SAS/Sata driver for XP

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
greyclear
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows

SAS/Sata driver for XP

Post by greyclear »

For the sake of testing and experimenting. I tested different intel matrix controllers on XP. I had slipstreamed in 8.9.0.1023 but it would blue screen on install on an AMD desktop raid 0 sata II setup. Tested it on a poweredge 2900 and I get setup cannot find iaStor.sys. 7x, 8x 9x 10x all did but I decided to try it post XP setup, change the controller from IDE to SATA and it was fine. I found that 7.8.0.1012 gave me the same speed as 10.1.0.1008. CPU usage was in high 90% range on 8 9 and 10 range but 7 gave me the same results and lower CPU usage. On the poweredge I can't even do the post setup, just says the computer does not meet the min requirements for installing the software.. so ill worry about that later.

So where would I find SAS drivers for XP? Perc6i Controller is what the host uses. If slipstreaming in sata drivers for XP didnt work I bet Ill have the same result on sas controller
scp
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 2003, 7, 8.1

Re: SAS/Sata driver for XP

Post by scp »

It is the LSI SAS 3000 series 8-port with 1068:
http://www.lsi.com/support/products/Pag ... S1068.aspx

For SATA last time I used the F6 Floppy drivers 8.6.0.1007, but 7.8 worked also ok.
greyclear

Post by greyclear »

wonder why slipstream doesnt work :cry: Ill create floppy images of them and try that way see what happens. I forgot which one I used off top of my head during slipstream but see how it goes.

And thanks for finding LSI drivers for me!
greyclear

Post by greyclear »

Didnt work. Setup cannot copy the file: symmpi.sys... same exact issue w/sata controllers it cannot copy iastor.sys but they were slipstream in. I created a floppy image of the LSI I didnt slipstream in :puzzled: any thoughts?
scp
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 2003, 7, 8.1

Post by scp »

Yes, slipstreaming storage drivers in XP ist not trivial.
Which method didt you use?
I had good results with http://www.nliteos.com/.
greyclear

Post by greyclear »

nlite is what I used for sata but for the LSI I just used magicdisk to create a floppy image F6 and I get setup cannot copy file. Same thing when I try to install XP on sata controller except the sata controllers are already slipped in. LSI is not.. go figure
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

The most common cause for this is the simple fact that the floppy drive is not available anymore at some point of the setup, ea: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/ ... 51422.html
greyclear

Post by greyclear »

hmm makes sense think I read somewhere that was a problem but I tried to backtrack thru my history to find it. Sure enough slipped in LSI drivers, worked like a charm lol why are sata drivers such a pain? :evil:
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

They are not a pain, the procedure everyone wants to use is a pain and completely useless for real and virtual machines, just deploy with ide only and incorporate a second deploy system that adds xxx drivers from the installed OS, notify the user to switch bios settings and your done.
chriswyatt
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by chriswyatt »

The SAS drivers are easy to slipstream in to the XP installation. And now I've noticed VirtualBox allows you to have the CD drive on SAS as well. For me, this seems better than installing with IDE, then switching afterwards.