selected virtual machine is inaccessible

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kbhat321
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: linux mint

selected virtual machine is inaccessible

Post by kbhat321 »

I have been running virtual box on my computer for a while and one time my whole computer shut down randomly. Now, I can't get on my virtual machine. I get this error message. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Runtime error opening 'C:\Users\Kieran\VirtualBox VMs\Linux Mint\Linux Mint.vbox' for reading: -102 (File not found.).

E:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\Main\src-server\MachineImpl.cpp[685] (Machine::registeredInit).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBox
Interface: IVirtualBox {c28be65f-1a8f-43b4-81f1-eb60cb516e66}
thanks a bunch
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: selected virtual machine is inaccessible

Post by mpack »

First, shut down VirtualBox completely.

Now, if you look in the VM folder (where the .vbox file is supposed to be) you will probably see a .vbox-tmp or .vbox-new file instead. If either of these exists, then rename the extension to .vbox. If and only if neither of those files exists, there should be a .vbox-prev file in the same folder which you can again change to .vbox.
kbhat321

Post by kbhat321 »

thanks a bunch
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Meaning, that fixed it?
kbhat321

Post by kbhat321 »

yep, thanks
Young_RM

Post by Young_RM »

Thanks much!
Lavanya

Post by Lavanya »

Thanks a lot. when ever I encounter such situation, I use to create a new VM and again install all the softwares for my project.

This saved lot of time!!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Lavanya wrote:Thanks a lot. when ever I encounter such situation, I use to create a new VM and again install all the softwares for my project.
Well, that is almost never necessary, even if the fix above didn't work.

If you still have the disk part of the VM (i.e. the VDI) then it's always possible to create a new VM around it. Create the VM as normal and then when you get to the disk creation step, choose "use existing". One tip: move the VDI into the newly created VM folder before selecting it in the new VM. That ensures that all VM files are in one neat folder, which is what forum users will tend to assume when answering your questions.

And I might add that a good regular backup of the VM folder is the best guarantee.
bray

Post by bray »

mpack wrote:First, shut down VirtualBox completely.

Now, if you look in the VM folder (where the .vbox file is supposed to be) you will probably see a .vbox-tmp or .vbox-new file instead. If either of these exists, then rename the extension to .vbox. If and only if neither of those files exists, there should be a .vbox-prev file in the same folder which you can again change to .vbox.
If i look at the place where .vbox is supposed to stay, i see Logs, MacOS.vbox, MacOS.vdi and MacOS.vbox-prev . Icannot rename the MacOS.vbox-prev, because it will look like the other one. So what can i do
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bray wrote:If i look at the place where .vbox is supposed to stay, i see ... MacOS.vbox
So, what's the problem? The post that you quoted was about a missing .vbox file, not for an existing one.

What are you trying to do? ZIP and post that .vbox file. I was ready to lock this thread because it's way too old, but if there's a need to I will split your post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JoseManuelLasJim

Post by JoseManuelLasJim »

mpack wrote:First, shut down VirtualBox completely.

It worked thanks a lot mpack!