VB is eating my space

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Alientcp
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

VB is eating my space

Post by Alientcp »

Long story short.
I have a 100 gb partition for linux studio 11.04
gave 10 gb to a virtual w7 partition which was not enough, since i couldnt find a way to resize the partition i removed it from the menu on VB

I created another w7 partition, this time with 30gb. The system froze a few minutes while creating the partition, so i left like 1 hour to do other stuff, when i returned, the computer was locked (its a laptop), i unlocked it, but i didnt see the new partition on the VB manager.

So i created another 30gb partition, this one is already working fine, no problem there, but when i checked my space available, i have 13 gb of free space only, i know about the other 17gb, and the other 30gb i just used for VB thats 60gb total, but there are still 40gb missing, doing basic math (its a fresh ubuntu instalation), i can only think on the first 2 failed windows 7 installations attemps worth of 40gb of space.

Any ideas?
Alientcp
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Re: VB is eating my space

Post by Alientcp »

Oh, never mind, apparently my brother was using my computer while i was away and he deleted from the vb folder the previous w7 instalation that i coulndt find, after clearing the trash, the space returned. Thank you. Please close.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: VB is eating my space

Post by Sasquatch »

Always look closer at home for the solution ;). I do wonder why you let it create fixed drives. Those aren't particularly slower, the performance difference is negligible and the time spend on allocating the space is better spend at something else, like installing the Guest OS. Dynamic disk just start small and grow to the set limit in time. These can also be enlarged with the CLI tools after which you can use partitioning software/tools to enlarge the inside.

Locked on user request.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.