Help with, "Your Direct X driver is corrupt or incorrect"

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
bamim2
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7 Pro 32-bit, WinXP, Ubuntu 10, Win2003, BSD, Win7Pro, Win2008, Win2003, Solaris 10

Help with, "Your Direct X driver is corrupt or incorrect"

Post by bamim2 »

I'm trying to get Aero to work on my Windows 7 Pro 32-bit guest. I've updated to the latest & greatest version of VB, installed the Extensions & am installing the Guest Additions. I've chosen 3d & then "NO" when it asks me if I want to install 3d instead of the WDDM driver. In theory, that should allow me to install the WDDM driver, but I keep getting the error message something like, "Your Direct X driver is corrupt or incorrect. The installation cannot continue. For more information please check the VB manual" I think it adds something like "You bonehead" after that. OK. The last part is just me. But does anyone know what I need to do to fix this, so I can FINALLY install the WDDM driver & get Aero to work on my Windows 7 guest?
Last edited by bamim2 on 22. Dec 2011, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Help with, "Your Direct X driver is corrupt of incorrect

Post by Perryg »

Sounds like you have installed the 3D drivers in safe mode at one time or another. You would need to start the guest in safe mode and remove the guest additions and reboot. Then try to install the wddm driver (in normal mode).
bamim2
Guest OSses: Win7 Pro 32-bit, WinXP, Ubuntu 10, Win2003, BSD, Win7Pro, Win2008, Win2003, Solaris 10

Re: Help with, "Your Direct X driver is corrupt or incorrect

Post by bamim2 »

Thank you. That fixed that problem, but I still can't get Aero to work. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit as my host & Aero works fine there. Any suggestions?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Depends on the host graphics adapter. Make sure you have the latest drivers for it and forget the test in Windows. It does not work most of the time with the wddm drivers from VirtualBox. Just switch the theme to aero and see if it works.
bamim2

Post by bamim2 »

Isn't THE video driver the WDDM driver? or can I install a "regular" video driver in the guest?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Depends on the host graphics adapter. Make sure you have the latest drivers on the host.

The wddm drivers in the guest additions is a hook to the *hosts* graphics adapter. You can not install the hosts drivers in the guest as it will not see the hosts graphics card.
bamim2

Post by bamim2 »

That's what I thought. So, if I go into Device Manager & I see the WDDM driver in there, then I have the most current driver I can have for the guest, correct?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

No you need to find out the model of your video card on the host and then go to the website of the maker of your card and download/install the latest drivers on the host.
dietyyli
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: windows 7

Post by dietyyli »

I'm getting "The setup detected a corrupt/invalid DirextX installation." And yes I have at some point installed 3d drivers in safe mode. I have uninstalled guest additions but keep getting the error when I try to reinstall. If I continue anyway windows guest wont boot (except in safe mode).
Any advice how to fix this?

Host: Fedora 15
Guest: Windows 7
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

@dietyyli
Did you uninstall the guest additions in safe mode?
procyon777
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.10 linux

Post by procyon777 »

I have same problems with "dietyyli". I have Windows XP 32bit as a host OS, and installed Windows 7 64bit as a guest OS. Everything (including AERO) was working fine with VB 4.1.6, but I got the "Your Direct X driver is corrupt or incorrect" problem when I upgraded into VB 4.1.8 yesterday. I uninstalled all guest editions in safe mode and reinstalled it in safe mode as well, but it didn't work. The weird thing I noticed is that "the checkbox" for enabling 3D acceleration is deactivated in the VM settings. I can not change any settings for 3D acceleration with VM 4.1.8. 2D acceleration setting is fine. I also have Ubuntu 10.10 VM, and "the checkbox" for 3D acceleration is deactivated for Ubuntu too. It may be a systematic bug of VM 4.1.8 itself, not guest OSes.

Finally reinstalling the VB 4.1.6 solved the problem. Now everything works like a charm with VB 4.1.6.

I have AMD Radeon HD 5750 as a main graphic card, and the latest version (11.12) of AMD Calatyst was installed. My CPU is AMD phenom II x4 965... Thanks a lot!

- SJ
dietyyli
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: windows 7

Post by dietyyli »

After re-enabling 3d support in settings and then installing guest additions (but not installing 3d drivers) it seems to work.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I think this might help those with this issue.
• Guest Additions of version 4.1, 4.1.2 and 4.1.4 for Windows Thus VirtualBox WDDM

Video driver may be installed and kept in guest system if Guest additions uninstallation is performed. This is caused by a bug in Guest Additions uninstaller.

To solve this problem, one should uninstall the VirtualBox WDDM Video driver manually. To do that open Device Manager, and check whether the Display Adapter is named “VirtualBox Graphics Adapter ..“. If no - there is nothing to be done. If yes - right-click the VirtualBox Graphics Adapter in Device Manager, select “Uninstall”, check “Delete the driver software for this device” and click “OK”. Once uninstallation is done - in Device Manager go
to menu “Action” and select “Scan for hardware changes” to make the proper (Windows default) driver be picked up for the Graphics adapter.
You also need to read 12.3.10 Restoring d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll in your VirtualBox users guide if you have installed the 3D drivers in safe mode for the procedure to restore the original d3d drivers
wilbur.harvey
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows10

Post by wilbur.harvey »

Boy this is really a pain in the rear.

I have a Windows7 install, that has been around for about a year, through all the revisions of VBox during that time.
The 3D options I have installed/uninstalled several time, mostly using safe mode.

I get the following error:

The setup detected a corrupt/invalid DirectX installation and cannot continue.

I have tried everything on this forum and in the documentation, including replacing d3d8/9.dll (very laborious).
Uninstalling in safe mode (will not remove the corrupt Direct3D)
Uninstalling in nomal mode
Replaced the d3d8/9.dll files
Installing the Microsoft DirectX, which doesn't complain.
Trying with the 3D feature enabled and disabled.

I still get this error.
jsteiner
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by jsteiner »

Same thing here. I upgraded from 4.1.6 to 4.1.8 with the 4.1.8 extension pack. My Windows 7 wddm guest addition install fails with the corrupt direct X error mentioned here. However the aborted install keeps the existing 4.1.6 driver in place. So my Windows 7 guests remain fully Aero functional using the 4.1.6 wddm drivers and additions. I also got stuck in fallback Gnome on Fedora 16 guests with 4.1.8 guest additions. Mint, Ubuntu and CentOS are ok with 4.1.8 additions. So for now no more guest editions upgrades. I'll be sticking with the 4.1.8 host and 4.1.6 guests until the next release. I consider it a gotcha of trying the newest releases. As mentioned in this thread my W7 guest were 3d safe mode installed with the 3d drivers before I tried the wddm driver a few releases ago. I never had an issue with wddm prior to 4.1.8 even though 3d safe mode was installed in earlier releases. No complaining here at all. These are simply my observations. I can post logs and settings if anyone thinks they maybe useful.