snow leopard on lion

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
francescoscalise
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: ubuntu11.04, windows XP

snow leopard on lion

Post by francescoscalise »

I'm trying to install Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) on a Mac OS X 10.7.1 (Lion) but the installion doesn't start (see the attachment for further information).
I'm reading the new License agreement from Apple and I read on the web that it is possible to do, even if VBox offer the possibility to install the Server version of SL.
The question is: is it possible the virtualization? Even if it isn't the Server version ...

Thanks,
Francesco
Attachments
vbox installation
vbox installation
vbox_error.jpg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 14412 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: snow leopard on lion

Post by Perryg »

Snow leopard *server is all that has been released to run virtualized not the full version. Lion does not have this restriction although it is not supported yet in VirtualBox.
Please read http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31104
francescoscalise
Guest OSses: ubuntu11.04, windows XP

Post by francescoscalise »

I just read carefully the SLA.

Thanks,
Francesco
leye
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, Vista, Win 7

Post by leye »

Hi guys,

I have the same problem. I'm running MacOSX Lion 10.7.1 on an Apple iMac and tried to install Snow Leopard Server from the Install DVD in VB, but getting the same screen and nothing moves anymore. So in other words, impossible to install.

Perryg,

I would appreciate not getting the hint to viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31104 which you copied almost a hundred times into the different posts and which are absolutely not helping.
It is a real issue that the Snow Server Installation is not working on lion as host.

Hope somebody has a solution.

Thanks

Jorg
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

@leye.

Well if you would read the post you would see that VirtualBox does not support this yet. Now it is open source and if you can find a (legal) way to make it happen I am sure everyone will be happy. But some don't know and do not take the time to read before they post and as such I am sure this will be posted again in the future.
NMATT
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSX

Post by NMATT »

@perryg

Can you please explain further the wording of the SL client EULA that Apple considers to prohibit virtualising SL client on a system running Lion?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

NMATT wrote:@perryg

Can you please explain further the wording of the SL client EULA that Apple considers to prohibit virtualising SL client on a system running Lion?
You need to ask Apple these things. What the DEVs explained to me is the Lion client is able to be virtualized, leopard can only be the server since that is what the SLA specifies. If you read the Lion SLA it does not mention the ability to run leopard clients. The same restrictions apply as to it must be on apple hardware, & only on apple OSes.
NMATT

Post by NMATT »

Perryg wrote: If you read the Lion SLA it does not mention the ability to run leopard clients.
But it also doesn't mention the ability to run Leopard Server or SL Server - but both are allowed (apparently)...This is inconsistent and makes no sense.

I see nothing in the Lion EULA that prohibits running SL client in a virtual machine hosted on Lion. (This is akin to running Windows or another OS that are not mentioned in the EULA)

I see nothing in the SL EULA that prohibits it being installed/run on a host machine running Lion. (Only one copy of SL would be installed/used per computer.)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Everyone wants it to be their way, but no one wants to contact the source and ask them for their blessing.
We can debate this forever and it will not change anything. The way it stands as far as VirtualBox and Oracle sees it has been stated.
If apple and oracle want to change this I will be more than happy to do so.
NMATT

Post by NMATT »

It is not obvious who one would contact at Apple to ask for clarification.

I guess what I find most odd is that the vendors of the VM host software appear to be the ones controlling whether client/server work - rather than leaving it in the hands of the user to read/agree and not violate the EULA.
blouis79
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: debian 5.04

Post by blouis79 »

It is possible that installation problems are caused by newer hardware than the installer will run on?

If so, there is a fix for that using netrestore of an image made using server image utility - detailed instructions here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/32 ... 0&tstart=0

(I'm still figuring out if I want to run virtual SL on Lion or just use SL at present having managed the install on macbook pro 8,3 early 2011. Have successfully installed SL Server 10.6.8.)
wf_
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by wf_ »

I was trying to do the same thing - install a snow leopard vbox guest on Mac OS X Lion host, and came across exactly the same problem... :cry: