How to change resolution

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
kurkura

How to change resolution

Post by kurkura »

When installing opensuse under VB I had a crt type of monitor and had 1024x768 resolution set. Recently, I have bought a new LCD monitor and now I'm working under 1280x1024 resolution. and my suse works with 1024x768. My questions is as follows:
how to change the resolution in VB so that I had the desktop on full screen. At present I have black stripes on both sides (left right na at the bottom nad top of my screen)
thx for your help
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

If you have installed the GA, then it should automatically change. Check your xorg.conf file if you use the vboxvideo driver and if you have the correct resolutions in it. You might need to use the vboxmanage command on the Host to add the resolution to the VM. Something like 'vboxmanage setextradata "suse" resolution 1280 1024'. I don't know the exact context, read the manual for that.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
kurkura

Post by kurkura »

thx
I went through the manul and need to instal addons. But another problem appeared namely the size of my partition. In order to install addons I need to instal kernel-sources but I'm run of free space and don't know how to resize my partition to have more space.
thx
donec

Post by donec »

I don't know anything about opensuse but to get Linux Mint and SimplyMEPIS to work with the new resolutions I wanted I installed Guest Additions and then edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Then when I rebooted I had the resolution I wanted. Hope this helps.
Don
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

If you need the kernel source and ran out of disk space, you need to reinstall the guest with a new, larger hard disk. It is possible to clone the disk using an imaging program, but if you use UUIDs in your fstab, those will change, causing an improper boot. Look more into this matter and you will find the right solution.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

kurkura

Post by kurkura »

It's goot to know the basis of English -I'm from Poland.I can find solution on english-speaking forums.
But to the point - I've been thinking of making an image because did not change anything in fstab so it may work out.
I'll let you know about the results.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

It does not matter if you changed something in fstab or not, if your system uses UUIDs like Ubuntu does, then the UUID will change when you try to boot from another disk. Every disk, and after every format, the UUID will change.