EAC - Exact Audio Copy -> Not able to rip songs

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
radivx

EAC - Exact Audio Copy -> Not able to rip songs

Post by radivx »

Hi,
Thanks for a nice virtualization system. The parts of the software I've tested so far is very good and I'm looking forward to watch the continued development.

I've got a problem with the CD-ripping software EAC. It looks like the VBOX CD-rom isn't directly connected to the physical CD-reader. This prevents EAC from sending commands and be able to do a secure ripping at all. Gap detection won't work either.

Do you have any solutions/workarounds so that VirtualBox gives the guest complete control over the CD-ROM device?
hekat

Post by hekat »

HI !

I'm experimenting exactly the same problem ... too bad, i use my virtual box only to rip my audio cd. Any of the configuration i've tried seem to work. I use EAC to rip CD and it freeze every time it sends command the reader even when passthrough is enabled. It works perfectly on vmware and native windows so i don't think the problem comes from EAC. IIf anyone as an answer to this problem, i would be really glad.

thanks !

by the way, i'm using virtual box 1.6.2 on a debian testing.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

There are a few issues with audio cds with VirtualBox. Use Google to search for audio cd on the virtualbox.org website, there you will find some bug tickets with the proper information.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Sighh. This is the fourth ans to this Q in two weeks. Why don't you guys search the forums. The VBox CD/DVD driver only reads ISO format devices. A data CD or a DVD is ISO formatted. Audio CDs use a more primitive digital streaming format. VMware supports this. VBox doesn't. End of story. Sorry
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
HolgerB

Post by HolgerB »

@TerryE:
Agreed ! They should have done some search via forum search and/or google but IMHO this is no reason to write that harsh.
Audio CDs use a more primitive digital streaming format. VMware supports this. VBox doesn't. End of story. Sorry
From perspective of a customer this is the wrong standpoint (even f you are not payed by Sun, aren´t you ?).

My perspective as Sun / Innotek would rather be:
I try to place my product in a very competetive market.
If VMWare supports it then I should do everything to support it as fast as possible.

So the answer should be more like:
VMware supports this. VBox doesn't.
We´ll change this as soon as possible.
Then: End of story.

The VBox CD driver should provide low level access to the CD/DVD-ROM in order to make software as EAC run
under Windows Guests even under Linux Hosts.

VBox is great but there are some free alternatives:
Xen and VMWare just to name two. In regard to "Windows on Linux" there is also WINE (not to forget).
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

HolgarB, I am not sure that "End of Story. Sorry" is harsh. Terse perhaps. Realistic perhaps. I agree that a customer might find this unacceptable, but picking up the Webster definition a customer is someone "that purchases a commodity or service". However, Sun is giving this product away free; this service is provided by people like me free. So a more appropriate noun is user of VBox.

The thing about FLOSS products is that they also rely on community support to grown and develop. I am not trying to hard sell VBox here; I am trying to provide a service to its community of users. Of course, I could be "less harsh" by considering every nuance and interpretation of each word I write but then my posting rate would also go down by a factor of two. Are you willing to fill this gap? Because if you don't then a lot of users are going to have their Qs unanswered. Let's suggest a quid-pro quo: go to the "unanswered posts"; answer half a dozen sensibly and come back -- then I will apologise.

If you want this story not to end then can I suggest that you develop a well argued case for developing this functionality and submit it as an enhancement request to the VBox team through the bugtrack system, or better still: download the source and develop the functionality yourself then contribute it to the community.
c123

Post by c123 »

Worse than not searching the forum/bug tracking system, the interface (Mac version is any case) is clearly wrong then - the "Enable Passthrough" gives the impression (in version 2) or even states via a tooltip (version 1.6.4) that ATAPI commands are sent direct to the drive, so audio extraction should be possible.

As this works in VMWare, and given the label, I thought it must work in Vbox and just spent a good hour trying to get it working :( A google search brought me to this forum (which I'm acquainted with anyway).

Nevermind, delighted that Vbox has hit version 2 and that now host networking and NAT port forwarding is working on Macs, finally :))
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

I need to apologise here my last sequence of posts wasn't not correct. I missed an important chunk of code in the ATA driver. If you download the OSE source, the routine to look at is src/VBox/Devices/Storage/DevATA.cpp. There is a passthrough switch enabled:

Code: Select all

static void atapiParseCmd(ATADevState *s) {
    const uint8_t *pbPacket;
    pbPacket = s->aATAPICmd;
    if (s->fATAPIPassthrough)
        atapiParseCmdPassthrough(s);
    else
        atapiParseCmdVirtualATAPI(s);
}
where atapiParseCmdPassthrough parses the ATAPI command and the following ATAPI commands are routed: BLANK, CLOSE_TRACK_SESSION, ERASE_10, FORMAT_UNIT, GET_CONFIGURATION, GET_EVENT_STATUS_NOTIFICATION, GET_PERFORMANCE, INQUIRY, LOAD_UNLOAD_MEDIUM, MECHANISM_STATUS, MODE_SELECT_10, MODE_SENSE_10, PAUSE_RESUME, PLAY_AUDIO_10, PLAY_AUDIO_12, PLAY_AUDIO_MSF, PREVENT_ALLOW_MEDIUM_REMOVAL, READ_10, READ_12, READ_BUFFER, READ_BUFFER_CAPACITY, READ_CAPACITY, READ_CD, READ_CD_MSF, READ_DISC_INFORMATION, READ_DVD_STRUCTURE, READ_FORMAT_CAPACITIES, READ_SUBCHANNEL, READ_TOC_PMA_ATIP, READ_TRACK_INFORMATION, REPAIR_TRACK, REPORT_KEY, REPORT_LUNS, REQUEST_SENSE, RESERVE_TRACK, SCAN, SEEK_10, SEND_CUE_SHEET, SEND_DVD_STRUCTURE, SEND_EVENT, SEND_KEY, SEND_OPC_INFORMATION, SET_CD_SPEED, SET_READ_AHEAD, SET_STREAMING, START_STOP_UNIT, STOP_PLAY_SCAN, SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE, TEST_UNIT_READY, VERIFY_10, WRITE_10, WRITE_12, WRITE_AND_VERIFY_10, WRITE_BUFFER.

Other ATAPI commands are ignored. Hence many CD applications will work if you enable passthrough. However, there have been a steady stream of posts with people reporting problems so the implementation is definitely fragile.