Need help converting a filesystem image to .vdi

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
electricchild

Need help converting a filesystem image to .vdi

Post by electricchild »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, when converting a filesystem image to .vdi format using "VBoxManage convertdd", is there a way to make the resulting Virtual Disk a size that you want, and not the size of the filesystem image?

The reason I ask this is because if the Virtual Disk is only the size of the filesystem image and no more, then I can't really add additional applications to the system that was booted off the mounted .vdi file since all the space is taken up.

VirtualBox experts please help me out! Thanks so much!
electricchild

Post by electricchild »

Maybe I should restate my question better. When converting anything to a .vdi, how can I specify the size of that .vdi file?
JohnG
Volunteer

Post by JohnG »

One option would be: after the conversion, use disk imaging software (such as Ghost) to transfer the converted vdi image to a new blank vdi of the desired size.
electricchild

Post by electricchild »

John, thank you for the response. Are you referring specifically to something like Argentum Backup?
JohnG
Volunteer

Post by JohnG »

> something like Argentum Backup?

Possibly, I'm not familiar with that product. Someone else has mentioned Acronis TrueImage in these forums.

Does Argentum let you adjust the partition size during the restore process? This would be key - if you can't adjust partition size, you'll be stuck again. It's been awhile since I've done this, but I don't believe a dynamic vdi helps in this situation.

John