VirtualBox with VMWare image for Android development

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ONEEYEMAN
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

VirtualBox with VMWare image for Android development

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi, ALL,
I have a weird problem that I need help with.
I have a dual boot laptop with Windows 7 and Gentoo Linux. I installed VirtualBox on top of my Linux (Gentoo) installation and VMWare Player on top of Windows 7. From the company I am working for I got the Ubuntu virtual machine that is ready for Android development and copied it to both OS.
When running Windows 7 with the player and the vm, I don't have any problems. Everything works. I am able to develop and run the program on the phone.
When running Gentoo Linux with VirtualBox I can do the development, but can't run anything on the phone. The phone is recognized by the VirtualBox, I can see the device in its "Device" list. Moreover I can see the phone in Eclipse when trying to run the application on the "Android Device Chooser" dialog. Problem is that every time I try to run something the dialog pops up which says: "Choose a running Android device" and the "Phone Status" for the phone is set to offline. Now I didn't convert the image from the vmdk into the VirtualBox format. I just open the vmdk file inside VirtualBox. I also tried to set USB Device Filter, but no success.
When the phone connects to the machine I set it up as "Charge Only".
Does anybody knows what am I missing?

This is how I installed VirtualBox:

Code: Select all

igor@IgorReinCloud ~ $ emerge -pv virtualbox

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ~] app-emulation/virtualbox-4.1.2  USE="additions alsa extensions java opengl python qt4 sdk -doc -headless -pulseaudio -vboxwebsrv -vnc" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

* IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.
Thank you.