virtualbox.org switching to single sign on

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: virtualbox.org switching to single sign on

Post by Perryg »

Well VirtualBox.org, and bugtracker have moved over mailing lists are stated to be down at the moment. I tested it just a few minutes ago and it worked just like before. I was asked one question on first logon to sync up my alias here and that was that. Bugtracker sorting is a lot faster as well.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm not so successful. I chose the login link at the top of the page, enter my SSO username and password at the dialog, that appeared to work. I was then taken to a second logon page where I thought I was being asked to enter my old nickname and old password. However the old password was rejected, even though I was pretty sure it was correct. However as you see I seem to still be logged in with my existing nickname, so I'm not sure what my status is.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I can tell you, the transfer of the forums hasn't occurred yet, else I wouldn't be able to post. Unless the browser cookie makes me able to.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The forums have not converted yet. Bugtracker, VirtualBox.org and the mailing lists have. I just tried VirtualBox.org and it still worked for me.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm finding this all rather vague and contradictory. Let's please get it spelled out explicitly :-

In order to switch to SSO, we must log in using the username and password fields at the bottom of the page? In those fields we enter our SSO username and password. We'll then get another dialog asking us for the forum nickname and forum password?

Is that it?

Is all this ready to go now?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Lets use bugtracker.
  • 1) Open Bugtracker in your browser
    2) Then at the top right click on login. This opens the OSSO sign in page for me.
    3) I fill it out and proceed.
    4) The first time I logged in it opened the preference page where I entered my VirtualBox login information.
The weird thing is when I do this for bugtracker it takes me to the VirtualBox.org page instead (so this needs to be addressed).
After I have actually logged into the OSSO I can then go to bugtracker, and VirtualBox.org without issue as long as I stayed logged on and it is the same day.
The OSSO doesn't seem to retain the logged in status more than one day. At least I have not figured out how to make it do so.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ok, I can confirm that the procedure you mention works for bugtracker. I would still like answers to my previous questions tho: is the procedure I outlined correct for the forums, and are the forums ready to rock right now. I don't want to attempt it until I know that it should work, and I won't be left in limbo.

[ Edit ] Well, I just plucked up my courage and tried it. I logged out of the forums then tried to log back in. Typing the SSO details into the forum name and password fields (at bottom of page) was rejected. Logging in with my forum nickname and password worked, as you see. So it looks like it isn't working on the forums yet, and most people should ignore the SSO message for now?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

No the forums have not been converted yet. They did the other part first and probably the easiest since it did not have to deal with the phpBB login routine.
I am really interested to see how this happens.
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by abcuser »

Perryg wrote:No the forums have not been converted yet. They did the other part first and probably the easiest since it did not have to deal with the phpBB login routine.
I can't really understand the administrators. Migrating to SSO should be in one single pass not multiples - this confuses people and if such an experienced user as mpack is having a problem, then have a Lord save the rest of us non-geeks... :shock:
Also testing should be done more in deep - if you are using virtualization software ;) this should not be such an problem. I have migrated one server where 13 software servers need to be migrated in 2 hours. I have had weeks of tests and migrated in 1.5 hour without any problem. So that is hard to understand billions $ company and having such a difficulty in migration... :roll:
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

abcuser wrote:a Lord save the rest of us non-geeks... :shock:
Hey pal - you have 500+ posts here, that officially makes you a geek too! :D
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by abcuser »

mpack wrote:Hey pal - you have 500+ posts here, that officially makes you a geek too! :D
If all of them are questions, what makes me geek then? :shock:
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

abcuser wrote:
mpack wrote:Hey pal - you have 500+ posts here, that officially makes you a geek too! :D
If all of them are questions, what makes me geek then? :shock:
If not a geek yet, with asking that many questions you are well on the way to becoming one.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Migration complete.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Yes, as of today, 3am UTC the migration should be complete. We're sorry that it took a bit longer than expected to complete. There would've been faster options, but then the result would have been that the public bug tracker, forums, mailing list and so on would have been completely assimilated by generic oracle.com services. The VirtualBox team believes that this would have had a significant impact on the VirtualBox community. So with the support from management we decided to do it the hard way, which meant adapting the applications to SSO, and the resources for that had to come from the VirtualBox team. It indirectly proves that modifying Web apps using php and python are not our strong points :)

The forum already uses the "2nd generation" SSO integration, which means that most existing users only see the different login dialog, and everything else is automatic. Only for a small minority (essentially users who have a different email address for their SSO account than they used to have in the forum) there's the need to give the desired nick name and old email address to associate the SSO account with their previous account, including email verification. This needs to be done only once. New users only need to pick a new nick name on the first login, that's all.

This less complicated solution will be retrofitted to the public bug tracker as soon as time permits.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I seem to be required to log in again multiples times in one day. I haven't yet pinned down whether its every time I close the browser. Is that a permanent feature or can it be fixed?