Error VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
neerajblr
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Solaris 10

Error VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND

Post by neerajblr »

Hi All,

I have installed Virtual Box 4.0.4 on TOP of Solaris 11 Express.
I have installed 4 Guest OS (Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5) and all of them are running fine without any issues.
I have not made IP address of Solaris to Static so when Virtual Box was installed the IP of Solaris machine was 192.168.1.4
After a few days i rebooted the solaris and now it is updated with a new IP on Solaris machine which is 192.168.1.3

Now immediately after this change Virtual box is not able to start any of the Guest OS.
below is the error:-
=================
Failed to open/create the internal network
'HostInterfaceNetworking-e1000g0 - Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet'
(VEER_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND)

Failed to attache the network LUN
(VEER_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND)

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx}

Seems to me that issue is caused due to the Dynamic IP address.

I need help on 2 topics now :-
1) How to resolce this error in case if i conti. with Dynamic IP for Solaris OS which is the base OS for me as IP may get change next time too?
2) How to move from Dynamic IP to Static IP?

Appreciate the help in advance.
Thanks
Neeraj
neerajblr

Re: Error VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND

Post by neerajblr »

I think i got an answer.
I did the below steps:-
===================
On Solaris OS (as this is my base OS where VirtualBox is Installed):-
Login as root.
rem_drv vboxflt
add_drv vboxflt
Start the VirtualBox.

It should solve the issue.

I still need to know the steps to make my Dynamic IP to Static IP.
Kindly assist.
Thanks
neerajblr

Post by neerajblr »

This error is coming again on VirtualBox 4.0.6

When it was coming on 4.0.4 i did the above mentioend steps and it resolved.
But the effect of that was to re-assign the IP to my Guest OS.

I removed VirtualBox 4.0.4 and installed 4.0.6 with 4.0.6 extension pack

I observerd that when i bring down my Solaris OS 11 express and restarts it, VM gets the error.
Kindly suggest the appropriate solution or see if its a kind of BUG.

Thanks
Neeraj
budy
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: MacOS, Linux

Post by budy »

Hi,

I can't comment on your VBox network issue, regarding DHCP/NAT, but since your solaris host seems to run as a server anyway, setting up static IP is recommended anyway.

There're several ways to accomplish this task, mainly depending on whether you have Gnome installed or live with the plain text installation.
If you're familiar with Gnome, you can simply install the GUI on top of the text install by issueing the follwoing command:

pkg install slim_install

I also have a turotial for doing this in the terminal/console, if that'd fit you better.

Cheers,
budy
neerajblr

Post by neerajblr »

Thanks for the reply ... good to see someone replied.
I am running Solaris11 express with Static IP. (I configured it and than installed Virtual Box 4.0.6 with ext. pack.)

All of the guest OS are running in Bridge Networking.
Kindly suggest. I know the solution i porivded above workes fine but i do not want to use as it changes the IP settings of my Guest OS.
Thanks
budy

Post by budy »

neerajblr wrote:Thanks for the reply ... good to see someone replied.
I am running Solaris11 express with Static IP. (I configured it and than installed Virtual Box 4.0.6 with ext. pack.)

All of the guest OS are running in Bridge Networking.
Kindly suggest. I know the solution i porivded above workes fine but i do not want to use as it changes the IP settings of my Guest OS.
Thanks
Hmm… I am running VirtualBox 4.0.6/w ext.pack on a Solaris 11 Express host as well,which is also set to use static IPs. My guests are also running in bridged mode and they don't show any sign of anomalies - regarding their IP settings - when I restart the Solaris host. What I don't understand is, how your guest's IPs would change upon reboot of the Solaris host.

I can't see how the Solaris OS should be able to access any of your guest's IP settings, anyway. Are you sure, the interfaces of your guests are set to bridged and that the IP config inside your guests is also set to static? and not DHCP.

Cheers,
budy
neerajblr

Post by neerajblr »

I think there is a little confision here !!! let me make it clarify again since you are taking interest in the issue.

I have Base OS as Solaris11 Express
Earlier (a month back Solaris was running on Dynamic IP and all Guest OS were running over that Solaris OS) and now Soalris is running with Static IP and its configured correctly.
On Top of that i have Installed Oracle VirtualBox 4.0.6 with 4.0.6 ext. pack
I have got 4 Guest OS all are OEL5.5 with Static IP's.

Whenever i reboot my Solaris i face the below errors:-
VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND
which is inturn related to network card or something so.

To overcome that error i found that below commands when fired from Solaris OS works fine and i am able to start my Guest OS:-
Login as root.
rem_drv vboxflt
add_drv vboxflt

Note:-
The above commands reset my IP's of Guest OS once i start the Guest OS.
My Observation says that it takes backup of the existing eth0 in name eth0.bkp and disables it and create a new eth0 without Static IP (Now Dynamic IP is in force).
It happens with all the Guest OS's so far installed.

I tried changing the MacAddress of the Guest OS on VirtualBox GUI screen but it also does'nt helps.

Hope this clarifies the issue i am facing and helps me to get rid of it (Get the root cause).
Thanks
budy

Post by budy »

neerajblr wrote:I think there is a little confision here !!! let me make it clarify again since you are taking interest in the issue.

I have Base OS as Solaris11 Express
Earlier (a month back Solaris was running on Dynamic IP and all Guest OS were running over that Solaris OS) and now Soalris is running with Static IP and its configured correctly.
On Top of that i have Installed Oracle VirtualBox 4.0.6 with 4.0.6 ext. pack
I have got 4 Guest OS all are OEL5.5 with Static IP's.
Well, that's actually my base setup as well - I do have Solaris 11 Expr installed on a MacPro and it has been configured with static IP from the beginning - but that's about it that should be different and I think that this can't be the issue anyway. Also, I am using the 2nd NIC for VirtualBox.
neerajblr wrote:Whenever i reboot my Solaris i face the below errors:-
VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND
which is inturn related to network card or something so.
You are getting this error, when Solaris starts up - in the console? Or do you get this error when you start up your guests? If you're getting this error when Solaris itself starts up, that it probably hasn't anything to do with VBox at all.

