How do i completely uninstall VirtualBox?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tupelo3
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: ?

How do i completely uninstall VirtualBox?

Post by tupelo3 »

It keeps asking me for my password? And i have no idea what that means.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: How do i completely uninstall VirtualBox?

Post by Perryg »

You must be talking about the registration screen.
File it out and submit it as new since you do not already have a password. After 3 or 4 time it should go away by itself.
If this is not what you are seeing I am at a loss. VirtualBox does not require a password to start and run with the exception of the registration screen.

To uninstall you simply run the install again and this time tell it to uninstall.
tupelo3

Post by tupelo3 »

Perryg wrote:You must be talking about the registration screen.
File it out and submit it as new since you do not already have a password. After 3 or 4 time it should go away by itself.
If this is not what you are seeing I am at a loss. VirtualBox does not require a password to start and run with the exception of the registration screen.

To uninstall you simply run the install again and this time tell it to uninstall.
Two issues:

1. When i uninstall it asks me do you want to uninstall? (yes/no?) and then..... it says, "please enter your password". I have no idea what its talking about and then it says uninstall failed..... after three times of trying to enter password that isnt accepted cause it doesnt exist.

2. After uninstall, ive read in other places and from your posts re: upgrading that the hard disks and other information is still maintained on the computer. Id like to delete that also. Can you assist?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I would love to but I do not have a MAC at my disposal at the moment.
Search your drive for virtualbox. It should be all in that folder with the sub-folders holding the VDIs and machine information.
tupelo3

Post by tupelo3 »

Perryg wrote:I would love to but I do not have a MAC at my disposal at the moment.
Search your drive for virtualbox. It should be all in that folder with the sub-folders holding the VDIs and machine information.
It finally worked.... and i appreciate your help very much. Apparently, you can not boot windows from a remote disc onto the Air..... i wish i could run VBox..... but until i can find a way to get windows booted, im not going to be able to. In any case, thanks again. I appreciate your time.
ex2bot
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by ex2bot »

I know this is an old thread. But the since the question wasn't answered, I thought I'd take a stab at it. Tupelo3 wanted to know how to uninstall VirtualBox on Mac OS X.

tupelo3 writes:
>Two issues:

>1. When i uninstall it asks me do you want to uninstall? (yes/no?) and then..... it says, "please enter your password". I have no idea what its talking >about and then it says uninstall failed..... after three times of trying to enter password that isnt accepted cause it doesnt exist.

The uninstall icon that you double-clicked is a shell script. The shell (BASH) is asking for an administrator's password. Typically your user's password will work on your Mac as long as it is an administrator account. Type in your password for the machine. For example, on my Mac my username is EX2BOT and my password is #??!!!#(#$ (thought I'd tell you, huh?).

> 2. After uninstall, ive read in other places and from your posts re: upgrading that the hard disks and other information is still maintained on the > computer. Id like to delete that also. Can you assist?

It looks like the VM disk images are located in the Home directory (that's ~ for you UNIX heads). To delete the VirtualBox hard disk images:

A. Click the Finder guy (the smiling guy on the Dock).
B. Click The "Go" menu at the top of the screen and click "Home" on the menu that pops down (or simply press Command-H).
C. Drag the "VirtualBox VMs" folder (or whatever it's called) to the trash.

Bot