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb} aComponent={Console} aText={Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE)}, preserve=false
00:00:02.045 Power up failed (vrc=VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE, rc=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005))

Advance thanks to all comrades!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE)

Post by Perryg »

Run the Repair Disk Permissions using DIsk Utility on your MAC host then it should work.
augustinejames

Post by augustinejames »

Thanks Perryg, I have done that too, but no luck. Still am facing issue.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Are you sure that you ran the *permissions* part of the utility?
The error that you are specifying is that applications is world writeable which it should not be.
augustinejames

Post by augustinejames »

I have gone to Disk Utilities and performed the 'Repair Disk Permission' and herewith i enclosed the result for your reference. Please have a look and suggest me the next.

Repairing permissions for “Augus_MacHD”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DotMacSyncHelper.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resources/dotmacsyncui.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacLegacy.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeDirectory", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeSignature", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPDisplaysReporter.spreporter/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

Permissions repair complete
Attachments
Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png (113.37 KiB) Viewed 31839 times
johnnyu

Post by johnnyu »

Installed VirtualBox-4.1.8-75467-OSX on OS 10.6.8
Have Same Failed to Load error:
Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

I'm a semi geek and this is waaay beyond me. Ran the Disc utility It would only analyze the HD. Many noted errors most related to HP/equip/software installed Could attach many logs, but, from the results seen her don't think they'll be of any use.

I'm assuming "failed to load" is a DVD or operating system error

I hope someone here can find the problem. I'm dead in the water.
Best regards
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Run the Repair Disk Permissions using DIsk Utility on your MAC host then it should work.
johnnyu

Post by johnnyu »

Which Disk should I repair. Saw several other communications where that did nothing

Thank you
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The host or MAC is where the permissions are set world writeable and more specific the folder that houses the VirtualBox program. That is what needs to be fixed.
johnnyu

Post by johnnyu »

The 3 permissions for the app file and the folder have been reset to read only-no change. Prior to the change the Administrator was set to read and write.
johnnyu

Post by johnnyu »

I fixed it??

One- when I ran Disc Utility It reported 197 pages of "incorrect settings" I thought this to be suspicious because the IMAC has been running with minimal problems. I wasn't going to to run it to make this many "corrections". Additionally, I saw no responses to this advice that said it worked.

Two- I researched Mac rumors and there was a suggestion to use the console to reset permissions. Others with the same issue verified that it worked. Being unsure of the terminology and the criticality of the command syntax, and reading different information for different OSX versions I went to the two directories affected /Applications and /Applications/VirtualBox.app and checked their permissions through finder by using COMMAND-I. I set all permissions (system, admin,and everyone to "Read only" )in both directories.

It works now!!!!!
My present OS is 10.6.8 I suspect that the last update ( allegedly a preparatary step for the installation LION) reset these permissions.

Who knows it may not work tomorrow!
johnnyu

Post by johnnyu »

Excuse me, I meant TERMINAL, not Consol.
tokaido53

Post by tokaido53 »

The Disk Repair worked perfectly for me
Permissions on Applications were: drwxrwxrwx, Disk Repair altered to: drwxrwxr-x
No more world writeable!!
nici

Post by nici »

i have this problem too, although i don't properly understand what to do.

would anyone be so kind to explain it?

i pressed the Repair disk button in disk utilities, but it said "The partition map appears to be OK"

i am lost with the rest.

i posted my problem in this forum under "virtualbox error - it won't start" (i cant post the link because i have only just become a member here).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Its "repair disk permissions", not "repair disk". Something has set permissions on a folder in such a way that VBox is blocked from access. Repairing the permissions fixes the problem.