Mouse pointer issues

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
OGDeadHead
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7

Mouse pointer issues

Post by OGDeadHead »

Hi all, here's my scenario:

Host: Win 7 Professional 64 bit
Guest: Windows XP Pro 32 bit

I'm trying to play the game Minecraft on the guest os. Game launches fine, and I can move around with the keyboard. However, when using the mouse to look around, the movements are way off, mostly I just look around in circles no matter which direction I'm trying to look.

I then tried to attach a second mouse, and activate the USB-filter for that mouse. Now when I play Minecraft, the mouse movements are correct, but instead the mouse pointer disappears. I can get the mouse pointer to show up in Windows by enabling mouse trails, but mouse pointer is still not showing up in the game.

So to sum it up:

1. By using the "regular" mouse everything works except moving around in Minecraft.
2. By using a secondary mouse and applying the usb filter, the mouse pointer disappears, but moving around in Minecraft works perfectly.

Anyone got any tips on how to solve this? I would prefer to be able to solve this by getting the secondary mouse to work, since the main reason I want this to work is to let my kids play games on the guest os on a secondary monitor (with secondary mouse & keyboard), while I can continue to work on the host os.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Mouse pointer issues

Post by Sasquatch »

Disable Mouse Integration. Then you can play just fine. I have the same if I try to play Unreal Tournament classic in a VM when it's enabled. Looking around and aiming sucks until it's disabled.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
OGDeadHead

Post by OGDeadHead »

Sasquatch wrote:Disable Mouse Integration. Then you can play just fine. I have the same if I try to play Unreal Tournament classic in a VM when it's enabled. Looking around and aiming sucks until it's disabled.
I've read about disabling mouse integration before, but I can't quite find how to do this?
OGDeadHead

Post by OGDeadHead »

Oh, just found it, will try it out to see how it works, ty.
OGDeadHead

Post by OGDeadHead »

Unfortunately, some issues still remains when disabling mouse integration. The mouse pointer disappears in game, just like #2 in my first post. I guess this may be related to this specific game. I also get some other issues when I disable mouse integration, like it seems i can't always move the mouse all over the screen. Ah well, I hope there may come a fix for this at some point.
OGDeadHead

Post by OGDeadHead »

Another followup post, sorry for 'spamming' my own thread. As I said earlier, I would prefer to use a secondary mouse for this, but then I don't get the mouse pointer to show. I sorted that out by dropping hardware acceleration down one notch in XP, so now I actually get the pointer to show up on the desktop. However, the pointer still won't show up ingame.

I should perhaps mention that I can play games like Quake 2 without any issues with the secondary mouse, but then again in Q2 you don't have a pointer to move around.
DarkDemon

Post by DarkDemon »

Hey OGDeadHead,

I would like to know exactly how you got Minecraft to work in VB. When i start the game i can get to the login screen but when i click login i simply get a black screen inside the borders of the game and nothing happens.
I would appreciate any help. What programs do you need to install? I already installed Java. But i do not know if anything else is specifically needed?
twipley
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by twipley »

OGDeadHead wrote:the pointer still won't show up ingame.
OGDeadHead wrote:Ah well, I hope there may come a fix for this at some point.
Related post: viewtopic.php?p=247912#p247912
Related bug ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11468 (post here with system information if the problem is experienced on your side, too).
KidGoldenArms

Post by KidGoldenArms »

There is a workaround for Minecraft mouse issues in VirtualBox here posted in Minecraft Forums. It won't let me paste the link. Google for Coremod and Minecraft and VirtualBox and it should be one of the top results.

There's a small bit of work though because you'll need to install Minecraft Forge.

Tested on VirtualBox 4.2.6, Windows 7 host, Xubuntu 12.04 guest.