Lenovo T420 and Linux Mint guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
frankh

Lenovo T420 and Linux Mint guest

Post by frankh »

Host: Windows7 Pro
Guest: Linux Mint (Ubuntu) 12

Problem:
I cannot seem to get any wireless interface in the Linux guest system.

The VirtualBox properties lists the following network interfaces:

PCnet-PCI II (Am79C970A)
PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)
Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)
Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)
Paravirtualized Network (virtio-net)

Afaik, none of these are the wireless interface. Or am I wrong? I would expect the latest Ubuntu to find the wireless adapter automatically, but it doesn't. Anyone got any hints/tips, possibly specific to this system?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Re: Lenovo T420 and Linux Mint guest

Post by stefan.becker »

Read the FAQ. You have to learn what a VM is (and here: not is).
jsteiner
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by jsteiner »

You need to think about VM's a bit differently than real physical hardware. The guest will never know about wireless on the host because it not presented to the the guest. It's not needed. Use one of the host network cards provided that is supported by your guest. The guest will see it and use it even if on the host side it is a wireless adapter.
frankh

Post by frankh »

Thanks for the reply. You're right, of course - I don't know what I was thinking.

However:

I enable one of the available adapters in the settings for the Ubuntu host, select NAT and "cable connected". But when I boot up the guest (Ubuntu) system, the network manager tries unsuccessfully to connect, and ends up without a connection. I seem to remember this working very flawlessly the last 10 times I tried it. However, that was usually a Linux host and Linux or windows guest(s).

Update: Never mind. I tried one of the other adapters, and it eventually worked. Thanks for the help :-)