Cannot switch to 1028x768 with this build of vbox

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
cytan299

Cannot switch to 1028x768 with this build of vbox

Post by cytan299 »

Hi,

I'm having a lot of problems with this latest version of vbox 1.56 build 9.
Previous versions have had no problems switching to 1024x768. However, I cannot switch to 1024x768 using either the SDL or Qt version I get the following error:

VirtualBox Simple SDL GUI built Apr 8 2008 06:48:22

!!Assertion Failed!!
Expression: f
Location : U:/dev/virtualbox/vbox/src/VBox/Frontends/VBoxBFE/DisplayImpl.cpp(13
3) int VMDisplay::handleDisplayResize(int, int)
I'm actually stuck at 720x400 which is ridiculous. I also cannot switch to 800x600! The previous versions of vbox/2 did not have such a problem.

I have tried reinstalling the guest additions (version 1.5.6_28241) but the problem remains.
I have also tried reinstalling Fedora from scratch again and then guest additions. Same problem.

I am running Fedora 8 as guest. Any help appreciated.

cytan

The guest additions I am using is:
David McKenna

Post by David McKenna »

Hmmm... I have Fedora 8 installed with the same extensions and no problems with the video. Try increasing the video memory for the virtual machine and see if that helps (I set it to 32MB).

Dave McKenna
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

David McKenna wrote:Hmmm... I have Fedora 8 installed with the same extensions and no problems with the video. Try increasing the video memory for the virtual machine and see if that helps (I set it to 32MB).

Dave McKenna
Thanks for the pointer, which unfortunately did not work. What I did was delete the machine settings, i.e. the stuff in Machines/ directory with the virtualbox GUI and re-entered the settings again to create a new virtual machine. Then booting the machine did give me back 1024x768.

This is very weird, because the next reboot gave me back 720x400 again. I deleted the machine settings again and recreated the virtual machine again and I got back 1024x768.

I wonder if it's my machine or there's some problem with vbox. I don't think I have a file corruption problem because chkdsk did not find anything and everything else seems to work fine.

cytan
David McKenna

Post by David McKenna »

Yes, that is weird. How did you install Fedora? Was it converted from vhd? See the topic 'Convert VPC to VBox' - I had some weird video problems when I converted a VPC Windows installation to VBox....

Dave McKenna
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

David McKenna wrote:Yes, that is weird. How did you install Fedora? Was it converted from vhd? See the topic 'Convert VPC to VBox' - I had some weird video problems when I converted a VPC Windows installation to VBox....

Dave McKenna
I installed it using vditools. More weirdness is why the SDL version also exhibited the same behaviour?

I did not include this observation in my previous post when going to 1024x768 failed:

When rebooting Fedora, the first time the GUI appears (i.e. before the login window) it is at 1024x768. Then fedora goes to console mode which is in text mode. And then Fedora goes to GUI mode again to show the login window but this time, it goes to 720x400 mode.

I've made a backup copy of the vdi file which I know can go to 1024x768. The next time it fails, I'll copy it over and see whether it's a corrupted vdi file.

cytan
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

David McKenna wrote:Yes, that is weird. How did you install Fedora? Was it converted from vhd? See the topic 'Convert VPC to VBox' - I had some weird video problems when I converted a VPC Windows installation to VBox....

Dave McKenna
I installed it using vditools. More weirdness is why the SDL version also exhibited the same behaviour?

I did not include this observation in my previous post when going to 1024x768 failed:

When rebooting Fedora, the first time the GUI appears (i.e. before the login window) it is at 1024x768. Then fedora goes to console mode which is in text mode. And then Fedora goes to GUI mode again to show the login window but this time, it goes to 720x400 mode.

I've made a backup copy of the vdi file which I know can go to 1024x768. The next time it fails, I'll copy it over and see whether it's a corrupted vdi file.

cytan
David McKenna

Post by David McKenna »

Cytan,

The only other thing I can think of is... check your xorg.conf file and make sure the 'Modes' line under the 'Display' subsection of the 'Screen' section contains "1024x768" along with other resolutions. This was added automatically by my install... strange if yours does not have it...

Dave McKenna
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

David McKenna wrote:Cytan,

The only other thing I can think of is... check your xorg.conf file and make sure the 'Modes' line under the 'Display' subsection of the 'Screen' section contains "1024x768" along with other resolutions. This was added automatically by my install... strange if yours does not have it...

Dave McKenna
I'm away from the computer which has vbox2 installed. I'll get back to it next week.

cytan
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

David McKenna wrote:Cytan,

Dave McKenna
I think I've reconfirmed the problem. Today, after installing Fedora fixes, I did a reboot of Fedora and VBOX/2 couldn't switch to 1024x768. After deleting the virtual machine and then setting it up again, VBOX/2 could switch to 1024x768. My guess is that there must be some corruption when it writes to its config file.

cytan