Cheers,
budy
neerajblr

Post by neerajblr »

I do get this error when i try to start Guest OS.
I found one more hit which also works as rem_drv and add_drv works but it does not reset the IP of the Guest OS.
update_drv vboxflt
Above command seems to do something and after that i am able to boot up the OS but i have to do it after every reboot of Solaris OS.
Thanks
budy

Post by budy »

Just out of curiosity - have you tried to setup a new VM and try it with that one? Maybe the new guest doesn't expose this odd behaviour.

Cheers,
budy
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

This error should never happen if the boot-archive was updated after installing VBox (which the installer does as the very final step, unless it has errors while installing). When Solaris boots up, the filter driver would be loaded and wouldn't be unloaded from memory. If for some reason it is, then you will get this error because the host support driver tries to contact it and can't find it loaded, it throws this error.
Oracle Corp.
gu99roax
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 10
Guest OSses: Win XP x64, Win7 x64, Win Server 2008 x64

Post by gu99roax »

I have recently installed OpenIndiana b151a and VirtualBox 3.2.14. I have run a virtual machine a couple of times and had power cycles between these runs. Today, when I tried to start the virtual machine I had this error which I never had before, and I resolved it with the rem_drv/add_drv vboxflt commands as a superuser.

The virtual machine uses bridged networking mode and the NIC is set up to always get the same IP even though it is set up with nwam, and at the event of this failure I verified that the IP wasn't different from what it used to be.
pabloc
Primary OS: Solaris
Guest OSses: FreeBSD

Post by pabloc »

Dear Sirs,

Because I'm a newbie with VirtualBox on a Solaris 10 host (my day-to-day host platform is FreeBSD with VBox), I've installed VBox v4.1.8 with COSvboxsvc 0.14 SMF scripts. (currently the host platform is a Solaris 8/11 U10 release). Unfortunately I'm facing the same problem with vboxflt kernel module.

Everything works fine until I do a reboot or a system shutdown. 'vboxflt' kernel module doesn't load after the 3rd reboot.

(the guest OS is a FreeBSD 7.4 release fresh installation)

After digging some forums, my problem was fixed temporarily with rem_drv/add_drv/update_drv commands, but comes again to life after my 3rd reboot.

However, I've tried to start the host OS (in order to load modules) with VBox services disabled, taking the following module info:

After first boot:

[root@labosolaris /]# modinfo|grep box
159 fffffffff7aa4548 d48 265 1 vboxnet (VirtualBox NetAdp 4.1.8r75467)
160 fffffffff7f20000 2e3b0 264 1 vboxdrv (VirtualBox HostDrv 4.1.8r75467)
200 fffffffffbb8f420 7960 266 1 vboxflt (VirtualBox NetDrv 4.1.8r75467)
200 fffffffffbb8f420 7960 - 1 vboxflt (VirtualBox NetMod 4.1.8r75467)

The 3rd boot shows this:

[root@labosolaris /]# modinfo|grep box
159 fffffffff7aa4548 d48 265 1 vboxnet (VirtualBox NetAdp 4.1.8r75467)
160 fffffffff7f20000 2e3b0 264 1 vboxdrv (VirtualBox HostDrv 4.1.8r75467)

Enabling again the vbox services, shows the following error:

[root@labosolaris /]# tail -f /var/svc/log/site-xvm-vbox\:FreeBSD.log
[ Jan 7 19:11:25 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/vbox.sh start") ]

INFO: trying to start VM 'FreeBSD'...
INFO: Sat Jan 7 22:11:27 UTC 2012: VM FreeBSD is in state poweroff, trying to start...
INFO: Normal RUN: VBoxManage...
VBoxManage: error: Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-iprb0 - Intel 82557/58/59 Ethernet' (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).
VBoxManage: error: Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component Console, interface IConsole, callee
Waiting for VM "FreeBSD" to power on...
[ Jan 7 19:11:27 Method "start" exited with status 0 ]

Just in case, the command line (when vboxflt was loaded properly) is:

/opt/VirtualBox/amd64/VBoxHeadless --comment FreeBSD --startvm 042a1319-9bee-4aaf-8991-2df5be23857a --vrde config

Any clues will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance.
Pablo Carboni.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

pabloc wrote:Dear Sirs,

Because I'm a newbie with VirtualBox on a Solaris 10 host (my day-to-day host platform is FreeBSD with VBox), I've installed VBox v4.1.8 with COSvboxsvc 0.14 SMF scripts. (currently the host platform is a Solaris 8/11 U10 release). Unfortunately I'm facing the same problem with vboxflt kernel module.
What is the COSvboxsvc service?
Oracle Corp.
pabloc
Primary OS: Solaris
Guest OSses: FreeBSD

Post by pabloc »

Hi Ramshankar, (first at all, thank you for replying)

I'm so sorry, I've made a mistake: that's the name for the package, which is a SMF script written by Alexandre Dumont and this version was enhanced by Jim Klimov (there's a subject/thread inside this forum about the SMF script for Virtualbox on Solaris hosts).

I've put the script running on my Solaris lab (testing) box, just to make things easier for me - I think it has nothing to do with my problem. Why? because the same issue happened with vboxheadless and Virtualbox front-end, previous to the script installation.

If you need any info /specific data / specific tests from my box, just ask me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Pablo Carboni.